Best tips for the RE0
Dec 22, 2009 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Demonic_Pope

Head-Fier
The stock bi-flange tips don't really fit my ears. The medium-sized single-flange tips fit my right ear, but doesn't really do it for my left. There isn't that satisfying pressurized 'pop' sound when I pull it out of my left ear. I think the tip is just SLIGHTLY smaller than my left ear canal.

So which tips should I go for? I don't want expensive tips at the moment, and I heard that these fake Sony Hybrids are really good. Do they fit the RE0 and are they a good match? Also, which size should I go for? I'm hoping the medium size will be a bit larger than the stock medium.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 28
I mean, whenever you pull the earpiece out, there should be this low pressure feeling in your ear, and right at the moment when the piece comes out of your ear there should be a kind of 'pop' sound. This indicates a good seal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonic_Pope /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So which tips should I go for? I don't want expensive tips at the moment, and I heard that these fake Sony Hybrids are really good. Do they fit the RE0 and are they a good match? Also, which size should I go for? I'm hoping the medium size will be a bit larger than the stock medium.

I haven't tried the fake ones, but the real Sony Hybrid tips do fit, and are the best ones that I have used on my RE0s. They are more comfortable than the stock tips, and, to me, sound better than the Comply foam tips.

If the fake ones are sized like the real Sonys, they are actually smaller than the stock tips. I'm using the extra large ones. The smallest ones seem small enough for my cat
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 28
I use decored Shure olive foam tips with comply t-400 stems glued to them. They are very comfortable and I notice a bit more bass presence which the RE0 needs, I think. The Shure E2C black softflex sleeves are a good fit. They are not as comfortable as the foam tips.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 28
glad someone else made this thread, was thinking about it myself.

so in other words, the RE0's can fit alot of other sleeves?

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 28
that pop that you get is from iems that require it going deeper into your ear than the RE0. That is not the case for RE0 so you dont get that pop

x2 on the olives..i dont put the comply stems in the olive since they fit fine without falling out on the RE0 for me.

Dec 22, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 28
It can fit sleeves from other iems only if the other iems have similar sized nozzles or it will have to be modified like the olive foam tips.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #10 of 28
I like the stock tips, both the single and double flange. I do get a pop from a properly sealed tip (at least with the silicone tips, not with any foams).

Sony hybrids work OK but I thought not as well as the stock tips.

De-cored Shure Olives are best for sound isolation. You can use non-de-cored Shures with the right tools (very tight), but they give more of a Comply sound, which isn't good for the RE0's. The difference is that the de-cored tip fits further back on the earphone, bringing the nozzle closer to the end of the tip. I do have some problems with the de-cored Shures remaining in my ear, especially after extended listening (more than two hours). Others haven't. There's somewhere on here where I posed a solution (and a use for those Sony hybrids you don't use).

Complys don't work at all. And I generally like comply tips. They just muffle the sound.

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 28
I ordered the fake Sony hybrids and they are a tight fit on the RE0, but they do fit with a bit of persistence (you have to sort of "bend" them on from an angle). They give me the best seal and sound of all the tips I've tried (about 10 or so) on the RE0. I also have an older set of FAKE Shure E2c tips that fit looser and sound very good as well, but they sometimes come off in my ear when removing them. Maybe the real E2c tips would fit better.

I don't care for the multi-flange tips on the RE0. They go too far into my ear canal and take up air-space that the RE0 needs to generate sufficient bass to be satisfying. Most IEMs need some amount of air to move to generate the lower bass frequencies convincingly.

I've also tried the foamy tips (Shure olives and Comply) but my ear canals are smaller and the foam get scrunched up and mutes the sound for me.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by HazeIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how did you fit the shure olives on RE0? I bought a set of olives and by no means I couldn't make them fit.

Do you have a Leatherman multitool (it's like a swiss army knife with pliers) or a set of needlenose pliers? You have to stick the end of the pliers into the plastic core, and stretch the crap out of it. It stretches out a good bit, but it's still alot of work to get it to fit on the nozzle. I thought it was impossible, but I eventually got them on. The Leatherman actually worked better because I could fold it up halfway or so, and the pliers would stay stretched out without me having to hold them open myself. You can't just stretch them with one or two tugs, you have to keep stretching them until the core gets wider. Once you get them on, they're on really tight. Oh yeah, it's a feeling of total bliss too
biggrin.gif

Or you could just decore them. Take a pair of tweezers with thin and/or sharp ends, and carefully scrape the black foam off the core. When the core comes out almost almost completely clear, you did it right. The first ones I decored, I just ripped out the cores, and it took out way too much foam with it. They fit on the nozzle just fine without a core, but I think they sound and feel slightly better with a core. Decoring them is much easier, but aside from the labor involved, I like using stretched stock ones better.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 28
stretching them out sounds awfully time consuming..i just pushed the core out from the top down slowly carefully not having any of the foam stuck on the core. takes like less than a minute

Dec 23, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered the fake Sony hybrids and they are a tight fit on the RE0, but they do fit with a bit of persistence (you have to sort of "bend" them on from an angle). They give me the best seal and sound of all the tips I've tried (about 10 or so) on the RE0. I also have an older set of FAKE Shure E2c tips that fit looser and sound very good as well, but they sometimes come off in my ear when removing them. Maybe the real E2c tips would fit better.

I don't care for the multi-flange tips on the RE0. They go too far into my ear canal and take up air-space that the RE0 needs to generate sufficient bass to be satisfying. Most IEMs need some amount of air to move to generate the lower bass frequencies convincingly.

I've also tried the foamy tips (Shure olives and Comply) but my ear canals are smaller and the foam get scrunched up and mutes the sound for me.

Good to hear that! I ordered 9 pairs of the fake hybrids--6 medium sized, 1 small, and 2 large. It kinda worries me that the medium hybrid is actually smaller than the medium stock though.

Anyway how to I multiquote here? Clicking the multiquote button and then clicking post reply does nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back