Beyer DT770/80 Sibilant/Rattle
Apr 17, 2013 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

KennyBlue

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just bought this new can and pair it with Fiio E11, but I noticed there are some sibilant on some songs and it is quite annoying.
These are just 2 of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk  Bruno Mars Just the way you are   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4H_Zoh7G5A  Jennifer lopez On the Floor
Is it just me having this problem? or the bad qualify of the source?

I have done some reading in this forum and they did mentioned dt770 required some burn in time vary from 50-200 hrs.. Currently I just burn around 30hrs, still haven't seen any improvement on it.

Will this sibilant happen on HD596/650 as well?  not sure should I return this and go for HD650 instead?

Thank you.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:
Hi guys,

I just bought this new can and pair it with Fiio E11, but I noticed there are some sibilant on some songs and it is quite annoying.
These are just 2 of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk  Bruno Mars Just the way you are   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4H_Zoh7G5A  Jennifer lopez On the Floor
Is it just me having this problem? or the bad qualify of the source?

I have done some reading in this forum and they did mentioned dt770 required some burn in time vary from 50-200 hrs.. Currently I just burn around 30hrs, still haven't seen any improvement on it.

Will this sibilant happen on HD596/650 as well?  not sure should I return this and go for HD650 instead?

Thank you.

dt 770s are slightly sibilant to my ears too, they're just a bright headphone, thats all. its not THAT bad imo, i only noticed it on a few songs and it really wasnt terrible. you can try messing around with an eq and lower the 4-8 kHz area until you find something that fits. as thats where sibilance usually occurs (although it can go further aswell). i doubt very much that any amount of "burn in" will change anything and i cant comment on the sennys as i never heard either of them.

btw, if you're listening to music primarily on youtube, you can expect sibilance and all sorts of negative outcomes, as their files are pretty compressed. try downloading high quality files and see if some of the sibilance goes away. 320kbps mps3 or flac is what id recommend, but there are many alternatives if you wish.

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:
dt 770s are slightly sibilant to my ears too, they're just a bright headphone, thats all. its not THAT bad imo, i only noticed it on a few songs and it really wasnt terrible. you can try messing around with an eq and lower the 4-8 kHz area until you find something that fits. as thats where sibilance usually occurs (although it can go further aswell). i doubt very much that any amount of "burn in" will change anything and i cant comment on the sennys as i never heard either of them.

btw, if you're listening to music primarily on youtube, you can expect sibilance and all sorts of negative outcomes, as their files are pretty compressed. try downloading high quality files and see if some of the sibilance goes away. 320kbps mps3 or flac is what id recommend, but there are many alternatives if you wish.

I've tried to lower down the 4-8 kHz area until the minimal, but still can hear some sibilant, especially on the bass level. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk  Bruno Mars Just the way you are,  <-- it happens on 2.20
I also compared it with my Sony extra bass earphone (without amp).. the bass definitely cannot compete with DT770. 
The bass on DT770 is much more heavier than Sony earbud. Maybe this is the reason why the sibilant is so obvious on DT770. 
Perhaps it is a good thing since everything is so clear now. 

I've downloaded 320kbps mp3 and flac format, it is still the same. i doubt it is the song problem.

maybe i should take more time to burn this cans and see whether can reduce the sibilant or not.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 23
^Sibilance has nothing to do with bass. The dt-770 is a bit prone to sibilance, not that it should be that bad. Some songs are not produced well, therefore they might be sibilant. Production quality of music is at least as important as the gear

EQ around some 7-9 kHz, just reduce some 2-3 dB. that should help.

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

I've tried to lower down the 4-8 kHz area until the minimal, but still can hear some sibilant, especially on the bass level. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjhCEhWiKXk  Bruno Mars Just the way you are,  <-- it happens on 2.20
I also compared it with my Sony extra bass earphone (without amp).. the bass definitely cannot compete with DT770. 
The bass on DT770 is much more heavier than Sony earbud. Maybe this is the reason why the sibilant is so obvious on DT770. 
Perhaps it is a good thing since everything is so clear now. 

I've downloaded 320kbps mp3 and flac format, it is still the same. i doubt it is the song problem.

maybe i should take more time to burn this cans and see whether can reduce the sibilant or not.

