Beyer DT880s + ¼ to mini Sennheiser adapter + Hornet...
Mar 9, 2006 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

upstateguy

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello All,

I have been listening to my DT880s lately. Tonight while I was comparing my Hornet to a tube amp, I plugged the Beyers into the Sennheiser mini to 1/4 adapter so I could quickly go from one amp to the other with the ¼ plug.

What I accidentally discovered was that the sound from the Sennheiser adapter was brighter and louder than the sound from the factory 3.5 mini housed inside the Beyer ¼ plug. I A-B’d back and forth many times and with many different sources and the difference was more that just noticeable. The entire soundstage, clarity and high end seemed to open up when I used the Beyer ¼ plug with the Sennheiser adapter. Conversely, when I used the Beyer mini plug alone, it sounded more laid back, quieter and almost dull in comparison.

This reminds me of descriptions of the differences between silver and copper cable I have read, but I refuse to believe that a few inches of Sennheiser cable can make such a dramatic difference.

I also tried a Radio Shack gold plated ¼ to mini adapter with the full Beyer plug in place, (¼ over mini), but it sounded no different than the Beyer mini alone.

Using the Beyer 3.5 mini alone or screwing on the ¼ plug and using the Sennheiser ¼ to mini adapter, shouldn’t make any difference to the sound at all, should it?

What’s going on here? Did anyone else notice this? Or is the biggest placebo effect I have experienced so far?

Regards

USG

Edit for clarification

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 5
You would think going through the mini to large then back to mini would dampen the sound a bit.I have a new dt990 and cant wait to give it a try.Will report back on it tonight.

Mar 10, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #5 of 5
When you have a new phone right out of the box and are setting up for burn in its hard to tell what is too loud since you are not used to them.Im burning in my new dt990 at louder volume than i can handle coming from my radio.Its not blaring but its loud enough to hear from the phones back resting on a shelf.Last thing i want is to find i blew the drivers.Any way to gage best loudness for most effective over 100 hour burn in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back