Best way to burn-in headphones?
May 29, 2004 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

billmit

New Head-Fier
Hello guru's,

I just bought a new pair of "AKG K271 Studio" headphones, (my 1st headphones over $50). So I was wondering, is there a "preferred way" you guys have to burn-in new headphones? (a particular CD, amount of time, volume setting, ect.)

Also, this may be a silly question, but on regular bookshelf speakers, does the tweeter itself actually benifits from a burn-in period. (?)

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty much a newbie to all this stuff, and I'm just not even sure what a burn-in is actually doing. Is it somehow "relaxing" the resistance of the speaker "cushions"?

THANK YOU for any tips or info you wish to share.

Bill in Cali

P.S. Love the site, and I'm glad I found it!

May 29, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 22
The best way to "burn-in" headphones is to just use them as you normally do. You will become accustomed to how they sound and, at the same time, they will "burn-in". Don't take my word for it though, try things yourself.

JF

May 30, 2004 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 22
Oops, I'm so new here, I overlooked that sticky FAQ post about burn-in. However, between the time that I submitted the question, and then later seeing the post, I found this "burn-in CD" on ebay for $9. I guess you could consider it a luxury item, but I thought I'd post the link anyway. It's probably old news to many of ya, but it looks interesting nonetheless.

I guess ya just "loop" this CD through your headphones (Track 1), or surround sound speakers (Track 2), and it will evenly burn them in, utilizing every possible frequency.

A "complete & even" burn-in sounds like the main advantage here, since it contains every possible frequency. The main objective being that it would cover any "less emphasized" frequencies that some types of music may run a bit thin on. The CD is called "The Ultra Burn-in CD 3000".

http://www.testdisc.umsebiz.com

Anyhoo, just my 2-cents. Contributing a "newbie link" may indeed just be "pocket change", but hey, whacha expect on my very 1st post!
wink.gif

Bill in Cali
cool.gif

May 30, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
The best way to "burn-in" headphones is to just use them as you normally do. You will become accustomed to how they sound and, at the same time, they will "burn-in".

Agreed. IMO the second best way is to hit them with a lot of low bass at a reasonably high volume.

May 30, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by billmit
Hello guru's,

I just bought a new pair of "AKG K271 Studio" headphones, (my 1st headphones over $50). So I was wondering, is there a "preferred way" you guys have to burn-in new headphones?

Bill in Cali

P.S. Love the site, and I'm glad I found it!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 'BURN-IN'.

May 30, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 22
i burned my A900s in with just letting it run though my mp3 itunes playlist for about 75 hours. it seems to definatly help the bass sounds a ton better.

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Scarpitti

Dear Mike,

Can you prove it!? I'd like to weigh the evidence for myself...

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 22
When youre not listening to them, just let them play. Place them under a pillow if it bothers people.

Garrett

Nov 24, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
The best way to "burn-in" headphones is to just use them as you normally do. You will become accustomed to how they sound and, at the same time, they will "burn-in". Don't take my word for it though, try things yourself.

JF

I also agree with this man, there is NO magic burn-in method, it's a change of mind not physical.

Nov 24, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS GLOBAL WARMING, EITHER.

Nov 24, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

You knew you were going to get some slack on that post, didn't you! But it's all good, that's why where here, to educate you!! This was probably said before, but if I have a Sennheiser HD600, with over 300 hours of use on it, and in the other corner of the ring, a brand new one, why do they sound different, is it that they were made that way!
rolleyes.gif
Just keep building up the hours, it will come, trust me.
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 22
Whether or not burn-in occurs or not, there is no particular drawback to getting one of those burn in mp3s, putting your headphone under a pillow, and looping it.

Having said this I haven't bothered to do the above yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back