BEWARE OF A DEFAULT IN WESTONE's CABLE !
Jul 9, 2011 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

julienc

New Head-Fier
I have had Westone 3 for 2 years and the cable is already broken. In fact there is a default at the exact point between the end of the cable and the section of the cable that is bigger before entering the earplug. That point is being flex all the point when you listen to your earphone (because it is the way it was made, going over your ear).

So true the cable itself is very resistant but the very end of it is not and given that you have no way to change only the cable, you are in the ****.

These earphone are made in China so no matter what you ask them to do if the product is not intensively tested then any default will appear. Of course with one year warranty... this clearly show that the product is not reliable in the long run.

Make your own choice but be aware of this potential issue.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 27
I really really hate to do this but I think you mean defect (ie faulty) and not default.  Otherwise pretty good english :)  If your within the 2 year guarantee can you not simply send them back in to get them replaced?

Cheers

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 27
thanks for the correction David, french often make some english mistakes.

Westone 3 are 1 year warranted so i have to forget about it. I dropped an email to Westone support to get some potential solutions.

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 27
I'm sure westone tests its products and I'm sure that it is pretty intesive testing at that. Where something is made is irelevant. Cables for IEMs for several manufactures not just westone fail in that area after significant use. I've had to tape up my etymotic 6i as well as a pair of shure 420's. They still worked I just needed to make a slight repair nit sure then these occured but probably at the 2 year mark or so. The combination of sweat and a high stress area creates this issue.

I hope you get the problem resolved and welcome the Headfi

Jul 9, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 27
All IEM cable will break eventually and has nothing to do with defect in design. Even a cable will memory wire will fail you given enough time and use.

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 27
What you say doesn't bring anything it's like saying any human will die.

Be logical guy, if spend 400$ on a earphone and after 250 hours of use in a proper manner, it's broken at the exact point where it looks more fragile then it's a potential defect.

you guys should think something before wasting your time replying non sense.

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 27
I totally agree but there are ways to improve the resistance at this point. Clearly you have a semi flexible zone and then a very flexible one which doesn't make sense because that zone is being intensively flex over the ear.

I mean that's Westone's job to improve it. We can't say, well, that's the nature of it, it will break anyway. We paying 400$ for that. Apple's earphone worth 4usd to be made and they last longer than a Westone one. That's the reality for me.

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 27
I wish they'd change the 'semi flexible' section to something smoothened. The W4's are an exceptionally comfortable earphone bar that one element of the cabling. The ridged bumpy nature of them sometimes causes irritation to the section of the ear they rub against, especially if I'm moving around. Staying still though, I generally forget I'm wearing them.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #9 of 27
First of all, lets take the price out of this - regardless of whether it is a $100 Westone or a $400 Westone, it is the same design, so what you get more is not on the cable. That part should be easily figured out when you buy the IEM. Westone, or any company for that matter, doesn't promise anyone their $400 will last 4 times longer than their $100 model. They only promise it will last as long as stated in the warranty, not a day more. Assuming it will last much longer because the price is higher is what illogical. If it was supposed to last 4 times longer, I would think Westone would have listed that as part of the feature and charge you for it.

Unfortunately the reality of almost all the expensive IEM is that they might not last longer than your typical Apple earbud. If you don't think that is acceptable, the only way is not to buy them and there is nothing wrong with that. Just because something is much more expensive is not a guarantee for extended durability. Quite often the reason why they are much more expensive is exactly the same reason why they tend not to last as long.

I know you want Westone to look into the issue, and I do hope they will - but don't expect any easy fix. Shure has tried to correct the same problem with removable cable, but end up having another problem on the socket. There are ups and there are downs.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 27
You obviously have quite petite ears which causes the cable a more acute angle from the strain relief that for others, both from the forward angle of the strain relief and the the fact that it terminates near the top of your ear. Your view may be valid for you but not as much for others. That said, a shorter strain relief may be a beneficial for them in general but it may not help with how forward they angle for you. Unfortunately, they need to come up with what they feel is the most universal fit which obviously is far from perfect for you. Westone will not be unique here.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
First of all, lets take the price out of this - regardless of whether it is a $100 Westone or a $400 Westone, it is the same design, so what you get more is not on the cable. That part should be easily figured out when you buy the IEM. Westone, or any company for that matter, doesn't promise anyone their $400 will last 4 times longer than their $100 model. They only promise it will last as long as stated in the warranty, not a day more. Assuming it will last much longer because the price is higher is what illogical. If it was supposed to last 4 times longer, I would think Westone would have listed that as part of the feature and charge you for it.

Unfortunately the reality of almost all the expensive IEM is that they might not last longer than your typical Apple earbud. If you don't think that is acceptable, the only way is not to buy them and there is nothing wrong with that. Just because something is much more expensive is not a guarantee for extended durability. Quite often the reason why they are much more expensive is exactly the same reason why they tend not to last as long.

I know you want Westone to look into the issue, and I do hope they will - but don't expect any easy fix. Shure has tried to correct the same problem with removable cable, but end up having another problem on the socket. There are ups and there are downs.

Hey ClieOS, what kind of problem do the SE 535 have with the socket ? I was thinking of getting them to replace my W4 that I sold recently.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
Hey ClieOS, what kind of problem do the SE 535 have with the socket ? I was thinking of getting them to replace my W4 that I sold recently.

Read my review of SE215 here, just above SQ section.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
Read my review of SE215 here, just above SQ section.

Thanks for the reply. Before I read your review I wasn't even aware a problem with the socket existed. Thanks again now I have to think twice. I already had to send back my W4 for a replacement after the drivers on both sides were blown only after 3 months. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
thanks for the correction David, french often make some english mistakes.

Westone 3 are 1 year warranted so i have to forget about it. I dropped an email to Westone support to get some potential solutions.

Westone 3's are 2 years when you simply register them. I have not had mine for 2 years, but I love the Cable and design. Good point above, about the ear size tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back