Best unamped Grado?
Mar 7, 2007 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Brohken

100+ Head-Fier
I had the SR60. Loved the sound, but unfortunately ended up selling to try a Senns 555. I have just sold the 555 and am looking to go back to Grado. And judging from some of my reading I think the MS1 will be the best choice for me unamped.
  1. My question is how different is the MS1 when compared to the SR60 soundwise? Would you grado-owners say it's overall better?
  2. I have heard great reviews for the MS1. From my understanding the MS1 is a SR60 but modified- what are the changes that have been made?
  3. Is the connector still 1/8"?
  4. Can it still benefit from an amp? I'd like to eventually get one down the line.
  5. Some say the MS1 sounds like the SR125? I've never heard the 125 but maybe you can provide more details.
  6. Lastly, where should I purchase this from? I would like it brand new and I guess I can get it from Alessandro's website, but have heard some horror stories on shipping. I don't need these today by any means, but next week wouldn't hurt.

I'm ready to hurt my wallet, can you guys help me along?
biggrin.gif
If there is another Grado that would do the job better at around the same price, let me know.

My music taste is: Rap, Ambient, Classical in that order.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 12
A few answers:

-I've never heard an SR60, but I've put my MS1s against a pair of SR80s. Now, this was in now way a standardized test situation, with different sources being used, but I got the impression that the 80s were harsher with certain mp3s that I was very used to hearing on the MS1s.
-You can choose your connector size - 1/8 is indeed an option.
-My MS1s do rather benefit from my amp. But, as hours of listening from a pure mp3 player (iriver h320) signal will attest to, they don't need them.
-I got them from the Alessandro site. It took a while to ship, but everything else was smooth about the transaction.

I would just like to comment on the suitability to your music tastes. I certainly agree with the much-stated belief that Grados/Alessandros are quintessential rock headphones. On the other hand, I've been listening to an exceptional deal of triphop and electro-stuff lately...and the MS1s certainly help in enjoying the music. I mean, I'm sure there're 'phones that do that kind of music better - but until you hear them, you won't miss them...and with the MS1s, I gather, maybe even not then.

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by configure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few answers:

-I've never heard an SR60, but I've put my MS1s against a pair of SR80s. Now, this was in now way a standardized test situation, with different sources being used, but I got the impression that the 80s were harsher with certain mp3s that I was very used to hearing on the MS1s.
-You can choose your connector size - 1/8 is indeed an option.
-My MS1s do rather benefit from my amp. But, as hours of listening from a pure mp3 player (iriver h320) signal will attest to, they don't need them.
-I got them from the Alessandro site. It took a while to ship, but everything else was smooth about the transaction.

I would just like to comment on the suitability to your music tastes. I certainly agree with the much-stated belief that Grados/Alessandros are quintessential rock headphones. On the other hand, I've been listening to an exceptional deal of triphop and electro-stuff lately...and the MS1s certainly help in enjoying the music. I mean, I'm sure there're 'phones that do that kind of music better - but until you hear them, you won't miss them...and with the MS1s, I gather, maybe even not then.

thanks for the answers. I have heard that Grados are good for mainly rock. Part of the reason I went and purchased the Senns was because they were supposed to be better for my music tastes, but I ended up not liking them at all. The grados where very warm and did classical very well IMO.

While the HD555 where supposed to give me a wider range I did not feel this was the case at all. The music was just "quieter" in all instances.

Just to reiterate... the phones come stock with a 1/8" connector and a 1/4" adapter... or is it the other way around?

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 12
I find that my MS-1s and MS2i do a great job with most kinds of music other than the biggest forms of classical.

For big classical and especially pipe organ music, I have the HD600s and couldn't be happier with the combination of MS2i for mostly rock and HD600 for mostly classical when using an amp. Yeah; the Senns really like an amp. But for rock and for classical in the form of more intimate chamber music types and string quartets and the like, the MS-1s really do a fine job!!