Quote:
^Sibilance has nothing to do with bass. The dt-770 is a bit prone to sibilance, not that it should be that bad. Some songs are not produced well, therefore they might be sibilant. Production quality of music is at least as important as the gear

^ this. poor production would be my guess aswell. and as davidsh said, bass and sibilance are unrelated. id forget about it if i were you... its only two songs, how bad can it be?

i wont comment any further on burn in, ill just say that i wouldnt get my hopes up if i were you.

i listened to that song on both my m-100 and my dt770s and detected no sibilance on either. i herd alot of hiss (720p btw) and poor recording, thats what i heard...

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 23

you are right David. Sibilant occurs between 5 - 10 kHz.. I tried to listen a few sibilant sensitive songs. It really reduce sibilant. Thanks alot man..

Quote:

^ this. poor production would be my guess aswell. and as davidsh said, bass and sibilance are unrelated. id forget about it if i were you... its only two songs, how bad can it be?

i wont comment any further on burn in, ill just say that i wouldnt get my hopes up if i were you.

i listened to that song on both my m-100 and my dt770s and detected no sibilance on either. i herd alot of hiss (720p btw) and poor recording, thats what i heard...

True, actually i like the sound signature of this cans, i should listen to more songs before make any decision.

Anyway Im using Asus Xonar DX sound card, there are two front-out input, 1 front-panel and 1 back. Usually i connect my 2.1 speaker to the back and headphone on front-panel. But today i decided to switch around and see how it goes. Surprisingly the sound is much more cleaner when i plug my headphone at the back. Not sure why this happens. Thought it should be the same.

The only problem is the stock 3.5mm male to male cable between my sound card input and Fiio E11 is too short! so i have find something to hold my E11 or else it just hang there. Guess i need to buy a longer cable for this. Or maybe DIY myself if possible?

It is kidda weird setup. Headphone connect at the back while speaker on front-panel. Still finding a way to make a perfect setup here.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

True, actually i like the sound signature of this cans, i should listen to more songs before make any decision.

Anyway Im using Asus Xonar DX sound card, there are two front-out input, 1 front-panel and 1 back. Usually i connect my 2.1 speaker to the back and headphone on front-panel. But today i decided to switch around and see how it goes. Surprisingly the sound is much more cleaner when i plug my headphone at the back. Not sure why this happens. Thought it should be the same.

The only problem is the stock 3.5mm male to male cable between my sound card input and Fiio E11 is too short! so i have find something to hold my E11 or else it just hang there. Guess i need to buy a longer cable for this. Or maybe DIY myself if possible?

It is kidda weird setup. Headphone connect at the back while speaker on front-panel. Still finding a way to make a perfect setup here.

im unfamiliar with that sound card (or any sound cards), but ive heard its name thrown about here and there... are you sure you need the e11 at all? 

a new cable can be had for very very cheep, i would hop over to the nearest electronics shop and get one. DIYing a cable is possible, but i wouldnt have the faintest idea how.

there are many reasons for different jacks sounding different (other than placebos), perhaps a different output impedance? is the Xonar able to give you a line out signal?

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

im unfamiliar with that sound card (or any sound cards), but ive heard its name thrown about here and there... are you sure you need the e11 at all? 

a new cable can be had for very very cheep, i would hop over to the nearest electronics shop and get one. DIYing a cable is possible, but i wouldnt have the faintest idea how.

there are many reasons for different jacks sounding different (other than placebos), perhaps a different output impedance? is the Xonar able to give you a line out signal?

yea with E11 i can feel the bass more tight and warmer sound. Without Amp also pretty good already. Might need to get 1 cable later.

Too bad xonar dx just provide 3.5mm front jack, no line out
size]

Btw im quite happy with current setup. Hopefully it will get better after 1 week burn in.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 23
Mine DT770 pro 250 are sibilant as well, but i find it annoying just on poor level songs, as Mp3 r AAc...
When i listen to Dream Theater .wav files, the sound is very clear e clean.

Actually they are not meant for reproduction, but most for editing... and the 250Ohms doesn't help with the forgiveness...

Otherwise, the work on the 6-10Khz range is great... 

