Best tubed headphone amps?
Aug 19, 2001 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TrNSZ

New Head-Fier
I've really stuck trying to decide what kind of headphone amp I want to buy when I purchase my Sennheiser HD-600's. I definately want to go with tubes. Just call it an obession. =)

FYI, this is going to replace my "crappy" Sony MDR-V700's and Headroom AirHead. It's a real toss-up at this point, but I'm seriously considering two different models. I'm set on the HD-600's though, they sound great and are extremely comfortable.

My first consideration for the amp is the Wheatfield Audio HA-2 with good American or UK NOS tubes, probably 5692 on the input and 7236 on the output. My second consideration would be the EarMax with US/UK NOS ECC88 or ECC86 tubes. I've heard the Mullard 8162 suggested. I could use some suggestions here, as I'm not really famaliar with these tubes or the amp itself.

Also, my reliable old modified Philips CD Player looks to be nearing the end of it's life, and I'm considering upgrading to Jolida JD-603A which uses dual 12AX7A's on the output. I'd also be using the amps with a Philips EXP103 MP3 portable unit (at home on wall power, of course).

I'm new to this forum, so please don't beat me up too badly. I also listen to an extremely wide range of music, everything from classical to death metal, so everyone's suggestions are welcome. I guess I can't go wrong, because whatever I decide on will be better than my current setup for sure. =)

Aug 19, 2001 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 14
Also, in case anyone was wondering, the specs on the JD-603A are available at the http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/jd603.html website. First thing I'd do here is stick some NOS RCA or Philips tubes in there if it comes with Chinese/Russian ones.

I've also been suggested the MF X-Cans V2, but been told I should have an upgraded power supply and NOS Siemens, Mullard or Philips tubes, but I wasn't even thinking about this one before and I'm afraid it's not up to par with what I've got in mind.

Please give this newbie all your suggestions!

Aug 19, 2001 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 14
Since I haven't actually heard any of these tube amps, I'll leave the recommendations to the other Head-fizers. But two more items you might want to consider are the MicroZotl headamp and the Norh CD-1, anothe tube-based cdp.

The X-Cans, while being good for the price, won't compete w/ the other headamps mentioned, in that you're correct.

Aug 19, 2001 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 14
Well, I'll chime in on the MG Head DT / Senn HD600 combo... I love it. With good NOS tubes, this combo really sings. I can only imagine how some of the higher end/priced tube rigs sound. I definately recommend auditioning the MG Head with the Senns and then determining if you're getting sufficient bang for the buck going above and beyond. And BTW, the "right" tubes make all the difference. Last night I threw in the stock 12AX7 in place of my Sylvania GB5751, and wow, what difference...

Now, my source CDP is not tubed, and FWIW, I did listen to that Jolida tube player. It was in a Grado RS-2 / AMC integrated amp setup and sounded terrible. I would suspect the AMC int amp to be more the culprit and perhaps the fact that I'm not a "Grado guy", but the brightness was unbearable. I couldn't even stand 5 minutes of some of my favorite music.

Have fun! That's what its all about....

Aug 19, 2001 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the heads-up about the Jolida player. I happen to agree with you that it probably wasn't purely the players fault, and it's unfortunate that you didn't get to listen to it without the amplifier.

I've seen tubed CDP's that come above the $4000 mark, such as Balanced Audio Technology VK-D5 and similar units, but at the same time I want to avoid having to open up and desolder/resolder caps, diodes, opamps, and resistors to get any decent sound out of the cheaper players! I also know of the Metronome Technologie CD2-V Signature tube CDP but I have no idea about the price tag. Other than the Jolida (and the nOrh CD-1) has anyone actually heard any of the other sub-$800 tubed CDP's? Unfortunately, I don't know of anywhere to audition these CDP units locally. Has anyone heard the nOrh?

As far as the amplifiers go, I wasn't considering the MG Head DT because I'm giving myself a larger budget, but I'll definately check it out. I'd still love to see feedback on the HA-2 with 5692/7236 tubes and the EarMax + good tubes from you audiophile nuts out there.

I'm really liking the HA-2 though, the more I think and read about it! I remember that the last time I bought a new decent piece of audio equipment was over a decade ago. Since I know I'm going to get at least that much use out of it I figure I can't afford not to go to the high-end.

Aug 19, 2001 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 14
I would look at the Tjoeb or nOrh tube cd players. There is a local audio shop that carried Jolida in the past, but stopped doing so because of quality issues.
My system is close to the one you want (tube cd + tube amp+HD600). I have the nOrh and its awesome. From what I have read in the past, the MG Head and MicroZotl seem to garner the most praise.
http://www.norh.com/products/cd1/

Aug 19, 2001 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 14
I found that the regular Earmax clipped slightly trying to drive the HD600s, so I had to upgrade to the Pro. The Pro on the other hand couldn't drive an ER4S I was playing with so i sold it and just got a MicroZOTL.

Depending on what you want from an amp, the ZOTL might be for you. Very even, accurate tone (not so tubey), with lots of control and finesse. Great piece.

markl

Aug 19, 2001 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 14
I also own the MicroZotl and it is quite a good tube amp. It's an ugly beast though so beware of the "wife factor." I use Grado headphones though and not the Senns. I'm currently using 1956 RCA 6SN7GTB tubes and Telefunken 12AT7 tubes. Listening to Patricia Barber's "A Distortion of Love" right now and it sounds pretty good to me. It has a nice warm tube sound and yet is very clear and detailed. It also comes with a detachable power cord for more tweaking. I'm currently using the GTT Audio Absolute Power Cord.

Aug 20, 2001 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

It's an ugly beast though so beware of the "wife factor."

My ZOTL is brown which I think helps a lot in the wife factor department. On the otherhand, it doesn't match my blue Clou cable like the original would have. Oh yes, and it sounds great.

Aug 22, 2001 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 14
Oh? Mr. Berning finally ships MicroZOTL in different colors. I almost ordered one when it just came out but really hate the only available blue color which has no place in living/bedroom. He wouldn't switch to other colors until all first 500 BLue sold. At the time he only sold 4 or 5 units so I lost my patience and went for RKV which turns out to be a better outcome.

Aug 22, 2001 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 14
Hehe, I must be the only one to not mind the original blue MicroZotl color...
redface.gif

Aug 22, 2001 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for the many suggestions, I'm going to have some additional fun doing research on this... Just letting you all know that I'm still reading the thread and listening carefully.

Aug 23, 2001 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 14
I'd say X-Can V2 with X-PSU and good NOS tubes is up there with the better (Earmax etc.) tube based amps. The price also gets there at around $600 total. Perhaps a few more bucks for at least a hospital grade power cord on the PSU will make it even better.
This is something I like about X-Can V2. It provides an upgrade path. As it is sold its already a good amp and a good value. adding an X-PSU brings a nice sound improvement.Also, tube rolling is reported by many to do miracles withe can.
Fro there on, experimenting with power cords may make it sound even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back