Beyer DT250-250 or DT770-xx
Apr 4, 2004 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

JAG

100+ Head-Fier
These are seldom seen on For Sale board - especially DT250-250.
I wonder:
Is this an indication that these are so good that ppl hang on to them rather than sell/trade?
I also wonder:
Do the 770's have treble as good as 250-250's?
I get the idea that I couldn't go wrong w/250-250's but I am really intrigued by the new DT770-80's at guitar center for 199.00.
I suppose this price is inflated b/c they are new (or at least a new variation of previous models), but I don't know where they are being sold for less.
I have 2G ipod and listen to rock/the gamut of jazz/some classical (cause I feel guilty if I don't).
I love bass but at minimal compromise of treble/highs.

Also - do AKG 271's fit anywhere in this?

Apr 4, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 16
The DT250-250 are about as good as closed headphones get, so it makes sense that people are keeping them rather than selling. Another factor is that there aren't a lot of vendors selling the DT250-250 (many just sell the DT250-80 because it's cheaper, even though the DT250-250 has a more balanced sound). I suspect you'll find that the DT770 has far too much bass for jazz or classical, but if you can audition them at your local Guitar Center then why not? The AKG K271S is the opposite; most people who've owned a variety of cans find it bass shy, and Headroom's measurements bear this out, though to be fair there are a couple people here who vehemently disagree with that. I still wouldn't recommend the K271S for rock.

Apr 5, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 16
If you are in the Los Angeles area, I was just quoted this last week $165.00 on the dt770's (250 ohm version) at "Coast Recording Supply. They also have them on display to listen to.

- augustwest

Apr 5, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by loafier
I second the 250-250. Refined sound, nice midrange and highs.

Look at my profile, it'll show you the path of phones that lay behind me in frustration before I got hold of the DT250-250's.

I third the nomination. There's a few DT770 camps: (1) The fanatic bassheads (2) Those who respect it's bass authority and maybe pull it out once in a while and/or look at it as a novelty phone (3) DT-770 sux.

I listen to primarily rock... Queens of the Stone Age, Local H, Fugazi, Ween, The Who... whatever... Chemical Brothers and a lot of obscurities. The DT250's are friendly to all music
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 16
I'll add a 4th vote for the DT250, even though i've never heard it, the reality is that, the DT770 to me did not have good sound quality. Its bass was too dominating even for the dance music I listen to.

Apr 5, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 16
Well, then I'm hereby going to fifth the recommendation for the DT250/250. It's a good headphone.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 16
The DT770 is a very special and unique headphone, its biggest strenght is the bass but is also its biggest weakness. I have never heard a headphone like the DT770, it has viceral strong tight bass, but sometimes it has to much that its what dominates the music. I do like them a lot, but it has very specific purposes like RAP, HIP HOP, and some rock. None the less it has great highs also, very defined and detalied, but most of the time the bass darkens the other areas. This is a specialiced headphone that IMO shouldnt be use as the primary HP, but certanly is a must add to bass lovers and to have a good inventory.

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 16
The DT250-250 is easily the best closed headphone I've heard. It is very even handed in its presentation, does everything well and nothing glaringly wrong. Finding a closed headphone this balanced is almost impossible in my experience. Highly recommended.

Apr 5, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Look at my profile, it'll show you the path of phones that lay behind me in frustration before I got hold of the DT250-250's. - pPkawel

Pikawel..
If that really is your picture I would love to look at your profile!
Just kidding!
Yeah...I see DT250-250 looming.

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 16
Hmm, I'm curious... the highs and lows are said to be rolled off on the 250-80. What about the 250 ohm model? I know they're supposed to be better sounding, but I'd regret not asking later.

Oh and which amp would go well with these? I'm not sure I'd want to part with the DT-770's, so it'd be best if it could drive both cans well. PPA possibly?

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by luukas
Hmm, I'm curious... the highs and lows are said to be rolled off on the 250-80. What about the 250 ohm model?

Bass isn't that much rolled off on the DT250/80, but the highs are indeed rather recessed - the DT250/250 is quite a bit more extended there (and also a tad more in the bass...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 5, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Bass isn't that much rolled off on the DT250/80, but the highs are indeed rather recessed - the DT250/250 is quite a bit more extended there (and also a tad more in the bass...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

I wonder if that DT250-80 label comes from auditing non proprerly burned in headphones. I know that may sound like nonsense but just a week ago all over sudden they sort of "cleared" themselves, highs are become so bright it hurts.
confused.gif
I've been listening them for a month already, 8 hours of office usage 5 days a week and now that suprise.
600smile.gif

May 29, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #14 of 16
hey guys, longtime lurker first time poster here.

im considering getting the DT 250/80 myself and am just wondering if there is a way of adjusting the impedence simular to the use of the adaptor on the Etymotic ER 4P/S mod. Are the headphones tuned and designed any differently to make the difference in the sound or is it a simple result of the adjusted impedence.

also if that is not possible (which i think it aint - but it worth asking) is there a major difference in the sound that would warrent me going out and buying an amp (with the cheapest i can get my hands on over here in aus is $450). or is it worth just getting the 80 and perhaps in future providing them with amplification.

thanks for any help guys.
-jake

May 30, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 16
I think both the DT250-80 and DT25-250 are excellent performers.
The only thing I don't like about them is the large chunky cable connecter and the coiled cable, but you can get a straight cable from Beyer so that's part of things taken care of
smily_headphones1.gif

NightStalker - best way to decide whether or not an amp makes a difference is to have a listen
biggrin.gif
And you'd be surprised at how well a little DIY amp like a MINT performs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back