Best USB DAC for $100 or less?
Dec 16, 2007 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TheRH

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering what is that best USB DAC for $100 or less?

Thanks

Dec 16, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spend a bit more and get EMU0404 USB and use as DAC instead of external soundcard. That's the best you will probably get for the buck.

yup.. and i compared them to the apogee mini dac ($1200) as a standalone dac and i preferred the emu0404 usb.

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 18
Super Pro is pretty good.

another even cheaper option is the Edirol/Roland UA1EX. USB, very quiet even on laptop or computer AC power (quieter than the Superpro), driver or non driver mode (must for 24bit DAC otherwise 16bit), works with ASIO or Kernel stream. Okay with the edirol, you can connect your headphones or IEMS directly to it via the 3.5mm jack. It also has a gold plated RCA lineout if you have IC's and a an external amp. If you get a DAC1, Lavry, or ZeroDAC then it also has mini optical (if your laptop doesnt have SPDIF outputs). I use this with my laptop setup. It does so many things and does everything pretty well.

Dec 17, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about an Alien dac from Masantos?

Not sure if there are any more of those available, but creating a DIY Alien DAC is an option if the boards are still available.

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never tried the EMU but this seems like a good alternative for $75.

Where do you see EMU0404 USB for $75.00? Most places sell them for $200.00. Maybe you are looking at EMU0202?

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 18
Hi!
I wanted a DAC for a portable rig and my first consideration was that I did not new much about DAC. Except that it enhances digital sound from a laptop.
And their is ALOT of choice if you search a little.

My main use was to be with/from a portable set-up that needed to be light and compact .

And I did not want to spend alot of money$$, as I had no experience with the DACs and I prefered to experience, starting low on the ladder of "upgraditism".

So I got this: USB DAC Cable for Headphone Amplifier Amp cMoy Chu Moy
from

USB DAC Cable for Headphone Amplifier Amp cMoy Chu Moy - (eBay.ca item 320194388534 end time 09-Jan-08 00:10:22 EST)

This is definitively starting on the lower rungs, but this thing works great. Even 16 bits is much better than the cheap sound coming out from the laptop I used.

I plug it into my headphone amp and it does the job.

the only config I had to do was on a Linux OS, I had to configure the Amarock Music Player to use the DAC.

So if I want to upgrade I have something to which I can refer.

regards,

Dec 17, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 18
I'm willing to get a kit, and long as it can include that parts for the DAC.

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #14 of 18
Virtually all computer audio devices are capable of using Kernel Streaming, so yes.
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Virtually all computer audio devices are capable of using Kernel Streaming, so yes.
biggrin.gif

Hi,

In Foobar I receive an error that it cannot open the device, when I choose USB Audio Device Kernel Streaming. Any tricks I should know about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back