Beyer 880 - what a difference some Cardas and imdedance makes
Feb 15, 2007 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
Have the 2003 version and sent it off to James aka cantsleep for Cardas treatment.

Not only did he do it single entry running the other channel through the headband but he did a 6" mini to mini extension with 75 or 100 ohms of resistance - can't exactly remember.

I'm running this from an IRiver PDPC through a silver serpent mini-mini to a Mister X battery powered Pimeta he designed for the Beyers.

No a stellar source or top of the line amp but descent and the difference with the cards and impedance is simply staggering. Much better bass, imaging detail, etc.

I know I know - I just got them and am a little euphoric - but it's a marked difference - both the wire and the adapter.

Think I bought the cans for about 150 new - wiring and adapter were some money but easily smokes (IMHO) the Senn 580 and 650 with various cable upgrades.

Basically the adapter gives it a different signature, bass and clarity improved - more refined but less immediate.

The cardas makes it sound smoother - even more organic (that word is tossed around with these for good reason).

In any case - these beg recabling even with a good PCDP and Pimeta (for the record the pimeta was customized for the Beyers and sound better than some more expensive amps I ran - but the point is that there are significant benefits with this - and of course cantsleep's work is simply stunning - truly - thanks!

Edit - silver sperpent (not black serpent - silver serpent with black jacket)

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 16
Much thanks for the great info. My DT880s are on the way and while I am going to use them for quite a while in original config so that I can appreciate changes when the time comes, I will certainly recable down the road.

Can you tell us more about this "Mister X battery powered Pimeta he designed for the Beyers"? I'm going to search for sure.

Any pics of your recabled cans?

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 16
[size=small]"cantsleep"[/size] (James) is an amazing re-cabler & cable-maker, truly one of Head-Fi's "best-kept secrets". He's done many jobs for me over the past year and I recommend him often to those looking to have work done.

I'm glad you're happy with your DT-880's. I am too, as I got them back from cantsleep (re-cabled w/mini Canare Starquad) about a week ago! zD

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 16
Excellent info, thx. I think I'll be sending off pair #2 for the treatment.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 16
Makes a big difference - even with a less than ideal source.

Here's the link to my post on Mister X's Beyer amp.

Basically I wanted something descent to use trans portably and he asked me to trust him, which I gladly did - don't know the exact config he used but it really helped the bass on the 880s thoroughly impressive.

That with the cable and adapter are blowing my mind (listening as I type) it's funny that these are reasonably used or even purchasing the old version new and with some recabling truly world class cans.

What a great community with people like James and Mister X running about - THANKS GUYS!

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 16
I am one of the lucky tester for the new IC that James will be doing in the long run if us unbribable testers like this ennuf to buy them like we would buy ALO, Qable, Etc. I can't wait to give them a good testing out. And yes he is a wonderfull man as the DT880 are a good pair of cans and that say a lot since i'm falling in love with my DT880
blink.gif
huh i mean well he's cool you know
confused.gif

hahaha glad to know that you love your beyer, the more the merier.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 16
Lol I traded for these cans and can say HELL YES! The Cardas hookup is the TREAT! I love the sound. I think they have almost the detail of V3-O Darths and less bass slam but go just as deep. Very content with these matched with the DV 332 and MF V2 Dac. Joss Stone is exciting on these cans. What a nice girl.

Aug 11, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 16
Man alive female vocals are so smooth on this combo. Joss Stone is killing me atm.

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 16
makes me wonder what cardas would do for 990s. I really want to try a pair of 990s. I am now pretty sure that Beyer is my favorite manufacturer. I like all the headphone companies but Beyer just fits my ear I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back