beyer dt250-80 question
Jul 4, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Audio&Me wrote: The AKG 501 had no bass, weak upper bass, that's about it.

Who said anything about the 501's bass in this thread
confused.gif

Anyway, I've been interested in these Beyers 250s for some time. lini commented on how the treble of the 80 ohm version of this phone seemed recessed compared to the 250 ohm version.

I haven't really seen anyone recommend the Beyer 250/250 but it seems like it would be a very good sounding, comfortable, closed headphone. Anyone have a good word to put in for them (assuming the use of sufficient amplification) or a recommendation for a better closed phone, preferably with velvet-type pads?

Jul 4, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #18 of 32
I've read consistent reviews in the past saying the Beyer 250-80s have a rolled off high end. I had long considered a pair myself in fact, but this consistent mentioning of a rolled off treble kept me away.

A lot of people seem to forget about the Sony MDR-D66s. They're quite nice for the $89 pricetag, certainly more "listenable" then the vaunted Sony MDR-V6s.

Jul 4, 2002 at 4:34 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by hokiefritz

Who said anything about the 501's bass in this thread
confused.gif

Anyway, I've been interested in these Beyers 250s for some time. lini commented on how the treble of the 80 ohm version of this phone seemed recessed compared to the 250 ohm version.

I haven't really seen anyone recommend the Beyer 250/250 but it seems like it would be a very good sounding, comfortable, closed headphone. Anyone have a good word to put in for them (assuming the use of sufficient amplification) or a recommendation for a better closed phone, preferably with velvet-type pads?

hokiefritz,
On Wednesday, ask Todd about the 250/250s and the differences between them and the 250/80s. If you want, I'll be glad to bring mine to the show and you can hear for yourself if these (recessed treble) guys in this discussion are all wet or not. I'll say no more, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Cheers!

Jul 4, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #20 of 32
Very kind of you to offer, kwkarth. I am very curious about both versions of the Beyer 250. I would like to hear them if you really don't mind. Maybe Headroom will have both the 80 and 250 ohm versions available on the tour.

I agree with you about the D66, Vertigo-1. They're nice little 'phones.

Jul 4, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #21 of 32
Oh, it was actually headroom, not beyer that mentioned the beyers had added bass, causing me to purchase them hehe.

"Their only downside is that they are a bit warm sounding due to added bass"

Ok, I always thought the senn 280's were closer to neutral... how about some more friendly debate?
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie. <-- loves bass, getting grados ^^

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:28 AM Post #22 of 32
I tried my dt250-80's today with this thread in mind... they honestly don't seem to lack any treble. I checked them against the jbl s38 speakers on my home system and they are extremely close in terms of separation and balance--the track I used was a Bernard Herrmann/London Symphony Orchestra recording of music from North by Northwest. Everything, from the tubas to the highest cymbals, seemed evenly balanced. I don't listen to any music with a pounding bass, so I don't know how the beyers would respond to that. Maybe they're just bringing out the heavy bass in your music better than your other phones. Anyway, I'm definitely satisfied with the headphones... I'm just looking for the best source to go with them
smily_headphones1.gif
I definitely need a very portable cdp... I've seen a lot of good things about that panasonic sl-ct570 and will probably go with either that or a high-end sony. I've seen posts about the sony d-e905 which looks great. Anyone know about this player or where one can be bought? In terms of sound quality, is the panasonic close? Also, what kind of batteries does the ct570 take? Thanks again for the info and all the posts.

Jul 4, 2002 at 8:03 AM Post #23 of 32
peterbres: Well, I haven't tried one of the higher-end sonys yet, but I have the SL-CT570A (actually, I've got three of these...). Internally it takes two AAA cells, and thesere's an external screw-on battery case, too, that takes two AA cells. Nevertheless, there's some grainyness in the sound, that seems rather artificial to me - especially compared to my old Sanyo CDP-55A. The newer Sanyo CDP-1300 and CDP-4300 don't seem to have this grainyness, either, but they sound more up-front than the CDP-55A to me - whereas the CDP-55A provides a more three-dimensional soundstage and seems more enjoyable...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 4, 2002 at 8:13 AM Post #24 of 32
hookiefritz: Oh, I could recommend the DT250/250 (actually I did that recently in another thread - for travelling purposes...) - it's a very nice headphone. I just prefer open headphones myself, so I'd usually recommend the tonally similar DT531, instead - especially because it's cheaper, seems even comfier and has a longer straight cord, which I prefer for home listening. But I own both - and a DT990Pro/250 as well. And I've still got my test samples of the DT770Pro/250 and the DT250/80 from Beyerdynamic, here - so I had quite a lot of time to compare...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 4, 2002 at 9:29 AM Post #25 of 32
Jul 4, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #26 of 32
I HAVE the DT 250-80 (well, not mine, gave it to my father as a gift), and they definately do have a recessed treble, you guys are crazy. So is the 250ohm version not dark sounding? Because with the 80, I'm missing all kinds of detail (from upper mids on up). I was planning on getting the 250ohm version for myself anyway, cool. I hate closed headphones, but these will have to do for portable when I want isolation.

Jul 4, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

I have the SL-CT570A (actually, I've got three of these...).

Well, lucky you!
biggrin.gif
I jealous!
frown.gif

With recent offerings from Sony, Panasonic, etc.,(no 'line-out, no 'opt' out, lower powered hp amp, etc.), I don't feel very good about future pcdp's. I just can't imagine them making 'better' units in the future. So, it may not be an bad idea to stockpile a few of the 'good old ones'.

Jul 4, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #29 of 32
I guess you guys who feel that the 250/80 has recessed treble are used to overamped treble. Let me say this in an effort to make sure we're communicating clearly...

The 250/80s that I have have a very similar tonal balance to the other GOOD headphones that I have. They lack the extreme "air" that the Cardas/HD-600 and the AKG-K501 have, but the overall treble balance is very nice. Overall they're VERY pleasant cans to listen to. They have a very natural tonal balance and are very pleasant to listen to. The bass has great punch and yet is tighter than the bass on the stock HD600s.

Jul 5, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #30 of 32
I've listened to the 250/80s for a while now and I like them more over time. Once I got all the comments out of my head that I read and just listened, well I just enjoy them.

They will probably not earn high marks for spaciousness, but everything seems pretty balanced. The top and bottom end at first seemed recessed but now are actually contributing to the minimal-spacious feel and are quite "there".

Now - I do want to try the 990-250s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back