beyer DT440 vs grado sr80
Feb 13, 2005 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dino

New Head-Fier
Anyone has ever used this pair of headphones?
I found them while searching for grados sr80.
both are 32 ohms but the beyer have circumaureal pads for better comfort.

Feb 13, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 11
I'd recommend to go for the DT440, 'cause of better comfort, less harshness in the highs, less annoying handling (no rotating earpieces and cable tangle) - but it might depend a bit on your location and prices and availability there, as well...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 13, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 11
Yup, headroom price shows $150 for 440 and $95 for sr80.

I prefer the 440 provided, like what people say, they sound very much like 531 - smooth, neutrally balanced with sennheiser-like distant presentation. Some say dt440 headband are prone to cracking.

However if you like agressive and very forward sound you might prefer Grados. Like you noted, its comfort is really nothing to be desired, unless your ears were made of metal.

Feb 13, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 11
I know that both are open and am considering either the alessandro ms-1 and the beyer dt440 myself but how much do they leak noise and let in noise. Would it be impossible to use them on a relatively noisy bus for both listening and the people sitting next to you? I would be using them un-amped from an ipod mini btw. Thanks in advance for your help

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 11
To the original poster, if comfort is your main concern, you should seriously try to find somewhere to try these on for yourself. There are plenty of people with fragile ears or that hate the smell of grado's, but opinions are like buttholes.

My opinion is people complain too much! I fall asleep listening to my sr60s

Feb 13, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon
My opinion is people complain too much! I fall asleep listening to my sr60s

Hmm ... maybe you're right. But my ear hurts after about an hour so that I need to take a break every now and then. And the fact that beyers are more comfortable doesn't help much.
icon10.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 11
I'll be the first to admit it takes a couple days, the first night after a couple hours my ears were pretty red, not too comfortable. Sounded so good though, I couldn't take them off.

May 7, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #8 of 11
I've had both Dt440 and MS1

I prefer the Ms1 because it's a better balanced phone, sounds more
correct as well as being fun . The music makes more sense, I can also listen to them for hours because of the and comfort and lightness. The sound is more 'live' as opposed to processed. But don't have the sound stage the Dt440's have.

The Dt440's are nice but they have a upper mid balance, bouncy bass and something funny going on in the upper treble , they are more refined and slightly clearer in the mids, detailed - they are comfortable but kinda clunky to wear and get heavy after an hour or so.

May 7, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 11
Hello Nak Man, glad to see your posts around back again !!

May 7, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 11
dunno why no one has pointed this out but the padding on the headband of dt440 is atrocious, it doesn't help that the headphone weighs a ton. After 30 mins, you'll have a sore spot on top of your head. Scientific research has shown dt440 to cause permanent brain damage. You've been warned.

sonically, dt440 has deeper and higher quantity of bass and recessed vocals. sr80 has tighter bass and emphasized vocals. imo, dt440 is not worth $160. I wouldn't pay more than $120 for it. For all the good things I've heard about dt531, dt440 is a huge disappointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back