The choice is yours on connector size. Just order what you like!! I found that getting the 1/8" size worked best for me since I normally use my MS-1s unamped and all my unamped sources use 1/8"

Convenient!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 12
I didn't own the SR-60 and the MS-1 at the same time, but I do remember liking the SR-60 more (barely). The MS-1 was a little more refined, the treble sparkled a little more, and the bass was a tad cleaner. The SR-60s were just more.... fun. I don't know how else to put it. If you've heard Koss phones, I would say the KSC75 is a baby MS-1 and the KSC35 is a baby SR-60.

And regarding Allesandro shipping, I think it just depends on what he has in stock. When I ordered my MS-1s I got them 3 days later.

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 12
thanks for the replies

any other thoughts.. particularly on how well my music taste should mesh with the MS1's would be appreciated

Rap

Classical

Ambient

Mar 8, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My music taste is: Rap, Ambient, Classical in that order.

Dood, seriously, dont buy a Grado for those music.

But wait...You didnt like the HD555?? you might be OK with another grado then. I strongly sugest you try them before you get them because youmight just be very disapointed.

If all this hasnt convinced you of NOT getting the higher end grados, then check the FS frum because I have one there
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dood, seriously, dont buy a Grado for those music.

Yea all I hear is from other people how bad Grado is for my particular music taste. I know everyone's ears are different, but it still sucks.
blink.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #9 of 12
hey, you did have an SR-60, why did you sell it? 'cause ppl told you: "grado sucks for classical/hip-hop etc; get a sennheiser!" isn't it?

well, you did get the HD555 and you didn't like the senn sound... so you remembered the SR-60 and wanted to return to that sound, not?

so just do it man... don't let a bunch of "you shouldn't listen to classical on grados because Head-Fi said so"-whinos (no insult intended
tongue.gif
) bring doubt to your mind... you now know the grado and senn sound and you have already stated your preference. It doesn't matter what others believe sounds better on what phone, you have first-hand experience and shouldn't trust anything else: once you buy them, YOU have to listen to them!

If you want a bit more feeling of security: the alessandro rendering of grado is said to be a bit more jack-of-all-trades because it tempers the highs a bit compared to full bred grados... so yes the MS1 would seem like a logical choice (between the Senn and grado sound but quite a bit closer to the grado-side)

Mar 8, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey, you did have an SR-60, why did you sell it? 'cause ppl told you: "grado sucks for classical/hip-hop etc; get a sennheiser!" isn't it?

well, you did get the HD555 and you didn't like the senn sound... so you remembered the SR-60 and wanted to return to that sound, not?

so just do it man... don't let a bunch of "you shouldn't listen to classical on grados because Head-Fi said so"-whinos (no insult intended
tongue.gif
) bring doubt to your mind... you now know the grado and senn sound and you have already stated your preference. It doesn't matter what others believe sounds better on what phone, you have first-hand experience and shouldn't trust anything else: once you buy them, YOU have to listen to them!

If you want a bit more feeling of security: the alessandro rendering of grado is said to be a bit more jack-of-all-trades because it tempers the highs a bit compared to full bred grados... so yes the MS1 would seem like a logical choice (between the Senn and grado sound but quite a bit closer to the grado-side)

The reason it bothers me is because im 99.9% sure that the way these headphones sound is mostly what you think about them.

I heard 2 different headphones before I knew anything about Grados a long time ago. The SR60 and the SR80. I liked the SR60 more.

Then I found out the SR80s cost more and they started sounding better to me.

Mar 8, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 12
if you are going to let things like cost etc influence your hearing, just give up now, go for the RS-1 or GS1000 (ignoring K1000 etc.) and get it over with... there will always be a 'better' (aka more expensive) headphone and you will always be unhappy unless you have the certified top of the line

first rules of auditive nirvana is to learn to trust your ears and be happy with what you've got.

You can learn from others, but you shouldn't let yourself be influenced by them. If the SR-80 sounded better than the SR-60's only after you learned about its price... you haven't been listening to either IMHO

buy what you like and learn to convince others!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back