Best way of listening to music while laying in bed?
Oct 16, 2008 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

brandnewgame

100+ Head-Fier
Take into consideration that you may fall asleep with whatever it is in/on your ears and an IEM that's in deep may get pushed even further while a full-size can may be uncomfortable and/or not survive a rough night..

I ask because I want to do it the best way
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 23
I regularly fall asleep listening to an audiobook, but i wouldn't attempt to do so with anything other than speakers.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 23
IEMs vary. I remembered trying to sleep with Marshmallows and when I lay on my side it would go to deep and I just wouldn't hear anything. With the JBL Reference 220 it feels a bit uncomfortable laying on my side but I can still hear the music. I say earbuds are the way to go but silly me left my 2nd gen iBuds (which have great sound quality compared to the old ones) because I thought I would never need those again. Also its easier for an earbud to fall out (may not matter depending on how you sleep) so you won't get unnecessary hearing loss. The earbuds are also less isolating so if a firebell goes off in the middle of your sleep you will still be alive instead of dying because your Etys block out too much sound.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #6 of 23
Speakers down low. Headphones are obviously out, and as mentioned, earphones tend to fall out. Partners, if any, also tend not to appreciate extra bits of wire in the way...

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dopeboyfresh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IEMs vary. I remembered trying to sleep with Marshmallows and when I lay on my side it would go to deep and I just wouldn't hear anything. With the JBL Reference 220 it feels a bit uncomfortable laying on my side but I can still hear the music. I say earbuds are the way to go but silly me left my 2nd gen iBuds (which have great sound quality compared to the old ones) because I thought I would never need those again. Also its easier for an earbud to fall out (may not matter depending on how you sleep) so you won't get unnecessary hearing loss. The earbuds are also less isolating so if a firebell goes off in the middle of your sleep you will still be alive instead of dying because your Etys block out too much sound.

I admit I chuckled at the ety part because those are exactly what I use and I indeed cant hear much with them, but you should at least try some IEMs that truly go IN ear, instead of sit outside a bit and have a tip going in - they are MUCH nicer for sleeping in.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I admit I chuckled at the ety part because those are exactly what I use and I indeed cant hear much with them, but you should at least try some IEMs that truly go IN ear, instead of sit outside a bit and have a tip going in - they are MUCH nicer for sleeping in.

Which Etys? I swear my old ER-4Ps (which I'm soon getting again) would have stuck out too far for this..

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 23
In order of preference:

Custom IEMs first (UE10 with iPod and a variety of portable amps). I like the comfort and simplicity of it and the fact that I can search for songs/albums on the iPod while lying in bed. No need to change CDs.

Speakers second (Talon Audio Khorus speakers for my bedroom setup with Audio Aero Prima and Bel Canto amps in a bridged mono configuration). It's a fairly large room (15' x 16') and sounds quite full. But as nice as it sounds, I want to be sitting up in bed to listen more critically. Otherwise, I always feel that I'll be "missing" something if I lay back on my pillow without propping my head up. Plus, it's my 2nd system and doesn't sound as good as my MBL system in the living room. So it's kind of a Catch 22. To really enjoy it, I need to focus on it, and if I'm in the mood to focus on it, I'd rather be listening to the MBL system!

Radio third (Tivoli Model 3 analog clock radio with extra speaker for stereo sound). This is actually pretty decent sounding, especially when I lay with my head at the foot of the bed. The Trivoli components are situated on each of the night stands, so with my head at the foot of the bed I get a nice, mellow sounding radio in stereo. If only I had this setup back in high school. This is a fun system to listen to on Sunday mornings while reading a pile of newspapers. I don't listen to radio nearly enough, and am pleasantly surprised at how good the Tivoli unit sounds.

Full size headphones fourth (using a Singlepower Maestro and a variety of headphones). Normally, I listen to full size headphones in another room in an easy chair. But on occasion, I'll fire up the Maestro and use the R10 or L3000 for a good session in bed. I don't find it nearly as comfortable or as convenient as the iPod/UE10.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandnewgame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Etys? I swear my old ER-4Ps (which I'm soon getting again) would have stuck out too far for this..

How far in did you put them? I am not sure how big they are relative to my ER 6i's, but they look about the same. When I use the triflanges I put them in to where the housing of the driver is at the end of or past the little flap on my ear.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How far in did you put them? I am not sure how big they are relative to my ER 6i's, but they look about the same. When I use the triflanges I put them in to where the housing of the driver is at the end of or past the little flap on my ear.

ER6iBlack.jpg

ER-4P.jpg

Quite different profiles..

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 23
http://www.headphone.com/headphonegeek/CRW_3230.jpg

Here we go....

The ER4P's seem to be about the same size, maybe a tiny bit longer mostly from the cable than the er6i's - the blue silicone flanges will try to show otherwise but the triflanges shorten it up quite a bit as they are really only the length past the housing of two flanges. The cables would pose a problem for sleeping with them thanks to the angle there....

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 23
I've used headphones, full size can be used but its not very comfortable as you can't lie on your side. But its not too bad as when I really get the urge to do so I can fall asleep pretty easy and know to put the phones away. Unless I am using the ol'HD-25's, in which case I can lie on my side with the phones on and pressing them against the pillow, no problem or hesitation.

But recently have been using a speakers.

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #15 of 23
you just have to use the 'sound pillow'! yup, thats right, a pillow with integrated speaker. Whats not to like!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back