best upgrade option?
May 11, 2004 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

braindead

New Head-Fier
i have been lurking for a while and made some purchases to try out some of the things i didn't even know about before finding this forum (like canal phones and amps) - now i have the bug and want some advice on where to spend some money next.

i currently have a 2nd gen iPOD (waiting for the 4th gen), total airhead and ER-6 for portable use, for home use I swap the ER-6 for SR-80s.

would the next logical upgrade be from the ER-6 to the ER-4s or from the SR-80 to the SR-225 (bang for buck wise)?

Or, should i save my money and wait and buy UE-10s or RS-1/RA-1???

I am a little confused at what point headphones cross that threshold of having higher specs than an average listener would actually be able to hear without nitpicking (by analogy, a Ferrari has specs that most people would never get near using).

thanks.

(i would also like to use my first thread to thank all the regular posters who have given me much valuable info, a confused headache, and made my wallet weep)

May 11, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 4
Although I never had the ER6, I do own the ER4P/S and did upgrade from the SR60 to SR225 (since sold). A lot of variables with music preferences, listening environments, etc., but I think the ER4s are better overall phones than any Grado, including RS1. I think they're up there with the HD650 and CD3K. I like Grados and am thinking of picking up a pair of MS1s for fun soon, but I think the upper Etys (especially the ER4S if you like detail, but shy away from brightness), are in another class. Again though as for how major an upgrade they are from the ER6, I have no idea.

EDIT: And welcome to Head-Fi.

May 11, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 4
And sorry for your wallet
icon10.gif

May 12, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 4
blessingx, ety's imo are only good for portable use, well for me. The cord is really really short. cant do much else with it. I have heard the er6's and i didn't like them much. Too analytical. No low end. I like the boom, but im not a total bass head. you can always buy them from a place that has returns and try them both..and see which one u like better and if u dont like any of them return them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back