Beyer DT 770-990 series or SoundMAGIC HP100-200 series?
Jun 6, 2013 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

JasonSensation

New Head-Fier
First of all, hi, I am new to the forums and the audiophile world. I am pleased to have joined your community.

I'm looking for circumaural headphones that are great for gaming (good blend of bass for immersion and sound direction recognition for competitive edge) and music. They need to be comfortable for long sessions, and it would be nice if they are isolating, but if this would  take to much away from the bass and soundstage (I need this for sound direction recognition, correct?), then no big deal. I like and need bass, but I'm not sure if I would be considered a basshead or not by audiophile standards.

I plan to use these headphones both with my desktop and ipod touch 4th gen. When I built my desktop in early 2009, I put in a Creative X-fi Xtremegamer but I took it out to make room for a wireless card and didn't notice a sound difference for my current setup. I have an ASUS P6T motherboard that uses realtek 8 channel audio. When I move into a new place in a couple months I should be able to direct connect and could put the soundcard back in if it would help. I have no amp.

My price range was originally $150-$200 but will go up to $250 as an absolute max if it is worth it. I have tried the Audio Technica ATH-M50 my friend has on my desktop, and while I was impressed with electo-house and female voices, I found bassy songs lacking, so I decided I needed to step up to a slightly higher-end model. My search has led me to the Beyer DT 770-990 series and SoundMAGIC HP100-200 series, with two closed options and three open options. On the beyers, I have found the 80 ohm version of the 770 in my price range, but only the 250 ohm version of the 880 and 990, so take that into consideration with the fact that I will be using my ipod with these as well.

What do you all recommend I do? I would prefer to stay with a closed option if the performance hit is only slight, but if not, I will gladly select open cans. Also, if anyone knows of something in my price range that would better suit my purposes, I am completely open to something else.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread