best version of pink floyd to get?
Jun 13, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 12
the 20th is a good edition of that album. the shine on box set quality is very good.... or if you have the means the mfsl vinyl or mfsl cds are good too. the box set however does not have all the albums, but has the best ones, except for atom heart mother.

but as far as availability goes the shine on box set is your best bet, but rather pricey. i have one in reserve for a rainy day.

Jun 13, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 12
Delicate Sound of Thunder. Also check out the film of it.

Jun 18, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 12
well, ok, let me rephrase

just like how the 20th anniv ed of DSOTM is the best redbook, besting the new SACD mix, are there any other cases like this for the wall or wish you were here, or their other albums? or should I just pick up the SACD versions?

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by karmypolitics
...are there any other cases like this for the wall or wish you were here, or their other albums? or should I just pick up the SACD versions?

There are SACD versions?

Jun 18, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Delicate Sound of Thunder. Also check out the film of it.

Is the film called Delicate Sound of Thunder? If so, I didn't know this existed. Is it on DVD?

Jun 18, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 12
I know there was never a US release for DSOT. Saw some European stuff floating around. Every once in awhile I see it on Ebay, but they all looked like pirated transfers (via VHS).

Jun 18, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 12
As an aside you may find "Echoes, the best of Pink Floyd" an interesting mix and supposedly made with the active participation of Waters, Gilmour, Mason and Wright. I also agree with "Delicate Sound of Thunder" and would mention "Pulse" and "In the Flesh" as some of the best live recordings to own. It's interesting to compare Water's "In the Flesh" with "Pulse" or "DSOT". The spirit of the Floyd music, in my opinion, is equal in all three and the "In the Flesh" DVD is one of the best, if not THE best concert DVD, I have seen and heard to date.

Jun 27, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 12
The best versions of Dark Side of the Moon are the ones from the Harvest label, but the ones available now are from the lesser quality Capital label. I think the 20th Anniversary edition you mentioned is a Capital. The former MFSL gold CDs of Dark Side is the better Harvest version. I have the regular non-gold Harvest Dark Side and it sounds great....I would try to get a Harvest version used somewhere...

Jun 27, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 12
comparing the tracks from "echoes" with the mfsl cd's of "wish you were here" and "meddle", i have to go with mfsl gold discs. there are more dynamics and warmth on the mfsl discs, more what i would imagine the vinyl might sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back