Best USB DAC under $£200?
Nov 30, 2016 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

discape

Head-Fier
I have the SMSL M3 but thinking of trading in due to some issues with it. I need an USB DAC for my laptop that has RCA out AND headphone jack. Aware of the audio engine D1, Was hoping there was more choice in the market?

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 15

Why is that do you think? I'd think it would be a big market. If you play you music from your PC, you want to output to both speakers and 'phones

I personally don't ever need the signal to output at the same time. I use a Schiit Asgard 2. When I have my headphones plugged in, it mutes the speakers. When I unplug the headphones, then the speakers come on.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 15
  I personally don't ever need the signal to output at the same time. I use a Schiit Asgard 2. When I have my headphones plugged in, it mutes the speakers. When I unplug the headphones, then the speakers come on.

I don't really care that much about that, playing simeltenously, I'm just looking for USB DACs that have both a RCA out and Headphone out. I didn't mean that I needed them both to play at the same time.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 15

You Schitt Asgard though doesn't function as a USB DAC for a computr, which is what I'm looking for as I play my music from laptop,

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 15
Did you edit your original post? I could have sworn you didn't like the fact that your speakers stopped playing when you plugged in your headphones.

Anyway, a Schiit stack would be my recommendation. I lot of people are going to recommend the Modi 2/Magni 2, but I can't personally recommend the Magni. I would get a Modi 2 and an Asgard 2. Modi 2 plugs into computer with USB, and Asgard 2 plugs into Modi 2. I know it's a bit beyond your price range, but I think the Asgard 2 is miles better than the Magni.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 15
  Did you edit your original post? I could have sworn you didn't like the fact that your speakers stopped playing when you plugged in your headphones.

Anyway, a Schiit stack would be my recommendation. I lot of people are going to recommend the Modi 2/Magni 2, but I can't personally recommend the Magni. I would get a Modi 2 and an Asgard 2. Modi 2 plugs into computer with USB, and Asgard 2 plugs into Modi 2. I know it's a bit beyond your price range, but I think the Asgard 2 is miles better than the Magni.

Yes I edited that because I was just trying to make a minor point about that, it's not a deal breaker like maybe I made it sound.

Issue wih the Schiit stack is that the amp needs to be plugged into a mains socket. I'm just looking for all in one USB power without having to mess with mains power.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 15

Yes I edited that because I was just trying to make a minor point about that, it's not a deal breaker like maybe I made it sound.

Issue wih the Schiit stack is that the amp needs to be plugged into a mains socket. I'm just looking for all in one USB power without having to mess with mains power.

If you need it to be USB-powered, then yeah, go with the Audioengine D1.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 15
  Schiit just released this today as well, could be what you are looking for. 

http://schiit.com/products/fulla-2

Thanks they're very interesting, I'm guessing those 2 output sockets are line outs that could be connected to a rca ins? idk, the site doesn't really make it clear what they are actually. I'll look into it.  Just a shame there's no gain switch.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 15

Thanks they're very interesting, I'm guessing those 2 output sockets are line outs that could be connected to a rca ins? idk, the site doesn't really make it clear what they are actually. I'll look into it.  Just a shame there's no gain switch.

One of them is a line out and the other one is an adjustable line out. Look at the FAQ section of the product page. With that low of wattage, what are you going to need a gain switch for by the way?

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 15
  One of them is a line out and the other one is an adjustable line out. Look at the FAQ section of the product page. With that low of wattage, what are you going to need a gain switch for by the way?

I have an smsl m3 with wattage of 32Ω - 108mW, which is too loud, this fulla 2 is rated at 320mW at 32Ω. . but other than that, thanks for notifying me of this timely release! I'd order it right away but I'm in U.K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back