Best unamped K 701, HD 600/650, Denon AH-D2000, ...?
Nov 25, 2008 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

de Baron

New Head-Fier
Good day,

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I currently own a pair of HD 595's wich I use for portable and home use. I will probably buy a pair of ECH's for portable use in the future. The HD 595 is quite good for games and movies but I don't like them for music. They just sound too muffled, muddy and uninspiring. I'm looking for a more clean, detailed, neutral and refined sound with a good soundstage.

The problem is that most of the time I'm forced to use a laptop to listen music. I'm also regularly dealing with some background noise. The HD 595 isn't quite good in noise blocking. When I don't use a laptop I use a Marantz receiver to power the HD 595. I don't have a headphone amp. The HD 595 is easy to drive but how well will for example a AKG k 701 do in comparison?

I don't think the HD 600/650 are my taste. They're are to laid-back and coloured for me. But they do sound different than the HD 595 so maybe they will do. The sound of the k 701 will suit me better. I also like the look and quality feel. How do the AH-D2000 compare to these three?

Wich headphone is best in my situation? Should I keep the HD 595 because without amp there will be no improvement? Am I forced to buy an amp when I buy a k 701 or hd 600/650? Thanks in advance.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 15
I' d go for the d2000 as well.

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by de Baron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good day,

The HD 595 is quite good for games and movies but I don't like them for music. They just sound too muffled, muddy and uninspiring. I'm looking for a more clean, detailed, neutral and refined sound with a good soundstage.

The problem is that most of the time I'm forced to use a laptop to listen music. I'm also regularly dealing with some background noise. Thanks in advance.

1.You can try to amp your laptop with: Echo Indigo DJ Soundcard. Dual Stereo 24/96 PCMCIA Output Card. Or the AUDIO KONTROL 1... USB Soundcard.

2.If you want the, clean, detailed, neutral and refined sound with a good soundstage. Well you know, go K702/1...
k701smile.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon is the only one in that list that will work un-amped.

x4

Out of those mentioned in the original post, the D2000 is the easiest to drive and stands the best chance without an amp of sounding acceptable to the OP. However, the D2000 reportedly is not good at blocking external sounds, and I suspect the OP would not find the performance of the D2000 acceptable without an amp. But then again, maybe he would.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x4

Out of those mentioned in the original post, the D2000 is the easiest to drive and stands the best chance without an amp of sounding acceptable to the OP. However, the D2000 reportedly is not good at blocking external sounds, and I suspect the OP would not find the performance of the D2000 acceptable without an amp. But then again, maybe he would.

It would be important to know how loud is the background noise he is exposed to, I think that the d2000 should be enough to cover most of a computer fan level noise with the music played at moderate volume.

How would you compare the m50 to the d2000 without amp ?

I only have the d7000 that I use with the hd53r but to me, just plugged to my cd player and without amp, they already sound quite good.

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be important to know how loud is the background noise he is exposed to, I think that the d2000 should be enough to cover most of a computer fan level noise with the music played at moderate volume.

A computer fan does not seem to be the OP's concern with background noise. According to the original post, the noise was associated with the use of a laptop, which more likely indicates noise associated with portable use.

Quote:

How would you compare the m50 to the d2000 without amp ?

I haven't used either, so I make do from reading.

Quote:

I only have the d7000 that I use with the hd53r but to me, just plugged to my cd player and without amp, they already sound quite good.

The OP complained of muffled sound from the HD595 which also is easy to drive. And the OP is wanting a "clean, detailed, neutral and refined sound with a good soundstage". FWIR, I question the D2000's ability to pull that off without an amp to the OP's satisfaction. But again, maybe an unamped D2000 would satisfy the OP.

Edit: deleted.

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Thank you all for your replies.

When I listen to music there are sometimes people in the room that watch TV, that's what I ment with "background noise". But it isn't really an issue and it will change in the near future. I think I have to consider an amp after all. Are there any good usb/firewire or expresscard soundcards with an integrated headphone amp that will do the trick? Remains the question wich headphone has the most refined, detailed, neutral and inspiring sound when amped.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 15
The denons won't sound muffled without amp but "clean, detailed, neutral and refined sound with a good soundstage" sounds closer to the k701 if you don't mind getting an appropriate amp and can fix your background noise problem
smily_headphones1.gif

Although I did find them uninspiring but that is more a matter of taste i think.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by de Baron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all for your replies.

When I listen to music there are sometimes people in the room that watch TV, that's what I ment with "background noise". But it isn't really an issue and it will change in the near future. I think I have to consider an amp after all. Are there any good usb/firewire or expresscard soundcards with an integrated headphone amp that will do the trick? Remains the question wich headphone has the most refined, detailed, neutral and inspiring sound when amped.

You're welcome. What is your total budget for the headphones and the rest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back