At the beginning i didn't like them, but if you like a challenge, with a good equalizer you will be able to fit them for every kind of music... 

My two cents...

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:
Mine DT770 pro 250 are sibilant as well, but i find it annoying just on poor level songs, as Mp3 r AAc...
When i listen to Dream Theater .wav files, the sound is very clear e clean.

Actually they are not meant for reproduction, but most for editing... and the 250Ohms doesn't help with the forgiveness...

Otherwise, the work on the 6-10Khz range is great... 

At the beginning i didn't like them, but if you like a challenge, with a good equalizer you will be able to fit them for every kind of music... 

My two cents...

ugh... well heres my two cents:

320kbps audio, together with 256 kbps aac are a controversial subject, especially here on head-fi. some say that they can tell the difference between lossy and lossless, some say its scientifically impossible to tell the difference and would ask you to take an abx test to prove claims to the contrary. qualify your statements when talking about these matters, and explain that its your opinion. most especially on your first post...

dream theater have high quality productions, try a 320 kbps mp3 of a track you like and ask yourself if you can tell a difference.

as to impedance and forgiveness, care to explain what you mean?

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 23
^I guess he mean the headphone is made for studio use. Also, I guess he mean that the 250 ohm version has a frequency response that makes music the less forgiving than for example the 80 ohm version.

Apr 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #12 of 23
Honestly, if you're in a position where you can afford the HD650 or HD600 or even HD598, you are okay with open headphones and you're sure you're serious about headphones, just return the DT770. The HD650 work fine with the E11 + DX and you'll forego all the sound quality issues plus you won't have to consider new headphones for a very long time.
That's how I look at it anyway.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #13 of 23
If you bought the DT770s and were surprised by their sibilance, you didn't research enough. And the HD650 is not sibilant, but you could do much, much better for what they cost. They are one of the most overpriced headphones on the market.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:
^I guess he mean the headphone is made for studio use. Also, I guess he mean that the 250 ohm version has a frequency response that makes music the less forgiving than for example the 80 ohm version.

does the frequency response of the dt 770s change so much with the different impedance versions? i was under the impression than high impedance is good for recording studios because that way many people can have their headphones plugged in without the need for alot of voltage/current/whatever it was. also, less sensitivity to hiss and noise? i admit (and its evident) i didnt research that much on the subject, but i fail to see how high impedance headphones are less forgiving...

Quote:
If you bought the DT770s and were surprised by their sibilance, you didn't research enough. And the HD650 is not sibilant, but you could do much, much better for what they cost. They are one of the most overpriced headphones on the market.

i think thats rather unfair. some people, like me, like a bass heavy signature for example. the dt 770s are highly regarded on this forum and are often recommended to newcomers. i enjoyed them very much at the time. infact the only reason, other than wanting a general upgrade, that i decided to get different headphones was that my ears are very sensitive to treble, and their signature is too bright for me. try as i might i couldnt find a proper eq setting that didnt distort the music dramatically, so i looked to get other headphones... imho, the dt 770s are great. they respond VERY well to bassy equalization and are amazingly comfortable.
im speaking of the 250 ohm version btw. thats the one i own.

Apr 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

does the frequency response of the dt 770s change so much with the different impedance versions? i was under the impression than high impedance is good for recording studios because that way many people can have their headphones plugged in without the need for alot of voltage/current/whatever it was. also, less sensitivity to hiss and noise? i admit (and its evident) i didnt research that much on the subject, but i fail to see how high impedance headphones are less forgiving...

i think thats rather unfair. some people, like me, like a bass heavy signature for example. the dt 770s are highly regarded on this forum and are often recommended to newcomers. i enjoyed them very much at the time. infact the only reason, other than wanting a general upgrade, that i decided to get different headphones was that my ears are very sensitive to treble, and their signature is too bright for me. try as i might i couldnt find a proper eq setting that didnt distort the music dramatically, so i looked to get other headphones... imho, the dt 770s are great. they respond VERY well to bassy equalization and are amazingly comfortable.
im speaking of the 250 ohm version btw. thats the one i own.

It's just that sibilance is notorious in the DT range. Try the M-Audio Q40. Very bassy, but with a more refined sound, and no sibilance. The HD650 won't have the bass you're looking for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back