Best work/music headphones
Jul 19, 2011 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fredperry

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!
I'm so glad i found this forum! Hope you guys can help me!
I work in broadcast and i'm looking for the best headphones under 150usd, and also to listen to music at home.

I'm getting a fiio E7 to use in my home pc, instead of the onboard sound.
At work i'm using an edirol ua-25.

As for music i listen mostly to jazz!

So requirements:
Closed Headphones
Under 150USD (if possible 70USD if the difference isn't that big in sound quality) I live in Europe so prices can be different.
Good for work (clarity)
Good for jazz listening

What's the i can get that meets my needs?

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 14
Audio Technica A700's would be a good choice.

64 ohm impedance, closed cans, good sound isolation, stylish in design, 5 Hz to 34 kHz frequency range.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Audio Technica A700's would be a good choice.

64 ohm impedance, closed cans, good sound isolation, stylish in design, 5 Hz to 34 kHz frequency range.

They seem very nice for the price!!! Thanks!

Now i'm reading some info on headphones and some say that open headphones are better for jazz, and overall sound quality. Is it really a major diference from closed cans? If it is i'm willing to go with open.

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
They seem very nice for the price!!! Thanks!

Now i'm reading some info on headphones and some say that open headphones are better for jazz, and overall sound quality. Is it really a major diference from closed cans? If it is i'm willing to go with open.

No problem. :)

I'm not really sure about the difference in closed and open cans when it comes to difference genre's of music. I'm sure another member could fill you in on it if they decide to reply.

Generally open cans seem to have better soundstage opposed to closed cans.

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
No problem. :)

I'm not really sure about the difference in closed and open cans when it comes to difference genre's of music. I'm sure another member could fill you in on it if they decide to reply.

Generally open cans seem to have better soundstage opposed to closed cans.

+1

A700 for sure

You can even eat while wearing them!

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for your opinions.

I think the a700 should be a great buy! I only find them online, for example in a spanish online store the price is up to 354USD!!!!!!!
At the amazon uk the price is only the equivalent to 212usd with shipping.

Can you confirm the headphones in the uk store for me? because the price difference is a lot!
In the site they are named Audio-technica import series ath-a700. For me they look the same but i'm not shure of the "Import Series" naming :s

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 14
The Audio Technicas are not what I called flat. Following Acix's suggestings, HD25-II, DT250, DT150, SRH840, SRH940 will be good choices.

DT250, HD25-II, SRH840 are slightly bassy.
SRH940 are slightly bright.
DT150 are pretty balance with a hint of lifted bass but not to the extend of DT250, etcs.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 14
AD700 closed are great, they look good too, and they're comfy.

It's also more in that price range than some other suggestions. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Thanks for your opinions.

I think the a700 should be a great buy! I only find them online, for example in a spanish online store the price is up to 354USD!!!!!!!
At the amazon uk the price is only the equivalent to 212usd with shipping.

Can you confirm the headphones in the uk store for me? because the price difference is a lot!
In the site they are named Audio-technica import series ath-a700. For me they look the same but i'm not shure of the "Import Series" naming :s

Can't do it personally. Can you get them shipped from Amazon UK?

Quote:
AD700 closed are great, they look good too, and they're comfy.

It's also more in that price range than some other suggestions. 

A series are closed, AD series are open

Quote:
The Audio Technicas are not what I called flat. Following Acix's suggestings, HD25-II, DT250, DT150, SRH840, SRH940 will be good choices.

DT250, HD25-II, SRH840 are slightly bassy.
SRH940 are slightly bright.
DT150 are pretty balance with a hint of lifted bass but not to the extend of DT250, etcs.

He wants headphones for work.

The A series have better hold and stay on your head better along with great comfort

another choice for you OP is Senn HD598
They are open, don't leak a lot of sound. But they isolate well for open and compare with my Ad500 in comfort.

I enjoy my ad500 for reading because I read for 6 hours+ at a time and need them on my head the entire time. I eat and drink along with chew gun while wearing them; which my grado can't even do without them moving around on my head while chewing.

Only problem is that the wings on the top don't work well for stairs. I find myself holding them if I'm outside going up stairs or heavy walking. But the cord is nice and long to work close to your source

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:

I wasn't asking for you to check them personaly. i'll probably buy them from the amazon uk store. The price is very good, as in spain they cost 250 euro!!!
My only concern was about the naming "import series" they have in the amazon store. Maybe it's nothing because the specs match.

I think i'll buy them! Should be good enough as i'm not used to very good headphones!

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I wasn't asking for you to check them personaly. i'll probably buy them from the amazon uk store. The price is very good, as in spain they cost 250 euro!!!
My only concern was about the naming "import series" they have in the amazon store. Maybe it's nothing because the specs match.

I think i'll buy them! Should be good enough as i'm not used to very good headphones!

Yeah, they are worth it

I'm not good with Euro shipping stuff. Everything I buy comes from China without a problem of in the states

Good luck!

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #13 of 14
HD555, SR80i, FA-002, FA003, DT770.

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #14 of 14

A series are closed, AD series are open

He wants headphones for work.

The A series have better hold and stay on your head better along with great comfort

another choice for you OP is Senn HD598
They are open, don't leak a lot of sound. But they isolate well for open and compare with my Ad500 in comfort.

I enjoy my ad500 for reading because I read for 6 hours+ at a time and need them on my head the entire time. I eat and drink along with chew gun while wearing them; which my grado can't even do without them moving around on my head while chewing.

Only problem is that the wings on the top don't work well for stairs. I find myself holding them if I'm outside going up stairs or heavy walking. But the cord is nice and long to work close to your source

I have wore all those for long periods, except the HD25-II which was pushing it, all other are full-size closed back headphones with somewhat flat soundsig. The OP said he is working for boardcasting so a heavily coloured soundsig is going to get in the way of his work. I am a AT lover, but it is just not going to do it for him, unless A2000X really. The lower A series are more heavily leaned towards the low-end and with very lush mid (coloured).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back