Beyer dt770s, a better source, and your bass-rattled brain
Apr 17, 2004 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

plainsong

Headphoneus Supremus: Untie!
I met luukas in the city earlier today, and I took the Beyer dt700s (non-pro) off his hands to start building a modest pc-setup for my husband. He included a Behringer mixer to power the headphones as a sort-of temporary fix, but I'm sure I'll be getting an amp for it soon, just as soon as I can figure out how to get a modest portable amp that can be powered in Europe, which seems to be an impossible feat.
frown.gif
Luukas is even letting me borrow some cables, and was patient with me when I forgot to pay him. :O What can I say, it's been a long day. I took the money out, and then put it back in my bag.
wink.gif

Anyway, on to my impressions:

With the 15gb euro-capped iPod.

The Cure - Pictures of You 224AAC

Oh, I think I found where the bass was hiding on the iPod.
basshead.gif
My impressions here will echo the impressions of many, very low lows, but hearing some harshness, and sibilance is notably worse than the dt990s unamped from the ipod. Well, the 770s are closed, so that makes sense. And the sibilance is the inability of the ipod to really drive these dt770s. But even through all that, they grooved. You could feel the luuuuuv.
biggrin.gif

As a side-note, I prefer the ms-1s with the ipod. Easier to drive, so nicer to listen to.
biggrin.gif

With Nad 542C and Perreaux sxh-1, same song on cd:

Oh yes, source and amp matter.
wink.gif
Sibilance is gone, but that can be as much attributed to the fact that it isn't a lossy format as it can to the fact that this is a grown-up source. No harshness, that's for sure. Big huge spoonfulls of heaping warm bass. It's not as muddy as with the iPod, and not as muddy as my memory of the dt990s. The bass is there but is tighter than I expected. So these Beyers will really grow with you.

Isolation

These don't isolate so well, nor do they keep in sound so well when compared to Ultrasone HIFI650 Trackmasters. But they won't leak as much as a fully open headphone either. If I want that isolation, I'll use the ety 4s. Etys will also give you some truth, and truth has its place in audio.
etysmile.gif

General Observations

Now compared to listening to the same song with the Senn600s, I prefer the Senns. What you hear is much more natural. But are the dt770s inaccurate? I don't think so. To me, it sounds like they put the bass front and center, but the rest of the information is there. Unlike the Senns, which seem to try to even things out across the spectrum of sound for a more natural sound.

These sound closed, no getting around it. But this kind of echoey sound can create its own sort-of soundstage that can be fun with albums such as the 8-mile soundtrack. I'll never think that album was well-mixed, but this brings the best bits of it out and makes it groove as it seems to be intended to. I suspect it will do the same with other less-than-well-mixed rock/pop/hiphop recordings. To my ears, many such recordings are intended for sound systems which feature the bass line. But I'll say again that I'm getting the bass without the expense of the rest of range of sound. I can hear everything.

Final thoughts

I know from my dt990 days that these will be ideal computer cans if you can afford to add an amp. Sort-of high-end pc cans.
smily_headphones1.gif
And for dvd's, well I'm on record as saying that most dvd's should come with a "Made for Beyers" logo on the jewel case.
smily_headphones1.gif
But if you've grown away from computer audio, don't be so quick to chuck the Beyer dt770s. If Grado is too grating for you, and you need to rock occassionally, these will compliment your more serious Senns very nicely, and you won't be sacrificing sound quality. The one will make you appreciate the other, and you end up keeping both.
600smile.gif
basshead.gif

Now when I had the trackmasters, I was a big fan, and while wearing these, I'm a big fan of what they do. It's tough to make a call on it since I don't have the trackmasters here to compare. So I'd conclude from that, that if you need more ice cold accuracy along with the slam, then stick with the Ultrasones. If you already have all the accuracy you need already, or plan on building a multi-headphone system, or just need the Beyer Luuuuuv, then stick with these.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 11
Congrats on the membership in Team Uber-Basshead plainsong. It's always good to know we'll have some enjoyable company at our monthly internet conference meetings.

Apr 17, 2004 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 11
Glad you're enjoying them
wink.gif

Right now I'm on an audio diet - these HD25's need a lot of burning in!

Apr 17, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 11
Plainsong: There is a solution to that amp problem. You just need to use chargeable batterys on meta42 or PPA. That way just use normal charger for the batterys.. and no problem with the voltage

Apr 17, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 11
I dunno if I'm a member of team basshead yet.
wink.gif
It's been fun, but then I start feeling closed-in.
wink.gif
I couldn't survive with just this headphone, but in a headphone arsenal, they fit in nicely.

First impressions of my husband's system, which consist of the Behringer UB502 rack and sblive card... he needs a new card, that's for sure. The UB502 is doing a fair job with the 770s, that is to say, better than I thought. I've got the headphone gain turned just a quarter of the way up and it's more than I can handle if we're just talking about volume.

But I am hearing some sibilance in the top. And that irks me because I know a better source takes care of that.
wink.gif

As for the PCII, yeah I know it will work great, as I used to have one. But my husband won't appreciate the sound difference though. He needs a better soundcard first. Then an amp a little while later. By then I should have my Total Bithead. If he can hear a difference with that, then I know to start looking for an amp.

The mini-me would be ideal for him, but it's impossible to power decently here. There's already a thread on that in the amp forum. It also doesn't seem to take batteries. But as KJ points out, the rechargeable battery route seems to be the only option for us Euro-headfiers. Hint-hint amp builders, we'd pay extra for more power options.
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
Oh, I think I found where the bass was hiding on the iPod.
basshead.gif

Hello plainsong,

Check out the mp3-player group test in the latest issue of "Hifi-lehti". The bass on the iPod is indeed hiding.

Regards,

L.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 11
Well the Beyers amped find the bass, the ms-1 finds the bass, and the etys find the bass if you listen critically.

I was saying it a bit tongue-in-cheek, since the iPod has that reputation of being bass-light. I haven't read the Hi-fi Lehti yet but I'm already disagreeing. If you're able to make the meet this summer, you can test it for yourself and let your ears decide.
biggrin.gif

I know it's sacreligious to say in a bass related thread, but the bass isn't the only part of the sound.
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 11
No need to disagree, plainsong - most portables will show a drop-off of ~ 3 - 6 dB at 20 Hz when challenged with a low impedance load. There are only few exceptions from that rule. In real life that hardly matters, though - and the DT770(Pro/250) will more than make up for that, anyway...
biggrin.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back