Best SuperMacro Config for Sensaphonics 2X-S?
Nov 12, 2004 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Guys,

What do you think would be the best SuperMacro configuration to go with the Sensaphonics 2X-S?

I emailed Xin yesterday, but I guess he must be very very busy w/ the impending launch and he'll take a while to reply.

At the same time, it's a strange situation, b/c Xin's the guy who knows most about his amp, but he's never listened to the 2X-S (or at least I think so). And yet almost no one here has listened to the SuperMacro (let alone w/ the 2X-S).

IIRC lindrone listened to the SuperMono, which should be similar, so at least we'd have a little bit of a reference point.

Since no one could really give a definitive answer, I'd be happy with general tips of the type "these types of headphones benefit from more buffers/larger caps", or "I'd go with opamp X", etc.

As soon as Xin gets back to me I'll tell you guys, so that anyone else considering the SuperMacro/2X-S combination can benefit.

Thanks!

Andrés

Nov 12, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #2 of 31
Xin just replied to my email.

Here is my email to him:

"Hi Xin,

I am interested in buying your SuperMacro amplifier, and would like to know what you would recommend as the best configuration for use with the Sensaphonics 2X-Soft canalphones.

I have read that you recommend the standard configuration for most people, but being a Head-Fier myself I can't help but consider other options
smily_headphones1.gif
I currently own a PPA and generally prefer the OPA627 to the AD8610s. The sound is fuller and smoother/sweeter. However, I do feel the AD8610 is better for more exciting music. While the socketed version would be good for trying both, I've already put up my PPA for sale and I have to choose which opamps I will keep.

Also, which buffer/caps configuration do you think would be best for the 2X-Soft?

Finally, if I order right now, what would be the expected shipping date? Will the configuration change from now until the 14th launch date?

Thanks, and congrats on your great work! I'm glad this anniversary of your arrival to the USA is accompanied by such a great product launch. Zhu he ni
smily_headphones1.gif

Andrés"

Here's his reply:

"Andres,
If you want to try OPA627, then get the socketed version because it is no different than the standard version (5000uF is too more than enough, so is 4000uF).
If you like fuller sound, then don't bother with the 3x 4x buffers.
Xin"

"BTW,
I don't use OPA627 in the standard version mainly due to the fact that it is too expensive and uses more current. From the standard of product, AD8610 is far more reasonable to be default.
Xin"

Nov 12, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 31
So I guess I'll go socketed so that I can use the OPA627s. And I think I'll go for the big caps, since I like the sound to be full.

But... does anyone know what's the difference between the "full" sound of big caps and the "full" sound of bass boost?

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 31
Bump.

Not really... well... it's just that... 1000+ posts! wow, crazy!
eek.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
So I guess I'll go socketed so that I can use the OPA627s. And I think I'll go for the big caps, since I like the sound to be full.

But... does anyone know what's the difference between the "full" sound of big caps and the "full" sound of bass boost?

Zoide, I understand how you feel now. Be a bit more patient, you will find the answer yourself and you will be very happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 31
I'm not sure if Zodie is still around, but I'm curious how is his results with Sensaphonics 2X-S and supermacro.

I already have SM Standard, and SM OPA627 and Sensaphonics 2X-S on the way. I also just ordered Zu mini to mini. Just curious about other people opinions that already have listened to this setup.

I will save up and hopefully buy SR-71 soon. Very curious also the sound quality improvement SR-71 with Sensaphonics 2X-S and Supermacro with Sensaphonics 2X-S.

Jan 16, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 31
My experience with the SM + 2X-S has been very satisfactory. The sound is very good, and the amp is definitely portable and stylish. Since the 2X-S' plug is not very big, it isn't too hard to fit it together with the other cables in the front of the amp.

