Best Tubes for K701
Nov 17, 2008 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

myinitialsaredac

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello all,
I am having a Millet Max built with blackgates and vitqs (basically the dont miss boutique build #1 on the site) and was wondering what tubes would be the best for the 701s.

Thanks

Dave

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 22
Thanks for the info, I'm excited to take my first listen.

Hopefully a revelation over the micro....
tongue.gif

Dave

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 22
Never heard my millet max as it is in new york.
Jacob over at soloz audio is, he did my 701s and the IC for the max also. Nice guy, if only the weather would hold up.
I've never heard a hybrid amp before but Im assuming its got the warm tube sound with maybe the cleanliness of solid states? Its a #1 max so I'm hoping it will be what I'm looking for as an end all kind of deal, spent almost a hundred e-mails discussing it with Jacob, poor guy
tongue.gif

Dave

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 22
The 12AE6 give the 701s a much needed little kick in the bottom end. 701s are very good but don't seem to be a bass monster. with the ae6s there is a little more meat down on the bottom. I tmay not be completely accurate but is more enjoyable that way.

Another nice way to go is 12FK6 with FM caps in boutique spots. This gives a great bottom end and a lot of detail.

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 22
I was hoping they would get some bass slam. Definately not bassy cans, not in the least but I enjoy them.
Whats your opinion of the blackgate/vit q combo, I was under the impression that would give it some texture, warmth, and tonality.

Dave

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 22
I have been listening to that combo on the MiniMAX for a week and a half (still burning in and changing). It does give all the midrange clarity and warmth that tubes are known for, and a very nicely layered top end. I like it better than any other cobo I have tried, but the FM is a close second.
What transisotrs will you be using?

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #11 of 22
Good Question!,
EDIT, says typical diamond buffer transistors?

CA2: Black Gate NX, 1000uf 25V
CA7: Black Gate NX, 680uf 35V
CA8: Vitamin Q's, 0.22uf 100V
CA9: blank (Wimas elsewhere)
2SC2238/2SA968 BJT Diamond Buffer
If that makes sense to you
confused.gif

Dave

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... so I'm hoping it will be what I'm looking for as an end all kind of deal,

Your last tube amp?
I doubt it.
Tubes, for me at least, can be highly addictive
atsmile.gif

I think you will love the 968/2238 combo also. The best IMO.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your last tube amp?
I doubt it.
Tubes, for me at least, can be highly addictive
atsmile.gif

You have a strong point
tongue_smile.gif

Glad the transistor combo is approved, I honestly don't know what half of this stuff is exactly, but I decided you cant go wrong when something says its the #1 cant miss build
tongue.gif
Good to have some reassurance
biggrin.gif

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back