Looking for good closed HPs

Can anybody compare these ones?: Beyer DT 770 and DT 831

a) Audio quality ( Class & Jazz )
b) Insulation

To be used w/ Meta 42 and microZOTL

Best from

Ari

Aug 21, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 26
Both have good isolation, not excellant, with the 770 blocking more sound than the 831. Beyond that they are very different cans. The 770 has buckets of impactful bass, with the sound rolling off as frequency increases. The 831 has its main emphasis in the upper-middle to upper frequencies, although it has adequate bass. Each has its niche, based on what kind of music you prefer. The 770 is good for rock, rap, techno, etc. The 831 is good for classical, jazz, etc. Of course, other people might rearrange this a bit, or say there are other phones that are better at these things, but to each his own. On the negative side, the 770 can sound bloated, with the bass line overpowering everything else. The 831 can be too bright and fatiguing, with its treble presentation.

Aug 21, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 26
What dougli said
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 26
That pretty much covers it
smily_headphones1.gif

I found while the DT831 was more revealing and accurate sounding, it wasn't enjoyable to listen to - the 770pro on the other hand while sometimes a little overpowering is very enjoyable (exciting even) to listen to for rock or 'harder' music.

Aug 22, 2002 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 26
Thank you guys !!!

The reason I'm asking, and I made it the wrong way, is that I'm looking for a kind of "closed HD 600 " version. Any suggestions?

Best from

Ari

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2002 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 26
The most "HD 600-like" closed headphone I've yet found is the Beyer DT250. It's not as good, but approximates the sound of the HD 600 more closely than any other closed headphone I've heard.

Aug 22, 2002 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 26
yes.
Beyer DT250-80 has very good sound and although I feel that hd600 is better, the beyer is more enjoyable to listen to and most importantly, doesn't need to be hooked with an amp, but having one will be definately improve the sound.

If you're looking for a more high end version:
Audio Technica W-100 is nice!

Aug 22, 2002 at 9:58 AM Post #9 of 26
Have you considered the Etymotic 4s? You can't beat the isolation and overall balanced presentation. They'll give the 600s a run for their money.

Also, a closed phone that I feel is underrated is the JVC HA-3. In fact, I just listened to it using my JMT portable META42 with a jazz cd (The Vandermark 5's "Acoustic Machine"), and the presentation was stunning. The separation of the instruments was never better, and the sound was balanced from top to bottom.

Aug 22, 2002 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 26
I recently came into ownership of a pair of 831's. While most people dont like their revealing nature for rock and metal im really becoming accustomed to it. I really do love the accuracy it provides. You can hear each individual instrument very clearly. Right down to the effects theyre using on them. Well recorded drums sound beautiful on them. Plenty of impact while not becoming unnatural like some of the more "exciting" cans can become. Snare's sound particularly tight.

Aug 22, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 26
Hey Poddy, Guyferd, MacDEF and dougli !!

Thanks a lot !!

I'll let you know about as soon I make this decision.

I'm very glad indeed.

Best from

Ari

biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 26
Originally posted by FCJ
Have you considered the Etymotic 4s? You can't beat the isolation and overall balanced presentation. They'll give the 600s a run for their money.

_______

Hey FCJ !!

I'm wayting for a ETY 4s/p coming soon. I think this will end my problems !! But I still w/ one eye on the Beyers... Consumititis..bad habit...

Best from

Ari

Aug 23, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 26
I don't agree that the 831 has adequate bass or I'd still own the pair I had. I thought it was a great headphone other than being a little bright and having pretty poor bass. (But hey, it's still got more bass than the K501 so maybe it's accurate and the rest of the world is wrong--but that is another story.)

The DT250-80 would definitely have been a better headphone for me despite the fact that it's treble and midrange didn't seem nearly as good at the DT831. I feel like the 250 is a good headphone for people who use them with poor sources or maybe sometimes unamped. They're soft in the high frequencies which is often a welcomed relief with poor sources and they have a bit of a midbass hump that makes up for the inadequacies of some portable players amps. (I believe this may be where MacDef's impression stems from--that, they both are smooth headphones with a little bit of boosted midbass.)

I'd like to spend more time with the DT770 but I'd question whether they're the best headphone for you if you have interest in using them primarily with (classic?) jazz and orchestral music. *shrug*

The Etymotic ER-4S is probably the best "closed headphone" this side of the Sony R10, as far as I'm concerned.

Aug 23, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #14 of 26
Kelly; some of your comments are definately highly subjective - I've spent a great deal of time with most of the Beyer range and disagree somewhat.

I found the DT831 bass to be lacking in impact when compared to the 250 or 770, but definately adequate. Definately crystal clear and a little too harsh for heavy rock/industrial, but not too bright (compared to, for example, the HD570). They're an ideal example of "how stuff should sound when done right" - but that's not what everyone wants.

The DT250 is a different beastie altogether, sure it's not as analytical as the DT831 and when compared side-by-side does tend to sound a little muffled or subdued, but listen for extended periods of time and you'll have trouble not enjoying your music through them - which is what it's all about IMHO. Smooth, enjoyable and forgiving while pulling the detail back a little and the fun factor up - the detail is there, it's just not in your face.

The DT770pro IMHO is pure enjoyment, I wouldn't recommend them as anything other than a fun and exciting headphone, the bass can be a little distracting at times and the midrange/vocals a little recessed, but if you just sit back with some good rock or impactful music they're an extremely enjoyable headphone. Stop listening to the headphone and pay more attention to the music and you'll be air-guitaring and air-drumming in no time.

Overall Beyers have their own special sound, not everyone likes the way they sound and each model sounds quite different, so while I personally don't enjoy the DT831, because they don't suit a lot of my music tastes, I can understand 100% why some people would like them - I found many tracks that were nothing short of magical on the DT831s.
Everything sounds fun on the 250-80 while the 770pro is probably the Ducati of headphones - it's all about the ride and the feeling you get from it, not just about how fast it goes
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #15 of 26
Snufkin

It's strange that you disagree so much about the DT831 and yet don't seem to prefer them.

I honestly do not believe my statement that the DT831 is a little bright is subjective. Whether you like that or not is subjective, but I honestly believe they have louder high frequency response than it does the rest of the frequency spectrum and that's what I would objectively call bright. Now, of course, I don't have any measurements of my own to back me up but here's what HeadRoom has to say about its normalized frequency response:

graph.php

Whatever you think of HeadRoom's measurements you'd have to really, really think they don't know what they're doing to not call a headphone that measures like that "bright."

You'll also notice how they measure -4db or so from about 150hz down and -9db from the mean at about 200hz. This isn't what I'd call "not as visceral as other headphones", it's what I'd call a bass rolloff.

Now of course, subjectively, like or dislike this headphone all you want. I personally thought it was great with horns but couldn't live with its flaws. But whether you like it or not, calling this headphone's frequency response accurate is a tad off base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back