The only problem that I have had is that, with the default gain on the SM, the volume control is not very good, probably b/c the 2X-S are very low impedance. What this means is that you can only move the knob very little from the lowest position before the sound gets too loud, and so it seems like the sound is a little bit to the right. In foobar I compensate this by shifting the sound from 8-12% to the left. With the iPod line out, there is no way out of it and I end up running the 2X-S straight out of the headphone out b/c it's too distracting
frown.gif

Keep in mind, though, that I've thought I've heard things slightly louder on one side than the other on other occasions, with different equipment, so it might partially be just me. However, the fact that the volume knob is so close to its lower position does make it more likely for the sound to be imbalanced between channels (afaik, pots don't work very well at the lowest positions). Perhaps I will send the amp back to Xin to have the gain lowered and the balanced checked again (he had already checked it and replaced the circuit board).

All in all, don't let the balance thing scare you too much, though. Other than that issue, I don't really feel that the amp is holding back the 2X-S in any way whatsoever. If anything, it's the perfect complement, being its buddy in the "great sound, great portability" department.

Andrés

Jan 16, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 31
Thanks Zoide,
I find it the same things with ER-4, the sound comes more on the right compared to the left when I only use a little with sound volume(Less than a quarter level).
Do your SM version comes with switch? would increase impedance help? Because my SM version has switch, and I can increase the impedance just so I can make use of the volume.

Just a thought.

Jan 16, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 31
Thanks for the suggestion. I do have the version with the extra switches, and I've tried the impedance switch. When you enable the impedance switch, it not just lowers the sound volume, but also changes the sound signature. While I do gain more volume control, the sound changes in ways that I don't quite like. At least I'm not the only one who's hearing the sound coming from the right at low volume positions. I thought I was going crazy
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe we can ask Xin to lower the gain on our amps?

Jan 16, 2005 at 6:25 AM Post #10 of 31
Hmm that doesn't sound good. I will have two Supermacro that has to be shipped to Dr. Xin then. So I guess I won't be able to use the line out Sik Din.
I will just use the regular volume in ipod adjusted to half, and then eventually you can do the final volume touch with supermacro perhaps?
Zoide, at the end what kind of Supermacro configuration did you order?

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 31
I have the sensaphonics and the SR-71. No problems at all. The volume is at the 9 o'clock position and sounds perfectly balanced. The volume goes to about 12-2 o'clock for use with my hd650/zu.

I'd say that the sesnaphonics sound better with the SR-71 than my PPA w/diamond buffer. There is zero hiss at any position on the dial and it seems to have a more pleasing natural sound than the PPA.

I chose the SR-71 over the supermacro to avoid all the options and just have a simple amp that works great. I have never heard the supermacro so I can't comment on sound differences but I have no complaints about the SR-71.

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:25 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo
Hmm that doesn't sound good. I will have two Supermacro that has to be shipped to Dr. Xin then. So I guess I won't be able to use the line out Sik Din.
I will just use the regular volume in ipod adjusted to half, and then eventually you can do the final volume touch with supermacro perhaps?
Zoide, at the end what kind of Supermacro configuration did you order?

You might want the gain fixed. When I compared the line-out to the headphone out using the SR-71, the line-out won easily. Deeper bass, cleaner, and more dynamic. I know there have been discussion that say otherwise but this wasn't just subtle differences, it was easy to hear.

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 31
I a/b'd the sr71 and the xin supermacro with my sensas at one of the meets, and there was very little difference between the two amps. At the time, we (Ray Samuels, myself and Erikzen) suspected that it may have had a little to do with the switch itself, so it's hard to say which works better with the sensas. The main difference that I found was an improvement in the soundstage. Using either of the amps resulted in an increased feeling of space around the music, ie: greater depth of field to put it in photographic terms. I detected no hiss with either amp, and would recommend either of them for use with the sensas.

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 31
Zoide,
Sennsaphonics has 27Ohm
I have been using ER-4P which also has 27Ohm with no problem. I mean the volume I can turn it up to 25%(Quarter). It sounds too loud with Sensaphonics although the resistance is the same?

I notice that line out does, have better bass, thicker midrange, cleaner sound with Etymotic which is too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back