Beyer DT770
Feb 25, 2006 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

benton

100+ Head-Fier
Hey I am just looking at these for now but want to know some things before I start researching more about them. Pretty quick answers here.

1. Do these leak at all?

2. Are these good airplane flying phones(won't leak, isolates a little)

3. Is the sound quality on par with HD-555's?

4. What is the beyer sound signature like compare to a Sen?

5. How is the bass?

6. Do they need to be amped?

Thats about it for now. I am just deciding if I want to go from IEM's to these or not.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 11
1: Practically no leakage.

2: Yes, though they are a bit on the big side, so take that into consideration.

3 and 4: Haven't heard the 555 so can't make comment on that.

5: Fantastic!!!!!
basshead.gif
If you like bass, you can't go wrong with these!

6: If you get the 80 ohm version, you can get by without an amp, but no matter which version you get, it will always help.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 11
Check out Meier Audio, link at the top of the page in the "Please Support Head-Fi's Sponsors" section.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
Hey I am just looking at these for now but want to know some things before I start researching more about them. Pretty quick answers here.

1. Do these leak at all?

3. Is the sound quality on par with HD-555's?

5. How is the bass?

Thats about it for now. I am just deciding if I want to go from IEM's to these or not.

1. They don't leak, unless you crank them up to dangerous levels.

2. I use them on planes all the time. They're ideal for planes.

3. The sound quality is better than the HD555, IMHO.

4. They have more bass emphasis and treble emphasis, the midrange can be a little light at times. You may find them to be a little crisper sounding, less warm to a degree. Improves with amplification.

5. The bass is as good as you can get, short of an HD650. That isn't to say the 650 has more, it's just better controlled. Once burned in, the 770 bass is unobtrusive, but always "there." You can pick out a bass line as easily as any other instrument, which I could not do as well on other headphones. They seemingly go deeper than most too. The Bass is the main attraction on these.

6. They don't NEED to be amped, per se. They sound great without amplification. However, with a small amp ( I'm using an SR-71 ) they improve quite noticably. Everything becomes MUCH punchier, the midrange becomes less recessed, and the top end sounds a little more realistic. More "sparkle" I suppose you'd say?

You don't need an amp to enjoy them. You'll probably like them better than the 555 without an amp... they just become so much more delicious with one.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BodiesOfLight
Anyone who would want to be seen with these on in public has balls!

You'd look like some sort of crazed sound engineer.

If you ever see someone in NYC with these on, it's me. I don't leave the house without them.

Meier doesn't have the 32 ohm version for sale... yet. I think they're going to get them eventually.

The only downside to these headphones as a portable is the small holes for air they have... if it's a windy day outside, you'll hear the wind coming in. Since both cups are the same mold, the left can has the hole on the back and the right one has the hole on the front. The newer DT 770 seemingly fixes this, with both holes on the back.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 11
When I demoed these at Guitar Center I thought the highs were definitely present, mids there, bass DEFINITELY there. DT770/80 that is.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
If you ever see someone in NYC with these on, it's me. I don't leave the house without them.

Meier doesn't have the 32 ohm version for sale... yet. I think they're going to get them eventually.

The only downside to these headphones as a portable is the small holes for air they have... if it's a windy day outside, you'll hear the wind coming in. Since both cups are the same mold, the left can has the hole on the back and the right one has the hole on the front. The newer DT 770 seemingly fixes this, with both holes on the back.

I'm really interested in the 32ohm version, having these available for use unamped would be awesome, say out of an iPod.

Only thing that will bother me is the price.

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #10 of 11
1. Do these leak at all?

All headphones leak, to some extent. That said, these are some of the least leakage-prone headphones by a long shot.

Not on par with IEM's, but I've done it, and it does reduce airplane noise to a decent degree. I've also been right next to the engines, and they weren't as good as IEM's.

Not as laid back.

5. How is the bass?

cool.gif

Doesn't get much better than this.

Yes. (But I haven't heard the 80 ohm version.)

Feb 26, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 11
I had a chance to try these out for a short period, but not enought to make a purchase. They were really nice but for the purpose I was going to use them for, I think the super.fi 5 pros are going to be better suite my needs. Thanks for everyones help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back