best universal player WITHOUT video
Oct 15, 2007 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
Damn it, I just got the complete (3 hour long) soundtrack from Fellowship of the Ring, and there is a fourth disc that has... DVD Audio of the entire soundtrack.

It turns out the other soundtracks from the series also have a DVD Audio version. These are my favorite songs of all time... Howard Shore is this generation's Wagner. I have no choice but to get a universal player, as these will probably never be released on LP, and it hurts to know there is a higher res version than what I can play
frown.gif

What is a good (yes, I'm willing to pony up a few clams) universal player (ie, also plays SACD, which my current player doesn't)? I could care less about video playback... does this have any effect on the model, ie, are there DVD Audio players with no video output? This would probably, in the neighborhood I'm thinking of, save a thousand or so.

Oct 15, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn it, I just got the complete (3 hour long) soundtrack from Fellowship of the Ring, and there is a fourth disc that has... DVD Audio of the entire soundtrack.

It turns out the other soundtracks from the series also have a DVD Audio version. These are my favorite songs of all time... Howard Shore is this generation's Wagner. I have no choice but to get a universal player, as these will probably never be released on LP, and it hurts to know there is a higher res version than what I can play
frown.gif

What is a good (yes, I'm willing to pony up a few clams) universal player (ie, also plays SACD, which my current player doesn't)? I could care less about video playback... does this have any effect on the model, ie, are there DVD Audio players with no video output? This would probably, in the neighborhood I'm thinking of, save a thousand or so.

in order to steer the menu the video is a necessity also on high end models
the video circuits can be turned off.

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 40
Ayre C5-xe no menu, no video, 2 channel only, pure audio bliss on SACD/DVDA
wink.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Howard Shore is this generation's Wagner.

Sorry but I just cant let that one go. Howard Shore does nice film scores. Wagner did epic all-encompassing thematically coherent operas, he developed the leit-motif, he devised a scale of expression unheard of until then. Howard Shore is more like this generation's Andrew Lloyd-Webber, nice tunes but not the same thing at all. Come back when Howard Shore has done a four-part 19 hour opera cycle.

IMO of course
biggrin.gif

Wagner was also by all acounts a real ****

Oct 15, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but I just cant let that one go. Howard Shore does nice film scores. Wagner did epic all-encompassing thematically coherent operas, he developed the leit-motif, he devised a scale of expression unheard of until then. Howard Shore is more like this generation's Andrew Lloyd-Webber, nice tunes but not the same thing at all. Come back when Howard Shore has done a four-part 19 hour opera cycle.

IMO of course
biggrin.gif

Wagner was also by all acounts a real ****

That's actually the reason I made the comparison... Shore makes huge use of leit-motif in these scores, and it IS an 11 hour opera if you look at it the correct way.

This doesn't refer to the generic "soundtrack" version. This is a 10 cd monster that develops numerous themes which are consistent throughout.

I'm not alone in making this comparison, it's a common reaction to the non-edited version.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

That's actually the reason I made the comparison... Shore makes huge use of leit-motif in these scores, and it IS an 11 hour opera if you look at it the correct way.

This doesn't refer to the generic "soundtrack" version. This is a 10 cd monster that develops numerous themes which are consistent throughout.

I'm not alone in making this comparison, it's a common reaction to the non-edited version.

Indeed, I did a search on "Howard Shore" and Wagner and the two are often considered in the same vein and mentioned in the same context. Well, there you go. I had not realised there was a "proper" version.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 40
Esoteric SA60 does dvd-a but not dvd-audio and of course the rest too. SACD/cd.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 40
Linn Akurate on order... which means I'll be selling my Great Northern Sound Reference modded Opus 21.

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, I did a search on "Howard Shore" and Wagner and the two are often considered in the same vein and mentioned in the same context. Well, there you go. I had not realised there was a "proper" version.

Yep, it's amazing. Of course, 99% of the Lord of the Rings fans are completely unwilling to pay in the neighborhood of $150 for the complete score, so not many have heard it the way it's meant to be.

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Yep, it's amazing. Of course, 99% of the Lord of the Rings fans are completely unwilling to pay in the neighborhood of $150 for the complete score, so not many have heard it the way it's meant to be.

Is the Return of the King extended out? I have the extended editions for Fellowship and Two Towers, and they are fantastic. Each can be found for around $60, which is pretty reasonable.

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Linn Akurate on order... which means I'll be selling my Great Northern Sound Reference modded Opus 21.

Holy crap you went all out! I for one am looking forward to your impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Return of the King extended out? I have the extended editions for Fellowship and Two Towers, and they are fantastic. Each can be found for around $60, which is pretty reasonable.

$60 for the EEs is a pretty huge rip-off, where are you quoting that from? RotK EE has been out since 2004, you can get it from Amazon for $22.49:
http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Pla...2487393&sr=1-1

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crap you went all out! I for one am looking forward to your impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

$60 for the EEs is a pretty huge rip-off, where are you quoting that from? RotK EE has been out since 2004, you can get it from Amazon for $22.49:
http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Pla...2487393&sr=1-1

I wasn't referring to the DVDs. I was referring to the extended edition soundtracks that earwicker made this thread about.

But I guess they've really come down in price as amazon.com is showing Fellowship for $35: http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fel...2487777&sr=1-2

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't referring to the DVDs. I was referring to the extended edition soundtracks that earwicker made this thread about.

But I guess they've really come down in price as amazon.com is showing Fellowship for $35: http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fel...2487777&sr=1-2

Oh I didn't know there were EE soundtrack CDs. Must add them to my CD collection.
smily_headphones1.gif
Looks like the RotK one will be released on 11/6 for $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back