Better (or best) SS match for HD-580
Nov 20, 2008 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

eMP3ror

New Head-Fier
The problem with my current Senn's HD-580 + Cmoy combo is:

I can't simply get the sort of punchy, tight bass out of my classic rock/pop tunes
basshead.gif
as I used to when I was the happy owner of a pair of PX-100's.
jecklinsmile.gif

Is it right saying that in my search for that tight bass, I'd be better off sticking to SS amps instead of tube?

As a matter of fact, I've already ordered a new AD823AN opamp as an upgrade to my Cmoy's current "tubey" OPA2227. Assuming that by itself won't sort my problems out, would amps like the XM4 or 2move somehow make things happen in that department?

Any other suggestion for amps with integrated DAC+crossfeed?

Since I'm considering doing some opamp rolling with the XM4 - say, using the AD823AN which I ordered today to upgrade the Cmoy, I wonder if that would be possible with a 2move or any other suggestions you might have to dig up that wonderful bass which I think the HD-580 can provide me with.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 8
A portable amp isn't going to power the hd580 well enough to get a great sound. If I were you i'd keep the px100 for portable and hd580 for home (with a desktop amp).

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 8
Actually I don't have the PX100 anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub3rMario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A portable amp isn't going to power the hd580 well enough to get a great sound. If I were you i'd keep the px100 for portable and hd580 for home (with a desktop amp).

Does that mean I should give up on the likes of xm4 or 2move?

Any suggestion for desktop amps around the $200 price tag?

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 8
FWIR, travagans desktops are pretty good. A corda arietta would work, maybe a Zero...but i never have heard the zero. You could DIY as well. Try browsing for the FS forum.

I myself use an Octavart The One which was only $100 used off these forums. It did great with my hd580's and all the other phones i've tried.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 8
I'll be looking for reviews on those but can you tell me if they offer features I mentioned? (x-feed + integrated DAC)

As for the portable solution I couldn't agree more - I was considering buying a new PX100 for when I'm on the move.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 8
The zero has an integrated DAC, however i'm unsure about the others. The octavart does not. You can always buy a DAC kit and build your own dac so you have a wider variety of choices.

OH just remembered! Travagans has 3 different versions so you can pick which one suits you (they have a bunch of different inputs and i think 2 have DAC's).

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 8
As for crossfeed!?

Been looking at the Travagan's and one thing that I noticed is that their opamps seem to be, erm, "rollable". BTW: where do I find out about mass-produced amps' actual opamp - not on their official spec sheets, right? Do they publish that sort of info at all?

Speaking of what, that's just about all my knowledge about eletronics - opamp rolling purely and simply - no soldering or any electronics skills whatsoever - hence my resistance on DYI'ing.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for all the unvaluable info Ub3rMario,

Among those the Corda Arietta seems to be a reasonable choice - features, price... but I'd still like more opinions not just about an amp being able or not to drive the HD580 but also its sound signature - which ones will provide me with the poweful bass I'm after?

The other reason I'm somehow biased towards the Arietta is because there wouldn't be hidden importing duties on top of the final price since I live in the UK. Speaking of what, it's quite late in right now - look forward someone else's opinions tomorrow - nite nite!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back