Best upgrade from Sennheiser PX100 for iPod use?
Oct 26, 2008 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

taz

New Head-Fier
I have a new iPod Classic and listen to lossless music using my Sennheiser PX100s. The sound is very nice indeed: a touch laid back, very open and detailed.

I am sure I can improve on the PX100s, as good as they are, as I don't think i'm getting the best out of the lossless tracks on my iPod.

I'm willing to spend up to 150GBP (240USD) on full-size headphones that meet the following criteria:

1. Must be a significant aural upgrade from the PX100s;

2. Need to be driven solely by the iPod Classic (i.e. no headphone amplifier required);

3. Provide a laid-back, very detailed, warm sound - I listen to smooth jazz most of the time;

4. Must be sourced from within the UK.

With some research I have seen the following headphones mentioned on various forums:

- Grado SR60
- Grado SR80
- Sennheiser HD595

All of the above are easily within my budget. I also know about the Allesandro MS1s but don't want to order from abroad. So, are there any others that I should consider and which headphones would give me the best audio quality from the smooth jazz lossless tracks on my iPod and improve upon my PX100s?

Oct 26, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 19
You may be able to find a ATH-ESW9 for sale. This one can be worth looking for in my opinion. Someone maybe thinking about getting the newer ESW10JPN if they can sell their ESW9. The main problem with your buying a used one here is that you are so new, sorry.

Oct 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 19
Why don't you want to order from abroad? That's one of the advantages of buying Alessandro's from outside the US: the shipping is the same, regardless of where you live.

As I was reading your list of criteria, the MS-1 is actually exactly what I was thinking of recommending... and was my first upgrade from PX-100!

Oct 26, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 19
Grados are definitely not laid-back - they have an in-your-face type of sound that works best for rock. Personally, I am also a big fan of smooth jazz and found that Audio-Technica headphones tend to be very nice for this type of music. If you have the money, check out ATH-AD900 (will cost you about $200-$250 US depending on where you look). They are laid-back and have great soundstage and detail.

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 19
The AD900 and HD595 seem like two very good options. I particularly enjoyed the HD595 with jazz when I had it. From my use of the A900, it had a softer type of sound, good for relaxing. My personal preference would be with the HD595 for jazz, but I'm sure the AD900 would be a fine choice. And, the type of sound of the HD595 is much closer to the PX100 than the AD900.

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 19
Stick with the PX100 FORRRREEEEVVEERRRRRRR
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stick with the PX100 FORRRREEEEVVEERRRRRRR
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, I could do! They do provide a truly remarkable sound. But as my music is in lossless format, I was wondering whether I could extract even more detail from the music with a better pair of headphones.

I am now seriously looking at the Sennheiser HD595s but those don't seem to be highly rated in these forums. I would imagine that they would deliver smooth jazz very nicely. I favour subtlety over 'in your face' sound.

I'll also check out the AT headphones mentioned in this thread.

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you want to order from abroad? That's one of the advantages of buying Alessandro's from outside the US: the shipping is the same, regardless of where you live.

As I was reading your list of criteria, the MS-1 is actually exactly what I was thinking of recommending... and was my first upgrade from PX-100!

I had a look around the Alessandro site but Internet Explorer generated an SSL security error when I tried to check out:

Quote:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.

The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Click here to close this webpage.

Continue to this website (not recommended).

More information

I wouldn't really feel comfortable enetering any financial or personal information with those sorts of security warnings.

Oct 27, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are definitely not laid-back - they have an in-your-face type of sound that works best for rock. Personally, I am also a big fan of smooth jazz and found that Audio-Technica headphones tend to be very nice for this type of music. If you have the money, check out ATH-AD900 (will cost you about $200-$250 US depending on where you look). They are laid-back and have great soundstage and detail.

Thank you for your advice.

The specifications, on paper, of the ATH-AD900s look very good indeed. They are quite expensive here in the UK (costing around 200GBP - 313USD)! However, if they deliver the sound quality that I am after then I could extend my budget.

Do you happen to know if they could be driven directly from an iPod?

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 19
Goldring DR150 will run you real cheap.

EXCELLENT sound but i'm not sure that their sound profile matches your wishes. They have relativley forward mids and an emphasis on the highs. However, their sound is again, excellent. They'll run you 70 quid.

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #13 of 19
hey taz i have the HD595 & use them occasionally from ipod. i would say they are not ideal for this though, let me explain: firstly, the 6.33mm jack plug with supplied adapter is way too big & may destroy your headphone socket. you want a cable with a discreet mini plug or right angled one.

secondly, the cable is very long. thirdly, they are open cans so no matter how loud you will still hear outside noise while other people will hear your music.

for ipod i would suggest HD25-1 for all of the reasons i just said.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by taz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The specifications, on paper, of the ATH-AD900s look very good indeed. They are quite expensive here in the UK (costing around 200GBP - 313USD)! However, if they deliver the sound quality that I am after then I could extend my budget.

Do you happen to know if they could be driven directly from an iPod?

AD900 are excellent fons, and will be a significant step up (albeit with a totally different sound signature) on your PX100. AD900 can be driven easily from a DAP (IPOD) without the need for additional amp; however they will improve further if you decide to purchase an amp down the track. I believe the PX100 are still one of the best entry level headphones around, and I agree that the Alessandro MS1 is a step up, however the AD900 is a significant change and will give you one of the best soundstages of any non amp (external) driven headphone. Thy are comfortable as well, but: they are bloody huge and certainly not for portable usage.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #15 of 19
ive just gone from px100 ksc35 to ultrasone hfi-780 (mentioned in my mostly ignored first thread lol) was listening to swing when your winning last night and thinking how can anything improve on this sound ,the seperation soundstage detail and that really low bass that makes u feel your there live.(i would be so dissapointed with a bass shy can ,if its in the recording u should hear it imho)
driven with a cowon d2 and a fiio but also fine without the fiio.
downside very big for portable use and a 3mtr cable (so i may be wasting your time with this post), i paid £109 and am utterly amazed at whats coming out of these things

Users who are viewing this thread

Back