BEWARE: Provantage selling fake Audio-Technica ESW9A headphones
Feb 18, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 23
Called Provantage today and spoke to a customer rep. Provantage is refunding me all my money and paying for shipping back to them.

It seemed a bit to easy, no questions asked they simply accepted what I told them and informed me I would be getting a full refund. The person I spoke to pretty much told me that they don't sell the headphones but just facilitate for another vendor, not sure how accurate I am in describing what I was told over the phone but if this is the case it would make me wary about buying headphones from them.

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #19 of 23
Resurrecting an old thread.  A few months ago I bought a pair of ATH-ESW9A's from deal-cool.com for $24.40.  Having no idea the actual cost of the real deal, since I was searching for 'wooden headphones'.  Today I went to the same page to check on the price, and they're listed at $228.

So I googled for fakes...  thing is.. I can't tell if mine are fake or not.  The wood is real, they have a quality, solid feel, and I remember the box it came in was pretty impressive, complete with a 'made in japan' printing, etc.  Even if these are fakes, they're pretty darn good.  So how do I tell if they are or not?

Jan 25, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 23
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Deal_Cool, that's all that needs to be said if they are fakes or not. Always check to see if the seller is authorized and then check the sites ratings, even though it does seem as the OP did do this.

Quote:
Resurrecting an old thread.  A few months ago I bought a pair of ATH-ESW9A's from deal-cool.com for $24.40.  Having no idea the actual cost of the real deal, since I was searching for 'wooden headphones'.  Today I went to the same page to check on the price, and they're listed at $228.

So I googled for fakes...  thing is.. I can't tell if mine are fake or not.  The wood is real, they have a quality, solid feel, and I remember the box it came in was pretty impressive, complete with a 'made in japan' printing, etc.  Even if these are fakes, they're pretty darn good.  So how do I tell if they are or not?

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Deal_Cool, that's all that needs to be said if they are fakes or not. Always check to see if the seller is authorized and then check the sites ratings, even though it does seem as the OP did do this.

Quote:

Looked it up and it does look like they sell a lot of fakes.  I know they sell a lot of stuff from China, but at the same time, they sell a LOT of audio-technica headphones.  Went through the thread here:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/409252/fake-ath-esw-9-56k-warning/300

I'm pretty sure mine are indeed fakes now, the only difference I found was the lettering on the cups wasn't raised.

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #23 of 23
Wow, glad that it worked out and you got your money back.  I'm surprised that there are still so many fakes floating around out there, I remember when I saw the first post about fakes here last year on this model; it was big news, at least in these types of forums.
On that note, I remember seeing 3 pair of these, obviously fake as they were listed at less than a third of the cost, on the local Kijjiji site.  The guy told me that they purchased too many for their studio and needed to sell the extras before his boss found out.  Man, white van headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back