Better bang for my buck, new Blu-ray player or a DAC
Jun 9, 2014 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JDavid

New Head-Fier
My wife purchased for me some very nice new hi-end headphones  (Audeze) and a headphone amp (ALO Pan Am). I have a Denon -1082 AVR, and I like the sound through the speakers but it seems weak when using the headphone jack. I like to listen to TV and music. Our Direct TV box has analog outputs so they go great through the AVR and I hook-up the headphone amp to a pre-amp output. Unfortunately the audio from my Sony Blu-ray is digital coaxial. Which plays great through the AVR when using the speakers, but as many of us learn the hard way the pre-amp outputs of many AVR's do not carry digital signals. So for right now I am using the AVR headphone jack and running it into the headphone amp (which I assume is not the best method although it works) My question is am I better off getting a new Blu-ray player that has analog outputs in addition to the digital ones, or investing in a DAC? I can get a decent Blu-ray player with analog outputs for $200-$300, how much would a decent DAC cost?  Which option would result in better sound performance?

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/722448/better-bang-for-my-new-blu-ray-player-or-dac#post_10621377

Have you thought about just upgrading the A/V receiver, getting one with HDMI, so you can run HDMI from the current Blu-ray player to the A/V receiver and then plug the headphones directly into the newer A/V receiver.

Here is a refurb Yamaha RX-A710 A/V receiver for $329
Comes with Yamaha's Silent Cinema, Yamaha's own version of headphone surround sound.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa710bl/yamaha-rx-a710-aventage-series-home-theater-receiver/1.html

You could get a new Blu-ray player with an optical output, connect a $100 Schiit Modi (optical) DAC to it and the Pam Am to the Modi, but you would not get headphone surround sound, just stereo audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back