Best thing-that-fits-in-your-ear for $300 (and a basic questions)
Aug 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

daviekatz

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

First, a questions about terminology. What's the difference between IEMs, earbuds, earphones, and canalphones?

I'm looking for the best sounding thing-that-fits-in-your-ear (I'll just refer to them as IEMs for simplicity) for $300. I listen to a diverse array of music, and want an IEM that sounds good with all styles. The best IEMs I have owned have been those that fit my ears really well (i.e., plugged them close to the eardrum without inching out as I went about my day). I am a smaller male with smaller ears, so this has to be factored in. Good IEMs, in my opinion, allow you to hear sounds in songs that you couldn't hear with just "ordinary" earbuds. I like a "normal" (not distorted) sound, with good bass and good treble. I don't like wearing IEMs around the back of my ears (I just like to have them "hang"). I also like a very large soundstage.

Any suggestions?

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 5
IEM = In Ear Monitors. They sit in the ear canal and is what you're looking for based on your description.
Earbuds sit on the of your ear, like the ones that come with most electronics such as ipod/iphone/smartphones.
I think the earphone and canalphone are synonyms for the 2 listed above.

Sound like you want something neutral. Maybe the westone 4. (another 80 or so to get the R version with the removable cables).

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

First, a questions about terminology. What's the difference between IEMs, earbuds, earphones, and canalphones?

I'm looking for the best sounding thing-that-fits-in-your-ear (I'll just refer to them as IEMs for simplicity) for $300. I listen to a diverse array of music, and want an IEM that sounds good with all styles. The best IEMs I have owned have been those that fit my ears really well (i.e., plugged them close to the eardrum without inching out as I went about my day). I am a smaller male with smaller ears, so this has to be factored in. Good IEMs, in my opinion, allow you to hear sounds in songs that you couldn't hear with just "ordinary" earbuds. I like a "normal" (not distorted) sound, with good bass and good treble. I don't like wearing IEMs around the back of my ears (I just like to have them "hang"). I also like a very large soundstage.

Any suggestions?

IEM is an acronym for in-ear monitor.  It's the type of headphone that goes deep inside the ear.  They tend to be used with a deep seal to get a proper fit. 

A canalphone is one that has tips like an IEM, usually silicone or foam (the same that come with IEMs), but rather sit shallowly. 

An earbud, or earphone, is one that doesn't use any form of tip and doesn't seal with your ear at all.  It sits completely outside your ear. 

Suggestions include (not in any specific order): ACS T15, Monster Gratitude, T-Peos H-200, Nocs NS-800, Denon AH-C400, Atomic Floyd SuperDart, or Phonak PFE1xx.  The final choice depends on the specific sound signature you want. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back