Best way to hook up a home amp to receiver?
Jun 20, 2005 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I am wanting to lean away from using the RCA to mini and wanted some direction on hooking up my home headphone amp to the receiver.

I have my DVD player (which I also use for music) and an Xbox (both running through the receiver). I'm using Coax for the DVD and Opt for the Xbox, do I have any options here??

I've tried a few things but I can't seem to get any sound the way my rig is set up. Feel free to take a look at the back of my amp here and make some suggestions, thanks!

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Actually, I would use the left and right preamp outputs (assuming you're not using the Receiver to also power a speaker system).

-Dan

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Actually, I would use the left and right preamp outputs (assuming you're not using the Receiver to also power a speaker system).

Gain stage into gain stage is not a good idea.

Any noise produced by the preamp (and all electronics have noise) will be amplified by the gain of the headphone amp.If that headphone amp gain is X10 then the noise will also be increased X10.
A voltage follower/unity gain buffer amp could be used after a preamp but a headphone amp that already has a gain stage should only be connected this way as a last resort.

even then i would avoid this method of connection and find another way.

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 9
I may have to mess with some of the programing to run "tape out" because I tried that and could not get sound when just playing a cd on my dvd player via "coax in" and "dvd coax in assigned" or by selecting tape out on the receiver.
I could have taken stoopid pills prior and am missing something obvious but I will have to toy with it a bit.

Thanks for the assist
icon10.gif

Jun 23, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

I may have to mess with some of the programing to run "tape out" because I tried that and could not get sound when just playing a cd on my dvd player via "coax in" and "dvd coax in assigned" or by selecting tape out on the receiver.

I have never owned a receiver that did not have active record outputs at all times so that is a strange one.Are you sure you are hooked up to the record outputs (tape output) and not tape monitor which is an input ?

Jun 23, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
I have never owned a receiver that did not have active record outputs at all times so that is a strange one.Are you sure you are hooked up to the record outputs (tape output) and not tape monitor which is an input ?

I thought it was but again I could have been on auto pilot or something. I believe that the problem may have something to do with the programing being set to read the "coax in" as DVD... maybe it should be read as CD to make the "tape out" talk to the other chanel... I dono but I will play with it this weekend.

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 9
hmmmmm.....

DVD players the coax out only works if you set the player to use "dual outputs" so you have both a line out for DVD and a digital "PCM stream" for the coax spdif.
I think this is source related and not a problem with your receiver at all.Check the DVD player menu for the fix.You need to check the "PCM" box in the menu

Rick

Jun 23, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
hmmmmm.....

DVD players the coax out only works if you set the player to use "dual outputs" so you have both a line out for DVD and a digital "PCM stream" for the coax spdif.
I think this is source related and not a problem with your receiver at all.Check the DVD player menu for the fix.You need to check the "PCM" box in the menu

Rick

good call, you are probably right... thanks for the help (fingers crossed) I'll give it a shot this weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back