Best way to stop the Grado twist?
Jun 20, 2008 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Grado owners know what I'm talkin about. how do you stop the cable from twisting from the cups swiveling?

I don't have the problem when they sit as home as I make sure the way I turned them to take them off to lay them flat, I turn them the opposite way so they don't get twisted over time. But sometimes there's the inevitable ones where you friend listens to them, or whatever. Is there a way you can physically stop it from happening?

It seems even the people that take the best care of their stuff, over time, the cables, even if minutely, are somewhat twisted. Any way to prevent this?

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 24
I've seen people place metal pin screw stops on the rods to lock them from twisting. I think if you check out the Grado mod thread, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Jun 20, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 24
No way you can stop this, its a Grado thing
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the benefit of those that did NOT know this fact:

The RS-1's do NOT twist.

They have the square rod, and enough friction-fit, so that they will keep their adjustment angle -- as long as you handle them gently, like you should do anyway.
I suppose if you often twist them for flat lay-downs, or other adjustments that turn them often, then I would guess that they would get loose, too.
But, the several pairs I've had, do not twist.
I pick them up from my desktop, and put them on already perfectly-adjusted for me.

I only posted this to maybe benefit someone that doesn't like Grado twisting, and thus avoided buying a new RS-1 because of it.
I'm guessing most of the many Grado owners (that never had an RS-1) have learned another Grado factoid.

Well, they certainly twist, just not as freely as the SR-60's or other Prestige series Grados. If you have a headphone stand, however, or something in close resemblance to one, I can't see how this would become much of an issue regardless of the model - as long as you're a little bit careful.

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 24
I picked up SR60s not too long ago. Long enough to know I love them; also long enough to find the "twist" a nuisance. I do what I can to prevent it but it seems the only surefire means is the set-screw lock mod.

Given the design of the headphones and the propensity for the cups to rotate, it sure would be nice if the outer jacket of the "twistable" portion of the cable had a pinstripe or some other visible marking that would make it easier to restore the cable to a properly untwisted state. I might try to find a light-colored permanent marker that would let me do that...

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 24
haha. When I first got mine a few days ago I was like, why does the y thing keep wanting to twist? Then I realized why, and fixed it.. I think it's just something you have to live with a twist the cup back the right way

Jun 20, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 24
ipod freezes
xbox red rings of death
ice poles make tongue blue
cigarettes kill

people love all these items and there not so welcome quirks!!
why chase perfection you will never reach it!!
at least grado got close lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back