Beyer Dt 770 impressions
Oct 29, 2002 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
Well I put them through the computer test and they sound great right out of the box just from a computer. How much of a burn in will they need? Right away I can tell they have a better soundstage than the SR 225s. Less bright all so.

There not too comfortable either. They seem to have a vice grip. Mayby that will improve as time goes on.

Now there is some bad. The cord looks very very cheap for a $200 headphone. I've seen some stock headphones with a better cord. And I have a small head and I have to adjust the headband allmost all the way just to wear them right. I hate to think how hard it is for someone with a bid head to adjust the headband.

Oct 29, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 24
After a while the 770s get more comfortable. I have a huge head(in more ways than one) and they were very uncomfortable for the first few weeks. The sound is excellent for the price and they are especially good with Rock music.

Oct 29, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 24
Remove the padding on the headband...then you'll have extra room.

Vice grip? You can stretch out that headband also.

Oct 29, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 24
how much of a break in do these phones require to get better? What is the best way to break the cans in? Bass heavy music? Right? Wrong?

Will using the mega bass on my portable help at all to break the phones in?

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 24
I just got mine today! First, these phones are power hungry.You need an amp. The bass is as good as described.
Tight, extended and very powerful. No boominess was present with my MOH and I didnt feel the bass was overwhelming.
In fact ,I thougt the bass was well integrated.
The midrange is somewhat recessed compared to my grados, but not to much.The midange is still clear and sounds natural.
The soundstage is set back and opens up the distances between vocalists and instruments vs my grados. I did notice the earpads positions on your ear can draw the soundstage forward if the earcup is pulled to the front of your head; conversely,if the earpad is back the sounds can seem to be coming directly out of the earpad at the side.
The treble was not rolled off to me, but it certainly is not exaggerated either, except possibly the very top octave. Tape hiss was easy to hear on older recordings but not obtrusive. Still the treble was very slightly tinkly depite the overall warm tonal balance of this phone. Breakin could very well clear this up.
Dynamics are quite good, but not as good as my grados. Surprisingly, despite the dt770s bass power the grado still has a punchier bass, though clearly not as extended. I think this is related to the grados speed and upclose perspective. This is evident throughout the entire frequency range.
Comfort is very good for me but that closed phone feel takes some getting used to. A person with a big head may have a comfort issue as well. Build quality is good and I liked the one sided cord, although it could be a little longer. I rate these phones highly right out of the box and with burnin they should improve further.
Despite all there positives, when I tried a pair of senn hd580s I didnt like the to distant midrange,lack of punch, and the way the upper treble was disjointed from the rest of the frequency spectrum. To me, these phones have many of the hd580s positives and improve on the shortcomings that bothered me with the hd580s. Now I am not saying the dt770s are better than the hd580s, just that I like the dt770s better.
I still like my grados best but these beyers are an excellent alternative,especially for a closed design.

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 24
about the vice-like grip. Try to stretch them over a book for a night or two. I found that the 3 volumes of The lord of the rings worked nicely with my 580s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 24
quote:
Now I am not saying the dt770s are better than the hd580s, just that I like the dt770s better.
--------------
Infact, I can tell you that some people even prefer the dt770pro over the hd600 and hd580.
I also need to work out on the headband.. think mine is abit too tight..

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
about the vice-like grip. Try to stretch them over a book for a night or two. I found that the 3 volumes of The lord of the rings worked nicely with my 580s.
smily_headphones1.gif

3 volumes at once. Won't that break the headband
confused.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #13 of 24
well I just tried them with a faily good source. A Denon DCM 370. And holy bejesus these thing have a lot of bass. A hell of a lot. They do need an amp because I need to turn the volume up by 3 steps just to get some decent volume. Oh well I am getting an amp in a couple of weeks so that won't be a problem. These phones definetly have more bass than my Grado's. How do you spell definatly
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #15 of 24
Just speculation but I would think an amp may help the bass quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back