Beyer 880 vs Denon 5000?
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Posts
1,194
Likes
216
Is this a fair comparison? Are these in the same league? I've owned the Denon's in the past, but have never seen, let alone heard a pair of the Beyer's. The Beyers seem to be about 25% cheaper, if that means anything.

The 880's look comfy (from pictures, anyway, for what that's worth).

Any comments from people who've heard both on comfort and sound?
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 26

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Posts
2,343
Likes
14
In terms of comfort, both are top notch, you can't go wrong. For sound, I prefer the D5000, but I enjoyed the huge bass whereas some don't like it as much. I think they're reasonably comparable in terms of soundstage, the Denons have better bass, they probably have comparable mids and highs (but I like the Denon presentation better), both are reasonably (but not painfully) detailed, and the Beyers are a little smoother but the Denons are faster. FWIW, I sold the Beyers without much hesitation when I owned them, but hung on to my D5000 for a while before falling in love with my current Sonys. Good luck!
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 26

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Posts
1,194
Likes
216
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of comfort, both are top notch, you can't go wrong. For sound, I prefer the D5000, but I enjoyed the huge bass whereas some don't like it as much. I think they're reasonably comparable in terms of soundstage, the Denons have better bass, they probably have comparable mids and highs (but I like the Denon presentation better), both are reasonably (but not painfully) detailed, and the Beyers are a little smoother but the Denons are faster. FWIW, I sold the Beyers without much hesitation when I owned them, but hung on to my D5000 for a while before falling in love with my current Sonys. Good luck!


Very helpful, thank you. What do you like about the Sony's over the D5000's?
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 26

odigg

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Posts
868
Likes
26
I've got both. Both are great headphones and I'd say both are in the same league but they do sound somewhat different. The Denon has quite a bit more bass.

I'll write more when I have the time.
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 26

AtomikPi

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Posts
622
Likes
31
Short version: like a bunch of bass, buy the denons; otherwise they're roughly equal. That's by far the biggest difference. Both are pretty fast, bit recessed mids, pretty good highs (880 may be ahead here simply because less bass increases perceived treble). Bass quality is relatively similar, mostly the difference is in quantity (roughly neutral vs. exaggerated). I've only listened to the 880's for maybe 20-30 mins. so I can't be that detailed.
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 26

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Posts
2,343
Likes
14
I just find the Sonys more involving - it's hard to describe in technical terms beyond that. Check out the CD3000 appreciation thread if you're interested.

To my ears, the D5000 were more enjoyable than the DT880s, but YMMV. Do you have any genres you're particularly into that might help people steer you in the right direction?
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 26

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Posts
1,194
Likes
216
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just find the Sonys more involving - it's hard to describe in technical terms beyond that. Check out the CD3000 appreciation thread if you're interested.

To my ears, the D5000 were more enjoyable than the DT880s, but YMMV. Do you have any genres you're particularly into that might help people steer you in the right direction?



I have very eclectic tastes. Mostly classical and soundtracks, but the occasional Kraftwerk, Gary Numan. I'm currently enjoying the re-mastered Beatles!

I'm very interested in COMFORT. Doesn't matter how good it sounds, if it feels like a clamp on my head, I won't be listening. I like the Denon's a lot, both sound and comfort wise, but they did get kind of hot after an hour or so.
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 26

AmanGeorge

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Posts
2,343
Likes
14
With classical and soundtracks, you should definitely give the DT880s some thought (as an aside, I would also throw the K701 into consideration). I think that the midrange that I found a little recessed on the DT880s was much less of an issue with orchestral music than other genres I listened to, and they will probably have a smoother and more neutral sound signature than the Denons, and may match that type of music better. They also won't get as hot as the Denons, given that they're a semi-open design and don't have leather pads. Are you in a place where having a listen to headphones other than the D5000 is possible?
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 26

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Posts
1,194
Likes
216
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With classical and soundtracks, you should definitely give the DT880s some thought (as an aside, I would also throw the K701 into consideration). I think that the midrange that I found a little recessed on the DT880s was much less of an issue with orchestral music than other genres I listened to, and they will probably have a smoother and more neutral sound signature than the Denons, and may match that type of music better. They also won't get as hot as the Denons, given that they're a semi-open design and don't have leather pads. Are you in a place where having a listen to headphones other than the D5000 is possible?


My first cans were the K701's. I found them extremely uncomfortable. Yeah, hearing stuff w/o buying it is pretty impossible (most of the local hi-fi dealers have gone out of business and even if they were still here...headphones? Fuggedaboutit).

Between the sound and comfort issues, the Beyer's are sounding more interesting all the time...
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #12 of 26

runswithaliens

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Posts
498
Likes
13
I had the Denon ah-d5000's for a while but didn't like the big bass - felt it over-powered the rest of the music at times. The Beyer dt880's are now at the top of my list to order next, along with a tube amp of some sort...

They have a very interesting tool over at Headroom that you can use to compare headphones from a variety of tests they have done on them. Here is a graph from comparing the frequency response of the two cans in question as determined by them using thier particular testing methods.

graphCompare.php
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 26

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Posts
1,194
Likes
216
Quote:

Originally Posted by runswithaliens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the Denon ah-d5000's for a while but didn't like the big bass - felt it over-powered the rest of the music at times. The Beyer dt880's are now at the top of my list to order next, along with a tube amp of some sort...

They have a very interesting tool over at Headroom that you can use to compare headphones from a variety of tests they have done on them. Here is a graph from comparing the frequency response of the two cans in question as determined by them using thier particular testing methods.

graphCompare.php



Aren't the Beyers a low impedance phone (like the Denon's) that would sound better with a SS amp? By all means, let us know when you get the 880's!
 
Sep 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 26

odigg

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Posts
868
Likes
26
I've got the D5000 and the DT880.

If I listen to the D5000 and get used to the sound signature then go to the DT880 these are the perceived changes.

1. Quite a bit less bass, but still enough to be satisfying. I could live with the DT880 bass and be happy.
2. A more recessed sounding midrange which is *slightly* less clear. This isn't easily apparent with classical or instrumental music, but it is noticeable with vocals. I sometimes add a ~5db EQ bump at 3khz to address this.
3. A very "3D" like soundstage. The DT880 sounds spacious without sounding fake or just wide in a left/right sense.
4. A brighter treble region. This is great with classical as it gives brass instruments a slightly electrostatic like sheen. I found the treble area can sometimes be fatiguing with modern pop music. With older recordings that are recorded well this is less of an issue.

In terms of comfort the D5000 wins, but the DT880 is really comfortable as well.

The Denons get more head time as I feel the tamer higher end makes them more forgiving and they work well for just about any genre. The DT880 does a great job with classical and soundtracks as the sound and soundstage seem well suited for that.

Some people complain that the DT880 can be a little sterile sounding. I so find myself slanting towards that with modern pop music.

Both are great headphones.

Don't take the graphs too seriously as many are fairly off from what people hear.

Hope all that helps.

**edit**

This is for the 2005 DT880 250 ohms.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top