Beware of Online Hearing Tests!
Oct 17, 2008 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nuphones

Head-Fier
Well, as you all know, I have been freaking out about my hearing. It turns out that some test tones are properly recorded, and others are not. At least not to my ears. So, while I had thought my hearing range was limited, the situation is not quite as bad as I had originally thought. I'm actually good up to 15 khz, as I can hear test tones at 14 khz:

Cognitive Daily: Can you hear this now? (Yet another poll)

...and at 15 khz (although a bit more faintly)

http://ia301125.us.archive.org/0/ite...z_audacity.wav

So, beware of online hearing test files, as some may be more accurate than others. And try not to freak out about your hearing. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to find a 16 khz test tone out there, somewhere, that I can hear....

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 5
Why not just use a signal generator program?
I use the built-in tone gen in WinISD Pro (with an open project with the follow mouse cursor option clicked) for various things all the time.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #3 of 5
And those could be inaccurate too if you listen to them through a laptops headphone jack with rolled off highs
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Well, I actually consider this to be a health and quality of life issue more so. But you're right, I am worrying a bit too much about my hearing, and it's becoming a bit of a distraction.

But as far as the headphone out on a macbook, I've never been very satisfied with it, although I tend to doubt that this could be preventing me from hearing 16 khz and above? If so, I have been worrying myself over nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back