best tube for the Stax SRM T1??
May 25, 2006 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Stax-i-nox

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, new here to Head-HiFi...glad I found it!...........question for any of the vintage Stax folks out there...I have a 1987 B series SRM T1 that has the same tubes in it since it was built!...still works fine, but am wondering to if a tube roll would be in order.........the original's are a pair of GE's........can anyone recommend the best sounding tube for the T1? Also, do I have to worry about biasing them if I change them out...I don't have any equiptment for that btw.

Also, have been reading the forums here about the SRM-1 MKII and how the older C series is better...after I read that, I ran and unpacked mine...alas, it's a B series...I did try the 220V change, as I had a 500W transformer I had left over from living in Europe...and it did help the sound!...I am using a 87' vintage Lambda Signature Pro and an Omega I headset. Is there someone out there that can do a mod for the SRM-1? I also tried the 220V on the SRM T1, and it seemed to help the sound on that as well?

Am a Stax nut as you can tell...as I also have a pair of Gamma Pro's and Sigma Pro's....question...my Gamma Pro's head set broke, it's the thing that holds the earspeaker, it just cracked...anyone know of where to get a replacement? Also, any SIGMA PRO owners out there....why is the sound on my SIGMA PRO not near as clear sounding as the Signature or even the Omega?...I know the Omega was the top of the line at that time as were the Signatures. When I play the Sigma's , they have a very veiled sound, the highs are just not the same compared to the Sig's and the Omega I.

Anyway, glad to be here and look forward to more reading etc. and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Stax-i-nox
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 42
The T1 uses 6CG7 tubes. You should probably pick tubes that makes up for the T1s deficiencies in clarity and inner detail, but I wouldn't be able to point you in the right direction, as I don't like 6CG7s.

If you bought your Gamma from the American distributer, you can contact the current distributer and he'll replace it for you.

There is quite a bit of discussion about the Sigmas here, including some tips on improving their sound.

May 25, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 42
Thanks for the info etc........The Omega's are the originals. Will do some searching about improving the Sigma's. I checked the American distributor for the Gamma headset...they said it was no longer available
frown.gif

Stax-i-nox

May 25, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 42
Sorry to go off topic, but - do you happen to have the Omega IIs as well? If so, how do they compare to the Omega Is?

Thanks!
(It's not everyday we see an OI owner around here! Seize the oppurtunity!)

May 25, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stax-i-nox
Thanks for the info etc........The Omega's are the originals. Will do some searching about improving the Sigma's. I checked the American distributor for the Gamma headset...they said it was no longer available
frown.gif

Stax-i-nox

I guess the only option left would be to find a super cheap (possibly no longer functioning) Gamma off ebay, and pillage it's headband. The low bias versions of it often go for under $100. Not exactly cheap, but it'll keep your Gamma Pros operational for another while.

Failing that, duct tape maybe?

May 25, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 42
I tried the duct tape route already..lol...did not work...good idea about canabalizing a normal gamma set..will keep an eye out.

Akwok, sorry, I don't have a pair of the Omega II's...and have never heard them, so not even a subjective take on them...
frown.gif

Stax-i-nox

May 25, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 42
As an aside, have you considered getting a better electrostatic amp? It's a bit of a shame to have a bunch of the better sounding headphones ever made, and proceed to use them through an amp that doesn't do them justice.

May 25, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
As an aside, have you considered getting a better electrostatic amp? It's a bit of a shame to have a bunch of the better sounding headphones ever made, and proceed to use them through an amp that doesn't do them justice.

I thought the T1 was one of the best ES amps for Stax? Wasn't the Blue Hawaii based on it?

May 25, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 42
Well, to be honest, I have not been looking for one and have never thought about it......what would be your suggestion as an improvement over the '87 T1 and the SRM-1 MKII? ...they are both B series.

Another factor...being that the Omega I and the Signature Lambda Pro were made back in the 80's, and the amps I have were designed with those 2 sets in mind, would it not be better sound wise to stick with them?

Thanks

Stax-i-nox

May 25, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I thought the T1 was one of the best ES amps for Stax? Wasn't the Blue Hawaii based on it?

No, that was the mighty, 480,000 yen SRM-T2. The T1 is basically the same as the 006t.

Quote:

Well, to be honest, I have not been looking for one and have never thought about it......what would be your suggestion as an improvement over the '87 T1 and the SRM-1 MKII? ...they are both B series.

Another factor...being that the Omega I and the Signature Lambda Pro were made back in the 80's, and the amps I have were designed with those 2 sets in mind, would it not be better sound wise to stick with them?

Thanks

Stax-i-nox

I'd recommend not getting one of Stax's amps, and getting one of the electrostatic amps made by small audio manufacturers. The EA-1, KGSS, and Egmont for example.

May 25, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

No, that was the mighty, 480,000 yen SRM-T2. The T1 is basically the same as the 006t.

I'd recommend not getting one of Stax's amps, and getting one of the electrostatic amps made by small audio manufacturers. The EA-1, KGSS, and Egmont for example.

Ooops! Sorry Carl, my bad.

Wow.. Hmm.

May I suggest the Singlepower ES-1, and the Headamp Aristaeus, too?
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 42
Carl, thanks for that info....I had no idea that there were even special amps to work with the Stax headphones. I think you are going to wreak havoc on my pocketbook!
lambda.gif
Of those three you mentioned, which one has the best sound?

May 25, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Carl, thanks for that info....I had no idea that there were even special amps to work with the Stax headphones. I think you are going to wreak havoc on my pocketbook!
lambda.gif

I think Singlepower can tweak the amplifier to get the maximum performance out of your Omega I's..

May 25, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Carl, thanks for that info....I had no idea that there were even special amps to work with the Stax headphones.

Oh yes. Heck, I just bought one of these.

Quote:

I think you are going to wreak havoc on my pocketbook!
lambda.gif

Oh, how forgetful of me.

"Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet"

Quote:

There aren't many people who have directly compared the lot of them, so it's hard to say.

What sort of "sound" are you after?

Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I think Singlepower can tweak the amplifier to get the maximum performance out of your Omega I's..

Now now, Akwok. There's plenty of time to get him to buy $4000 amplifiers. No need to rush.
tongue.gif

May 25, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Now now, Akwok. There's plenty of time to get him to buy $4000 amplifiers. No need to rush.
tongue.gif

$4k base.. and you can't buy base.. max it out! $10k only!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back