Better to connect an Audioengine D1 with a quality 10m RCA cable or a 1m cheap one?
Aug 22, 2012 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

overhaze

100+ Head-Fier
Hi 

Just got an Audioengine D1 DAC/headphone amp and am hooking it up to my speakers. I have two RCA cables on hand, a high quality 10m cable and a cheap 1m cable that came with some old DVD player. The D1 is sitting on a desk next to the speakers so the quality 10m cable is way longer than needed and I'm worried about potential signal degradation and lag, the 1m cable on the other hand is just the right size but its cheap, still the signal is having to travel a much shorter distance.

Any advice?

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 6
It may depending on impedance, shielding, and loss of voltage per unit length, but in the end as long as the short cable works and sounds fine the longer cable may prove to me more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Why not test it for yourself since you have both cables?  Tell us what you find.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 6
The problem with a 10 m cable is it MAY have too much capacitance, it is possible that you may get some high frequency filtering or high frequency losses from a cable this long.

It really depends on the cable capacitance and the input impedance of the load.  Like our esteemed colleague said, try it and see.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #6 of 6
Hmm difficult to say... One thing that jumps out at me with the longer cable is that the D1s audio knob has to be turned more to the right in order to achieve the same volume. Here is the cable in question by the way 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0044YCDMG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back