beyer dt770, 880, 990 replacement pad/cushion--softskin, gel, velour--COMPARE
Mar 9, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #31 of 65
Well - I got mine from a flight equipment store in San Fran - I got the edt 800 in black - threw them on this evening and I am so pleased with the purchase. My dt880s were used so having a brand new and so luxurious a pad has made the headphones feel new. I think this is going to be my main can for a while. The bass is up a bit, the soundstage perhaps down a tiny tiny bit, but more than anything they just feel and look great. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #33 of 65
Yes, its that marv golden site you linked a ways back in this thread. I found it by chance, googling around - emailed to make sure it was in stock - and then ordered. Fast shipping, good communication, etc.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #34 of 65
Arrived but never installed on the Beyers... I found myself listening to the DT880s less and less so they went to a friend. I actually ended up installing the pads on a set of German Maestro GMP 8.35 D. Big improvement in comfort. The sound is a bit better as well... The stock hard plasticky pads with the narrow squared-off openings were not great...

The GMs are on loan to a friend, but I'll take a pic when they return. The all black phone with the soft reddish brown leather pads looks pretty retro and cool...

Heya! I have a pair of the GMP 8.35's.  Love the cans.  Not crazy about the pads.  Do you have a strong couple recs for replacements?  Thanks!

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #35 of 65

Heya! I have a pair of the GMP 8.35's.  Love the cans.  Not crazy about the pads.  Do you have a strong couple recs for replacements?  Thanks!

+1
I recently got the 8.35 and know with time I will need replacement pads. I'm aware of the pads that German Maestro sell but I think I might want to go with something different. Something hopefully I can find on Amazon.ca.

If it all possible I'd like something that improves the overall sound, and affordable. Less than $40 sounds reasonable.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #37 of 65
Just ordered a pair of Brainwavs MP5 pleather replacement pads for $20 on Amazon.  Was considering some Beyerdynamic 770 velours, which ought to fit, too.  Both the GM and 770 cups measure approx 100mm.  Decision ultimately went down to a LOT of reviews singing the praises of the Brainwavs pads.  The fact that they cost much less was only a bonus. Will report when I get them.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #38 of 65
  Just ordered a pair of Brainwavs MP5 pleather replacement pads for $20 on Amazon.  Was considering some Beyerdynamic 770 velours, which ought to fit, too.  Both the GM and 770 cups measure approx 100mm.  Decision ultimately went down to a LOT of reviews singing the praises of the Brainwavs pads.  The fact that they cost much less was only a bonus. Will report when I get them.

Cool! I was interested in the Brainwavs pads for the 8.35, so I'm definitely looking forward to your impressions.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #39 of 65
 Actually, I wasn't quite sure that oval pads would fit the 8.35, but I decided to try the  ATHM-50 velours by Sound Professionals that I already had & they actually fit really nice. Maybe a little too snug, but good.

They change the sound only slightly. It's very subtle. I tried one regular 8.35 D pad on one ear and the velour on the other. From what I can tell the velours make them just a touch warmer in sound. To my ears they sound a little more natural. A nice touch is that with the velours I'm getting a bit of haptic feedback. I actually feel the sensation of drums and other sounds on my ears which is actually kind of nice. I'm enjoying the slightly smoother sound.

The soundstage has also increased slightly. Probably due to the velours being thicker than those flat pads. Overall amplitude seems to have decreased slightly, but that's fine. Glad I did this. I think these velours are staying on the 8.35 D.

Jun 15, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #40 of 65

Those Brainwavez look great, think you made the right choice.

They should make those GMPs look real luxurious-like stuck on your Superman-looking mug.

BTW, how does all that fog and mist affect sound in Seattle? Seems to me that to get the best sound out of your new cans, you should listen to them someplace dryer, like Los Angeles for instance. Just saying.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #41 of 65
The Brainwavs pads were a great call. Perfect fit. Much more comfortable on the German Maestro 8.35's.  Better soundstage.  No longer uncomfortable when I wear glasses. Cool looking.  And only $20.

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #43 of 65
Bass sounds the same to me, however, I'm not amped up yet.  (Settled on a Schiit Fulla.  Next jump will be to an ifi).  These are just the regular HM5 replacement memory foam pleather pads.  

Purchased pads here: 
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=15D6S2NX162SZDMYXH3T

Jun 16, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #44 of 65
  Bass sounds the same to me, however, I'm not amped up yet.  (Settled on a Schiit Fulla.  Next jump will be to an ifi).  These are just the regular HM5 replacement memory foam pleather pads.  

Purchased pads here: 
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=15D6S2NX162SZDMYXH3T

Thought you were trying to decide between the Sony PHA-3, the ALO Continental Dual Mono, or the Chord Hugo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back