Best very portable amp
May 28, 2004 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by james__bean
The Ray Samuels SR-71 looks promising. I guess it's the size of a pack of cigarettes. No bass boost though as far as I know.

I second this. It is an amazing amp, and you won't belive that it comes this small. When you listen to this, you will forget about not having a bass boost.

Regards,
Dan

May 28, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 21
I'll agree with the SR71. It's smaller than the PR (I think. I never saw the PR in person) and the sound is tremendous. Everything is surface mounted though so no opamp rolling. Doesn't matter though, it sounds great. I'm really contemplating getting one of these amps. It will be $395. PR is $350 unless you get it maxxed out. Then it's $495. I'm sure it sounds outrageous too though.

May 28, 2004 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 21
There are no RCA coneectors in the SR-71. Both input & output are 1/8" mini jacks or they call them 3.5 Mils, both of these connectors are on the front face.
Ray Samuels

May 28, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 21
Are there any photos around of the SR71? I'm looking for an amp for my DAP (read: amp needs to be tiny). So far the front-runner is Xin's supermicro, but if this SR71 is as slick as people are saying it is... I'll have to take a peek.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 21
For a "crude" picture of the amp click on the link in my sig for the Head-Fi meet and go to the "Emmeline Series Amps" or the "XP7" picture. Keep in mind that the XP7 was designed as a dual home and portable amp, so you can judge how small the SR71 is in comparison. Not quite as small as a supermicro or even a supermini, but miles apart in terms of sound quality. That's not to knock the Fixup amps, they're great for tiny little amplifiers, amazing really. But if you're looking for the best sound quality in the smallest package, I think it will be hard to beat the SR71.

I'm not sure if there are any "glamour" shots of the amp around, but Ray should know. Remember, the amp on my webpage is just a prototype that was hand finished. The production models will be black brushed aluminum like the XP7.

May 28, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PedigreeE
When will this be ready to ship, and who can I place orders through?

Try Todd the Vinyl Junkie. They're expected to be ready around June 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back