Beyer DT770 or Grado SR-225?
Mar 30, 2006 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kevin1592

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I am thinking about these two headphones, but I can't decide. Which do you think are better for rock? And which do you think is a better all rounder? Would both be ok unamped? I plan on using them on an ipod. And I heard the 80 ohm version of the DT770 is better then the 250 ohm, but is the 32 ohm even better then the 80 ohms? Thanks for help!

Kevin.

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 9
I own the sr-80s (until saturday that is
very_evil_smiley.gif
) and not too long ago bought a friend a pair of the 80 ohm dt770 from guitar center. So my brief comparison is not with sr-225, but sr-80.

Comfort-goes to the 770. They have nice plush pads. My bowls on the grados are comfortable (they are extremely broken in), just not pleasure to wear.

Isolation- The 770's are closed and the sr-80 (225's as well) are open. Very open. The 770s leak almost no sound and the grados are about as leaking as they come.

Sound- Ahhh and this is what its all about. In this area I very much prefer the grado. Especially for rock. Everything you hear about the grados being great for rock is true. They are fun, fast, and in your face. After burn-in the highs tame and the bass becomes more pronounced and tightened. The dt770s are have a tremendous amount of bass but I feel it can be too much. The bass goes deeper and is more abundant, but it just seems sluggish to me. Amping definatley improves on this however. Both cans do much better with an amp, but I think it is much more of a necessity for the Beyer.

Overall - The dt770 is better than the grado in comfort and isolation, but I very much prefer the grado sound for rock. The grado also will do much better directly out of an ipod, however both phones do benefit greatly from an amp.

The above is my comparison between a sr-80 and dt-770 80 ohm. Not the Sr-225. Please keep that in mind. Hope this helps.

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 9
for what you plan on using them for, i think the grado's are the choice for you. Also consider some MS-1 or MS-2.

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 9
I plan on using them at home (no way I would EVER wear those outside!
icon10.gif
) out of my ipod. I looked into the MS-1's but do you think I could do better for $200? I also thought about the MS-2's but those are out of my price range. Sound quality is very important to me, but so is comfort. I plan on wearing them for long periods of time. What do you think is a decent $150ish amp, that synergies with the grados and beyers? Thanks!

Kevin.

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 9
I wanted to bump this thread up because I basically have the same question with the same preferences as kevin, I'm just looking for more responses. Thanks.

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm a huge Grado fan, but I'd go DT770 on this one. Though it won't sound as good on certain selections, it's just a more multipurpose headphone all around and a better value for the money at around $150-$170.

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 9
I would take a dt 990 over the dt 770 unless you need

1. isolation
2. deeper bass at the loss of some mids and all around sound

As far as grados....well I love the RS-1 and HF-1 I just got, but until then the DT 990 has been my rock headphone
biggrin.gif

Sorry to be off topic but I just wanted to toss that out there.

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 9
The 80 ohm version of the DT770 is a fun headphone and on the end of a good amp, the bass becomes more controlled and you get truly head-splitting thwacks out of them. I find that aspect of them fun in rock music. The 250 ohm version has a little more in the treble.Thundering bass lines with a clear top end. Turned up they are awesome. Turned down (depending on the amp) the sound recedes a little more in the mids.

Grados become harsher to my ears as you go up in volume. I use them at low volumes mostly, where their treble clarity is really beneficial. On really gritty rock, I have to have rests from the Grado sound.

With dt770's an amp is necessary, even with the 80 ohm version. They take quite a lot to drive them well.

Ian

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 9
Wow, seems like the Beyerdynamic wins in a landslide in this one.. Hopefully by the time I get either the DT770 or DT990 I'll have a PA2V2 as well. I love the look of the Beyers too
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back