BEST Wired Closed Ear Headphones for Electronic Music Genre
May 2, 2019 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ladytron604

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I am a newbie looking for expert advice on what are the best closed ear headphones under $300 to buy for the R3 Portable HiFi Music Player Bluetooth MP3 Player High Resolution Audio Player. Right now my setup: FLAC files on my Hi-Fi Walker using Beats Studio 3 Wireless Closed earphones.

Here is a list to specify what I’m after:
-Must be extremely comfortable
-Closed ear
-Wired Only
-Genre is electronic music such as: A-ha, Ladytron, Goldfrapp, Enigma, Acid Jazz, Future Funk, Synthpop, etc...
-Please suggest a headphone only amp. (as I don’t listen through my PC)

I am reading up on audiophile terminology and what the best rated closed ear headphones are but if anyone here can make suggestions I would be very grateful. Thanks!

May 4, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Well I’ve decided on:
HiBy R3
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs
FiiO A5

This setup will hopefully fit the bill. I wish I could of gotten the Sennheiser HD 650, but they’re open backs only. I also wish I could go to a meetup but being chronically ill makes it impossible. Suffering with Fibromyalgia makes it important that the headphones are super comfy. If anyone reads this I’d still be interested in what setups they have for the EDM genre.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 headphones.
for something a little more bassy ATH-WS99.

May 5, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 7
I was going to recommend a vmoda M100.

Great for electronica,but the comfort isnt super,even after swapping pads.
The DT770s are decent for electronica,comfortable and all that,but can be a bit bright.
The Sennheiser HD250 is fantastic for electronica,but need a decent amp. Theyre also discontinued,so finding a used pair is the only option. Very light and comfortable.

May 7, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 7
Thank you everyone for posting your recommendations! I so wish I could get out to test various headphones at a store but I’m also on immunosupressive meds so not a good idea. I ended up getting the Sennheiser HD 598cs. I am so happy! I can hear certain vocals and details that were hidden by my muddied old headphones. The EQ options on the Hiby R3 allow so much customization and I can up the bass to my liking. I do notice the sound is definitely flatter compared to the bloomy bassy beats but so much better. Right now after taking a leap into this very entry level audiophile world it’s definitely richer. I ended up not needing the amp.

May 7, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 7
The oldest headphones i have, that I still like, is the 50-Ohm Sennheiser HD558 (open) headphones.
I'm I'm guessing the HD598CS being only 23-Ohms, it's fairly easily driving by portable audio sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back