Best System Synergy For CHORD MOJO (and possibly Hugo) - AMP/SPEAKERS/HEADPHONES
Jul 14, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #106 of 126
sorry to 
  Great review, I need to have another listen to the A5x's

P.S I got rid of the JBL's in the end, they just did not work for me long term in a near field setting, very fatiguing with long listening sessions...

Thanks.

Sorry to hear about the JBL's. Yeah, give the Adams a go. Very smooth, uncoloured sound, yet dynamic. Hard to fault indeed.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #108 of 126

I have come full circle now, I just cannot find any speakers that work well on my PC desk even using iso stands so I have given up on all that.

I am back to headphones for critical music listening and I use use a pair of Creative Inspire T10 speakers for non critical PC use, youtube vids etc.

My current Mojo based study setup is:-

Source - Macbook Pro 13" running Audirvana Plus 2.5.3

DAC - Chord Mojo

Digital Connection - QED Reference USB Type A to Micro B Cable 0.3m

Headphones - Sennheiser HD800

The Mojo / HD800 paring is endgame for me, it took me a while to find my perfect combo but this is it!

I can't easily get rid of a mid bass coloration when listening on the desktop, even with ISO's and the ADAMs.

However, if I bring the speakers well forward on the desk and use the low setting for the stands and angle them upwards, this coloration disappears and the sound IS as good as the T1's I would say; slightly different balance of course, but equal in quality.

There's definitely some tweaking required to optimise!

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #110 of 126

The other problem I had was desk vibrations even on the ISO's...

that is a problem! Its always difficult dealing with the acoustic variables with a speaker setup, especially when we've become used to the relatively perfect acoustic environment set up by a good set of IEM's and cans. I think we need to force ourselves to live with these issues a little if we want to enjoy public listening again :)

Or like you say, go for a downmarket system with which our expectations aren't raised too high in the first place. Currently I am enjoying my portable Riva Turbo X immensely on holiday and that's all I have for public listening. It's just super for it's portability and practicality and sound quality is "enough".

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #111 of 126
Great review, I need to have another listen to the A5x's

P.S I got rid of the JBL's in the end, they just did not work for me long term in a near field setting, very fatiguing with long listening sessions...

I'm in need of speakers and was considering the JBL's as I do some composing and mixing occasionally. Would you not recommend them now? What alternative did you find?

EDIT: never mind, I didn't see your later post.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #113 of 126
This is a very hard topic but let me drop in my 2 cents:

There is little chance that people will have experience with more than 1-2 setups at all. Even if someone does, their taste may vary from yours.
In my case I own:

Focal Chorus 714, Denon 720AE amplifier and Bifrost Multibit as DAC.

Before the purchase I had the chance to listen to 5 speaker sets: Other Focals (more expensive) and Monitor Audio; 3 amps (including 1 'tube only' amp) and I used 5 different songs that had different strong points (specific treble, mids, bass, music complexity and clarity).

I went with the option I did because I was unable to hear any significant difference (the Focal had slightly more controlled bass, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was only my mind playing tricks on me).

I honestly suggest going to a store and testing yourself.

Also, It is very important to know the exact location and direction of the speakers. The room acoustics will play a much bigger difference than choosing between two very similarly performing Speakers.

Perhaps the only speakers that may be significantly different would be magnepans.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #114 of 126

I gave up on speakers, unless they are mounted properly on stands behind your desk the sound will suffer coloration, a good set of cans such as the AKG 702 would be a better buy initially.

Here is my latest desk setup:-

Source - Macbook Pro 13" running Audirvana Plus 2.5.3

DAC - Schiit Modi Multibit

AMP - Schiit Magni 2 Uber

Digital Connection - Optical (Glass), never use USB unless your DAC is galvanically isolated.

Headphones - Sennheiser HD800 & AKG 702

The Schiit combo outperforms the Mojo by a wide margin, no regrets in selling it!

OK in a way it's good to hear that no speakers are doing it for you as I'm prob gonna pick up some used JBL's, either that or shell out for Adam A5's!  The need to use stands is noted, its about time i reorganised anyway.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #116 of 126
Has anyone paired the Fiio X-1 with the Mojo to good effect... Or to any effect at all? Ha!

Hi Evolvist,

Not tried the X1 but I have used the X3ii extensively and that works v well - a great match.

I assume the X1 (2nd gen)  has dig out? I would have considered the mk1 but it didn't have it, as far as I know.

