1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Better Amp Than a THX 789 AAA?

1. mixman
    Right now I have a THX 789 as the amp to my RME ADI-2 DAC. What would be a better balanced amp with improvements in not just power, but clean sound along with soundstage and dynamics for around $1K or so?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. Spareribs
  3. omniweltall
    He said balanced, cleaner, and more powerful amp.

4. Spareribs
    Oops. Sorry

5. Nautrachkfriend
    For $1,000 the only amp I could recommend that would be "cleaner" than the 789 would be the Neurochrome HP-1.

The 789 is a pretty darn good amp distortion wise, not much out there will be cleaner.

6. mixman
    Several have mentioned the Monoprice Liquid Platinum as a really good amp. Also perhaps a used Audio Gd Master 9?

7. mixman
    OK here is a better question......how much would I have to spend to get something clearly better?

8. Nautrachkfriend
    Well the Benchmark HPA4 is built on the THX AAA platform, but it's $3,000 and it's still very similar distortion level wise to the THX 789. But it also has awesome volume control, pre-amp abilities, and is fully balanced. I'm unsure how they compare sound-wise in the real world.

You've got a pretty decent setup to be honest, to get leaps in quality you are going to end up having to spend some big $$$$$$$. A big money setup that's hot right now that would be a sure upgrade is something like a Chord TT-2 + M Scaler.

MrPanda likes this.
  9. mixman
    I have been looking into the over $1K amps like the AudioGd Master 9, iCan Pro and the Questyle CMA800R would any of these be a decent improvement over my THX?

10. mixman
    Anyone?

11. PointyFox
    Your DAC and amp are pretty much endgame. Your headphones aren't even close.

12. Zenvota
    Audio GD gear sounds incredible espacially on a simple conditioner like an old topaz line noise supressor. clean, powerful, detailed, perfect.

13. westyjeff
    If I were you,,,,I would add and not replace, I have the ADI-2 and THX 789, both very much endgame and I will not part with them, I added a Cayin HA-300 into the mix to get that tube thing going, I would recommend something different not a replacement.

cardeli22 and PointyFox like this.
  14. mixman
    As far as headphones go......I am getting there: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he1000-se.886228/page-54#post-14838267

Well that's what I am starting to think. I should probably just keep the THX and add to the collection.