Best Universal IEM?
Oct 10, 2012 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

funsound

Aka: westonelove
CAUTION: Incomplete trades.
What's the best universal IEM on the market right now, regardless of price?
I have the pfe232's and am wondering if there are IEM's that are quite a bit better than them.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 15
FitEar TG334, AKG K3003, Traslucent 1Plus2 are the first (and more expensive) to come to mind. Others of a similar price would be the Heir Audio 4.Ai, the UE900, and the unreleased IE800. The PFE232s are already pretty high up on the scale, great technical performer, and I like them more than the K3003s. Would still take the W4s on sound sig alone.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 15
I can only comment on the TG334. With a shallow insertion and larger tip it is the best sounding iem I've ever heard. With deep insertion the bass becomes flabby & everything gets a little muddled. I really love this iem.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 15
The Phonaks are pretty up high up there.  The thing is that they perform well against some other IEMs.  Namely the W4 for example is another one that's well up there and (in my opinion) on the same technical level as the 232.  Both have their flaws though. 

I saw the UE900s up there, I do prefer them over the 232, but they aren't technically better.  Right now, the best two in my collection (technically) are the W4 and 232. 

Oct 10, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
I can only comment on the TG334. With a shallow insertion and larger tip it is the best sounding iem I've ever heard. With deep insertion the bass becomes flabby & everything gets a little muddled. I really love this iem.

I so agree on this post.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 15
There is no real correct answer.  It depends what you personally like in a sound signature.  Could even depend the mood you are in. 

Some would say hands down Etymotic, some don't like Etymotic at all.  Some have a lot of praise for W4 and some might say it is Westones 3rd best universal.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
What's the best universal IEM on the market right now, regardless of price?
I have the pfe232's and am wondering if there are IEM's that are quite a bit better than them.

Yes. The AKG K3003 is much better than any of the second tier IEM's, including the Sony MDR-EX1000, the Ortofon EQ-7 etc. So if, as I suspect, the PFE232 are in the general class of these, you can indeed do better. The FitEar TG334 is highly rated by many of the hi-end IEM crowd and I suspect may be better than the AKG's. You might also consider the somewhat pricey Final Audio Design units if you are looking for a bit more "musicality"...

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 15
Personally, I prefer W4 in terms of it's SS. There is simply no other phones in this world that can keep me listening for hours without feeling fatigue. SQ wise, I think both K3003 and TOGO334 are on par, if not better, than those flagship customs like JH13, ES5, UE18. Honestly, I think the JH is still too analytical for everyday music listening.
Universals nowadays are amazing, easily comparable to high-end customs.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Anyone try the tralucents? are they on par with the 334 and k3003?

Yes, in fact I did write a detailed response on the 1P2 thread. I really think they deserve another listen because the cables were rubbish and they haven't been fully burned-in. I only disliked how the mids were lacking IMO compared to the bass and treble, and apparently after being burned-in a bit more, the mids are more forwards so maybe I will potentially like them or maybe LOVE them. The bass is REALLY impressive.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 15
Best is a loaded term. Do you mean accurate or colored to your particular preference? If you mean accurate then I have to agree with Jim.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 15
Yes, in fact I did write a detailed response on the 1P2 thread. I really think they deserve another listen because the cables were rubbish and they haven't been fully burned-in. I only disliked how the mids were lacking IMO compared to the bass and treble, and apparently after being burned-in a bit more, the mids are more forwards so maybe I will potentially like them or maybe LOVE them. The bass is REALLY impressive.

Could you direct me to the thread where you wrote the comparison?

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back