BEST VALUE ''around 100-300$'' CHIFI & NEWCOMERS IEM with REFERENCE List (no BIG brands here)
Feb 20, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #76 of 592
I see you have the Brainwavz B400, how would you describe the sound? Did it take a more neutral balanced approach??

I might try it, man, it make a very long time I don't listen to Brainwavz stuffs, it was in the time where Xiaomi V2 was the big thing lol Find there products stand appart in term of tuning and construction, but was more a basshead 5 years ago.

I hope B400 are not too bright, thats all, and that imaging is top notch for a 4BA.

I have mixed emotions about the b400, they are nearly neutral and probably as good an in-ear as $200 can buy when considering only the near reference signature. The fact that the shell cracked on one of mine while in the carrying case and I have sent several emails asking about getting it fixed or replaced that have all gone unanswered makes me uncomfortable recommending them as several others have reported similar durability issues and at that price point, I just don't feel that is acceptable.

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #77 of 592
I have mixed emotions about the b400, they are nearly neutral and probably as good an in-ear as $200 can buy when considering only the near reference signature. The fact that the shell cracked on one of mine while in the carrying case and I have sent several emails asking about getting it fixed or replaced that have all gone unanswered makes me uncomfortable recommending them as several others have reported similar durability issues and at that price point, I just don't feel that is acceptable.
Thanks for telling about this problem, i was comtemplating the b400, i hate all the planned obsolescence that goes into name brand stuff these days, atleast the cheaper chifi stuff seems just as good as most name brand stuff, but anytime you spend $100 or more there should be more care and quality control

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #78 of 592
That suck...but Did you still had your warranty or make proper registration about it??

So its more about the built than the sound here I guess. I'm always more interested in soud, but construction should at least have no issue for a year, and even more when we go up price range. How much time you own them before this happen? Did you know what can have cause cracking issue?

As well was it in winter??

I ask that because my TRN IM1 fall appart without any reason and my suspicion is about sudden temperature change from cold to hot, or perhaps dry to humid climate too...

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #79 of 592
Roughly a year before I noticed it. They were stored in their protective case and when I got them out one side is cracked. You would think that protected in their case and sitting in a storage box with my other reference in-ears would be adequate protection but in this case it was not. I never took them out of the house or had them in a backpack or bookbag as many others surely will. That is part of why I warn about the durability, they were not abused and not subject to anything rough and still cracked. Had I thrown them in my bag, I would put a caveat to be gentle with them and admit some fault in the issue as I have in one other case (AKG N40 nozzle). This is purely a case of the shells are thin enough that any pressure may cause a crack.

At this point, I am chalking it up to learning experience since it was slightly over a year and they are not offering any other remedy, I am just trying to make sure others are aware that this may be an issue and take appropriate caution with these should they decide to purchase them. I think they would be a poor choice as a travel companion.

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #80 of 592
Okay, will note that any kind of long hard pressure on the shell could cause damage. Unfortunate for you...hope it do not affect too much the sound tough.

Fact that it make more than one year was surely problematic and explain part of lack of answer...i guess.

This type of thing happen lot of time to me wich cheap iem from shaddy aliexpress seller...for brainwavz, i did not have trouble with S1 and S0 that I own for a year before giving them to friends and family...anyway, will still be vera precoutious with those, even if its not my style as I rarely even use protective case.

What in an other hand would be your must durable iem?? For me its the Z5000....i beat them up so hard, cannot do any damage, real tank.

And more about this price range thread, i'm wondering about the new Simgot EM serie...especially EM2 and EM3.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #81 of 592
Just receive the Brainwavz B400 today, with high expactation about sound (and low about construction). To be honnest, its as if its the first time I heard proper tuning multi BA's customs because I just heard cheaper chi-fi model like KZ ZS6, ZS5 etc(and I include the NiceHCK M6-BGVP DMG in the list but in a less troubling extend).
I was very afraid of harsh peaks, sibilance, bad ba's tuning or too cold sound...and this isn't the case at all, its a fast and tighly punchy precise presentation, with deeper than wider soundstage and far from sounding too bright. Quite impress by the agility of these blue not too cold popsicle!
They aren't very photogenical, but take great sounds pictures:wink:
P2220748.JPG P2220740.JPG P2220738.JPG P2220737.JPG P2220735.JPG

Attachments

• P2220745.JPG
    P2220745.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #82 of 592
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #83 of 592
@HungryPanda What would be your choice for best chifi iem around 200$?? I'm pretty sure you have some favorite haven't you??

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #84 of 592
These IKKO OH1 look great value.

Wonder if I should put it on the list.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ikko-oh1.23467/reviews

Still need more suggestions. B400 are good but a little pricey at 200$ IMO. So much competition in this price range.

Kanas Pro is already there so, it beats OH1, still can be up for competition though.

@HungryPanda What would be your choice for best chifi iem around 200$?? I'm pretty sure you have some favorite haven't you??

200 to 300 put it Tanjhcim Oxygen! and LZ A5 maybe..

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #85 of 592
I don't know if it is considered chi-fi but it fits your other criteria. Pioneer SE-CH9T fits into the $100 category

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #86 of 592
Feb 27, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #87 of 592
Kanas Pro is already there so, it beats OH1, still can be up for competition though.

200 to 300 put it Tanjhcim Oxygen! and LZ A5 maybe..

Thanks for suggestions man.

Yeah, sure....The Kanas Pro are so praised its crazy. Or isn't?

Now i'm more curious to compare 100-300$ (pseudo) TOTL chi-fi to big brand in this price range.

OH1 is cheaper and will perhaps go down....did you try it?? I will surely, but not the Kanas. What about Moondrop blessing??

Hum, perhaps you make a typing error with this Tanjhcim iem...have you a link. Never heard of them. LA A5 is a good idea too!

Feb 27, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #88 of 592
I don't know if it is considered chi-fi but it fits your other criteria. Pioneer SE-CH9T fits into the $100 category
Nice , but I think will include those SE-CH9T in Sub-100 best budget earphones and just concentrate to list the best chifi products here. Really need to give a try tothese Pioneer one day, would like to borrow them or something...so talk about.

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #89 of 592
Thanks for suggestions man.

Yeah, sure....The Kanas Pro are so praised its crazy. Or isn't?

Now i'm more curious to compare 100-300$ (pseudo) TOTL chi-fi to big brand in this price range.

OH1 is cheaper and will perhaps go down....did you try it?? I will surely, but not the Kanas. What about Moondrop blessing??

Hum, perhaps you make a typing error with this Tanjhcim iem...have you a link. Never heard of them. LA A5 is a good idea too!

My bad sir, its supposed to be Tanchjim Oxygen. I also have difficult time to remember what is the correct spelling, very difficult brand name to remember. Kanas Pro is real, will put up my review later, hype is real its really good, i got EX1000 to compare with too, EX1000 still better (some people hyperbole hyped about its better than EX1000, still below, but by not much, really really good. The clarity is on par on both.

I've never heard Blessing, i think its slightly detailed than Kanas Pro based on reviews, never heard them directly though. But crinacle put Blessing on A- tier, sits among other more expensive iems. He said "closest iem to Harman target you can get", but BGGA review said Kanas Pro is better.
I cant confirm yet but the guys at Moondrop is really good at tuning.

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #90 of 592

Happy to say I have gotten a response at this point and sent order number and photos to Brainwavz, I am not sure of the outcome yet, but at least communication seems to have improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back