Best tubes for those using MPX3-6CG7?
Mar 4, 2006 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BrianS

500+ Head-Fier
What are your favorites? right now i am using 3 RCA cleartops and the first one(gain tube?) is slightly black around it.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 4
The RCA clear tops are my personal favorite 6cg7's. The black spot on the side is normal and you see this on most of the RCA 6cg7's. Besides the RCA ..... the Tung Sol 6cg7, Raytheon black plate 6cg7 and GE 6cg7's are very good tubes. The Sylvania 6cg7 has a couple versions and some sound warmer and I like them. However, some versions can sound very neutral and almost thin. I dont like those. The better sounding Sylvania have large gray plates .... but I dont have any sure fire way to describe to you how to distinguish them.

All the 6cg7's are generally good sounding so its a matter of trying a few and deciding whats best for your setup. Even the new production Ei 6cg7 is a good sounding tube.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The RCA clear tops are my personal favorite 6cg7's. The black spot on the side is normal and you see this on most of the RCA 6cg7's. Besides the RCA ..... the Tung Sol 6cg7, Raytheon black plate 6cg7 and GE 6cg7's are very good tubes. The Sylvania 6cg7 has a couple versions and some sound warmer and I like them. However, some versions can sound very neutral and almost thin. I dont like those. The better sounding Sylvania have large gray plates .... but I dont have any sure fire way to describe to you how to distinguish them.

All the 6cg7's are generally good sounding so its a matter of trying a few and deciding whats best for your setup. Even the new production Ei 6cg7 is a good sounding tube.
smily_headphones1.gif

What are these tubes going for on the market now? I may have to dig through my boxes and see what I have if it is worth it. Have you noted any difference in sound between the commercial tubes and JAN versions of the same tube.

Mar 4, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
What are these tubes going for on the market now? I may have to dig through my boxes and see what I have if it is worth it. Have you noted any difference in sound between the commercial tubes and JAN versions of the same tube.

Prices are all over the place but at the bigger tube sellers the standard 6cg7's go for $11-12 per tube .... with the premium RCA clear top 6cg7's running around $20-25 each. The RCA black plates can run slightly higher at $22-30; if there are even any available. TS 6cg7 and Raytheon black plate USA 6cg7 tubes are tough to find regardless of price. The RCA black plate 6cg7's can be tough to find as well.

I hear little or no difference between JAN and standard issue 6cg7's. But I do feel the older 6cg7's are marginally better sounding than the later production 6cg7 tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back