Also, not sure how things have evolved since i got my mojo back in 2015, but to get the cabling to get it going with the X3ii was not an easy path to follow. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #117 of 126
are most people still siding with the adam a5x as the unofficial best companion to the mojo?
there must be other under 1k approaching a similar level of quality? no idea where to start though.

i did see refurbed a5xs for about half their typical price, mind you.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #118 of 126

Hi equedaoii,

I have a mojo set up, that is very honest, neutral, not over bass orientated:-

Source: 5k iMac

DAC: Mojo

Speakers: Yamaha HS7 Studio monitors.

Sometimes take the line out of the Mojo (hold volume buttons down while turning on) wired into a Feliks Elise to the HS7, adding the valves adds warmth, separation & space with some classical,
jazz and acoustic recordings. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #119 of 126

Hi equedaoii,

I have a mojo set up, that is very honest, neutral, not over bass orientated:-

Source: 5k iMac

DAC: Mojo

Speakers: Yamaha HS7 Studio monitors.

Sometimes take the line out of the Mojo (hold volume buttons down while turning on) wired into a Feliks Elise to the HS7, adding the valves adds warmth, separation & space with some classical,
jazz and acoustic recordings. 

ha. thanks for that snapper. good to know.
i'm leaning towards the alpha 50s right now. 
i definitely don't have the expertise nor zeros to add an amp to it; maybe someday!

but it's good to know the mojo is working out well. looking forward to whatever i end up with.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #120 of 126
Hello all,

This is what get my Mojo working...

Source - Custom built Hackintosh running Roon

Wireworld Starlight 7 USB from the Hackintosh to the Mojo

Speakers - Emotiva 4S bi-amp, self powered monitors sitting on IsoAcoustics stands, Emotiva S10 sub, self powered.

Sound

Throws a deep three dimensional soundstage with detail that rivals my Oppo PM-3 headphones. I'm listening to Macy Grey's Sweet Baby from the album Stripped. The imaging extends beyond the left and right boundaries of the speakers. I have heard plenty of systems that can throw imaging beyond the outer speaker locations. But, these also add the dimension of depth. Most of the systems I've heard in the past tend to represent depth in the center but, the depth is foreshortened in the far left and right. In the song, Lucy, there is s trumpet placed some distance behind the right speaker. The guitar in the left of the soundstage fills the space and sounds big - faithfully representing the sound coming out of BIG electric guitar speakers sitting well back in the room. 

On vocals with backup singers, each voice is presented as a distinct part of the sound. it is very easy to pick out and follow individual voices. On Eric Clapton Live, Eric's voice is anchored to his guitar. The backup singers float to the left and right. The piano sounds so very much like a 'real' piano. The snare drum sounds just like a, well, snare drum with vibrating springs stretched below the lower drum skin. 

One of my "Holy Grails" has been vocals without sibilance. Yes, there are still traces of sibilance on grossly equalized recordings. But, with well recorded and engineered recordings it is blessedly not present.

Overall, the sound is very relaxed and unstrained. I hear amazing detail, both macro and micro without sounding analytical or electronic. Ambience is stunning in well recorded tracks. You can easily hear the venue acoustics in a very natural way. On recordings that sound similar with headphones there is often a considerable difference when played through the speakers because of being able to experience the depth and ambience. 

Without the sub the system sounded really good. With the sub adjusted lo fill in where the bookshelf speakers roll off I noticed several changes. The soundstage increased in size to my surprise. Everything seemed to be more in focus and solid. And I was able to hear that bottom octave that was MIA to a degree in some recordings. Properly matched and adjusted, the sub just disappears. Like the desktop monitors, it is ported and when the frequency goes below the designed frequency, rolloff is steep. I can clearly hear 25 Hz test tones but virtual silence at 20 Hz. So, the rolloff is far below virtually every file in my library. The 25 Hz tine is strong and defined. It isn't quite as tight as what I hear from the Oppo PM-3s. 

I would say the one obvious shortcoming is in height. But, only on some recordings. For example, on Patrick O'Hearn's Indigo album, there is a drum in the background that comes in at about 2:32. On full size home rigs, the drummer sits on a platform much higher than the rest of the instruments. On this system, the drummer definitely is raised. Just not to the extent to the best I've heard. A minor complaint. The other shortcoming is the size of the image which is related to the height axis. Like most smallish monitor speakers, it lacks the illusion that you can get up and walk around the performers. Some large planar speakers can do this easily with the right recordings. This system throws an image that can convince you the performers are tens of yards outside the walls of the listening room. 

For three thousand dollars (computer, cables, speakers but not files) it is a very musical and satisfying system. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back