Best "ultimate" headphones for rock/heavy metal
Aug 2, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by corentin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there.

I am ready to take the plunge for a so called "ultimate" piece of headphones : Senn HD800, Denon D7000, Grado GS/PS1000, AKG K701...
Unfortunately, in my region, there ain't no possibility to listen to any of these.

So, I am turning to my fellow Headfiers for advice. In your opinion, which is the best when it comes to hard rock/heavy metal music? I agon be running these cans through a Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard famed for its very musical DACs and dedicated headphone output.
I might as well add that I will not be modifying this setup, so no external amps and/or DACs hoeer better this solution might be. Therefore, your choice has to factor this in.
Also, I don't like sound when it's overly harsh or bright.

Thanks in advance for your input
darthsmile.gif

I think the 'best' will be way too revealing for those genres. It would be best to go with something fun but not too detailed.

The recommendations for RS1s sound good.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #17 of 47
Grados are known for their ability to play rock like no other, and since the PS1000's are the flagship model, I would have to go with them. Also, they are 32 ohms, and have a relatively high sensitivity, so while an amp isn't necessary, it is recommended to get the most out of them.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #18 of 47
For hard rock/heavy metal music listening you can't go wrong w/ a pair of Sennheiser HD 485's[trust me I listen to quite a bit of rock on em.....from Deep Purple to Metallica and everything in between].

Aug 2, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For hard rock/heavy metal music listening you can't go wrong w/ a pair of Sennheiser HD 485's[trust me I listen to quite a bit of rock on em.....from Deep Purple to Metallica and everything in between].

I like my HD485 pretty well, but my SR225i destroy them for rock.

EDIT: So, I will add to the recommendations of a Grado phone- The PS1000 or RS-1. Search for reviews and see which one sounds better to you.

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the 'best' will be way too revealing for those genres. It would be best to go with something fun but not too detailed.

The recommendations for RS1s sound good.

Many metal albums might be the most meticulously engineered albums of all time. It's wrong to say they don't deserve detailed-sounding equipment.

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DistortingJack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many metal albums might be the most meticulously engineered albums of all time. It's wrong to say they don't deserve detailed-sounding equipment.

Is it worth possibly making a good chunk of his collection almost unbearable?

In any case, since he has the IEMs, I'm sure getting something revealing will be fine. I made my original comment under the assumption that he would have only one pair.

Aug 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #24 of 47
Another vote for RS-1. Particularly if you like guitars oriented material. Having heard the HD-800 I think they are far from rock/heavy kings.

PS-1000 could be the ticket but not enough reviews to conclude anything. Just wait for more head-fiers get theirs PS-1000. There could be some alternative to grados: AT L3000 and Ultrasone Edition 8/9 comes to mind.

That thread should have been posted in the high end forum.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #25 of 47
Just to jump on the bandwagon, if you like metal, you need the RS-1. I have a slightly older RS-1 (not the new RS-1i), and it makes guitars sound unbelievably good. You can research amps later, but the RS-1 is your best choice.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 47
My favorite for rock and metal are the HP-2 followed by the L3000, followed by the PS-1. I haven't heard the PS-1000 yet.

Aug 2, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by DistortingJack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes thank you, Any genre will have it's cheap/harsh recordings and it's perfection of production. Doesn't matter What your listening too.

Certain types of metal however are known for or are in the tradition of making poor recordings, this is intentional and doesn't represent the whole genre.

Aug 3, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #28 of 47
Particularly direct out of a soundcard's output, I vote for the RS-1 as well.

Edit: Unless you can track down a pair of PS-1's. In which case I would vote for them. I haven't heard the PS-1000's myself, but head-fi'ers whose oppinions I trust have informed me they don't compare to the old PS-1's, and so I would not advocate them without being able to hear a pair first.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #29 of 47
I will be waiting for more feedback on the PS1000 then as it seems it might be the ticket to go :wink:.
Again, thank you all for all the informative posts.

The only gripe I have is their price : where I live, they are priced almost twice as much as a pair of HD800...Oh, well, it is I who put it in my short list in the first place :p

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #30 of 47
You should hope that the PS-1000 is the "one" for rock/metal. PS-1 and L3000 aren't easy to come by and very expensive. Just too much in my book, US 1.7k$ is a thing, US 3-4k$ is another thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back