Better amp for Denon D5000 than Xcan V8?
Feb 9, 2009 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
Title pretty much says it all. Is there a better amp out there for the Denon lineup than the Musical Fidelity Xcan V8 for close to the same price?

It would be used at a computer setup with flac files and all different kinds of music.

Thanks!!

Feb 11, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 38
Anybody have any experience with the xCanv8 and something similar with the D5000?

Feb 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 38
I also have a similar question.

My two choices at the moment are the EF1 and the X-Can v8. I posted a question yesterday but nobody responded to mine either.

I've read really good things about both and I'm not sure I can go too far wrong here. However, I'd really like to know if the X-Can offers a real upgrade from the EF1 and also if there is anything better in that general price range for Denon and Grado cans.

-LB

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 38
The lack of response could be either a good thing or a bad thing.

Either people think that the X-Can V8 is the best amp they have for the D5000 or they simply didn't buy it because there are better options for their D5000.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 38
I'd suggest you also look in people's sigs, there you can see other people's choices, and maybe pm them. I can't help you, I have never owned any denon's.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 38
gordolindsay:

I had the D5000 with my verison od Mrkl mods (used different damping materials) and I have a D2000 highly modified that I call WD2000 RL Edition (you can do a seach in the forum and find my thread with pictures) and I also have the D7000.

At the under $1,000 range I have used the CIA VHP-1 with the VAC-1 power supply, the Stello HP-100and the Headamp GS-1. Among those I like the GS-1the best with the VHP-1 (now VHP-2) in second.

If you are going to be over $1,000 then my experience with my Rudistor RPX-33 MKII or My Rudistor RP-7 Lite Hybrid is exceptional. They smoke the other ones easily.

You can check out the RP-7 Lite in the for sale forum. if you get interested we can talk.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, but compared to what?
wink.gif

Depends on the phones I use. But the v8 is very versatile, also because you can do some tube rolling.
I don't go around comparing my loves, I just love them all.
icon10.gif

But to give some idea (but this is just very personal): I could sell my RSA Stealth and never look back, I'll probably sell my Corda Prehead one of these days, but I don't think I am going to sell the v8.

Feb 11, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Title pretty much says it all. Is there a better amp out there for the Denon lineup than the Musical Fidelity Xcan V8 for close to the same price?

It would be used at a computer setup with flac files and all different kinds of music.

Thanks!!

As you may have seen from my prior posts on this topic...

... the X-CAN v8 is truly exceptional with the D5000s!

I can't imagine many amps in that price range can even come close.

It provides all the current the D5000s need, and its low impedance matches their low impedance perfectly.

As Kees suggests... if you get it... you'll never look back... with the D5000s.

However, our experience with high impedance phones is quite different. I found the v8 was terribly underpowered with my Senns - it just doesn't provide enough voltage to really drive them well, until you dial it up to around 3 O'clock+.

And... don't count on using its DAC - its very weak.

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It provides all the current the D5000s need, and its low impedance matches their low impedance perfectly.

D5000 are extremely sensitive so they really don't need much voltage, which means they don't really need much current at the low voltages either and as for output impedance of the amp, it's actually quite high for a discrete output stage, most are close to 0 Ohms, at least they should be. Sure it's much lower OTL amps, but this isn't an OTL amp.
wink.gif

Not so say it's not a good amp, I wouldn't know, but I constantly hear about it's "low output impedance" and laugh because 2 Ohms output impedance is quite high, even a CMOY has closer to 1 Ohm.
tongue.gif
The 22K input impedance also makes it interesting.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 38
I just took delivery of the Darkvoice 3322 and it drives the AH-D5000's beautifully - best I've heard them! I actually prefer them to my other headphones which are Senn HD600's - go figure (this was the opposite of what I was expecting). The interesting thing also is the volume pots stay "exactly" the same for either one for my desired listening level - this is unusual to say the least - another unexpected surprise!

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 38
i use the headroom ultra micro amp(and dac ) and it sound great with all cans i tried it with. about the denons,i didnt tried them with other amps but they sure sound amazing with the ultra micro.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D5000 are extremely sensitive so they really don't need much voltage, which means they don't really need much current at the low voltages either and as for output impedance of the amp, it's actually quite high for a discrete output stage, most are close to 0 Ohms, at least they should be. Sure it's much lower OTL amps, but this isn't an OTL amp.
wink.gif

Not so say it's not a good amp, I wouldn't know, but I constantly hear about it's "low output impedance" and laugh because 2 Ohms output impedance is quite high, even a CMOY has closer to 1 Ohm.
tongue.gif
The 22K input impedance also makes it interesting.

The v8 operates at 2 Ohms output impedance, which is low compared to many other amps, especailly tube and tube hybrid amps.

It is quite simply one of the best amps with the D5000s there is available - it overcomes all of their weaknesses and matches them perfectly. Few other amps drive them anywhere near as well - especially OTL tube amps. It is much better with the D5000s than the DV332 - it does a much better job of controlling their bass, and highs.

I do know... because I've had them both with the D5000s.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The v8 operates at 2 Ohms output impedance, which is low compared to many other amps, especailly tube and tube hybrid amps.

It is quite simply one of the best amps with the D5000s there is available - it overcomes all of their weaknesses and matches them perfectly. Few other amps drive them anywhere near as well - especially OTL tube amps. It is much better with the D5000s than the DV332 - it does a much better job of controlling their bass, and highs.

I do know... because I've had them both with the D5000s.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Most solid state and tube hybrid (tube gain stage, solid-state output stage) have closer to 0 ohms output impedance. I don't mean to pick on this map so much, but force feeding people that 2 ohms is low output impedance just makes my bullsh*t detector go off. I don't doubt that it's a nice sounding amp, I just react to things like this.

I have absolutely no doubt that it handles low impedance loads better than OTL amps (which are simply not designed for it) or the DarkVoice 332 which as far as I know is OTL and uses only 30uF of output caps which would absolutely decimate the low end distortion of low impedance headphones.

Having built quite a few hybrid amps, I know that they can have very low output impedance, enough output capacitance (if applies) and enough current output capabilities to handle very low impedance loads. OTL is really not meant for this task (with few exceptions).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back