BEST SUB-500$ DAP (Digital Audio Player)-Reviews, Impressions, Reference List
Apr 9, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #91 of 144
None....I use all the iems below my comments and never heard a thing but music.

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #92 of 144
None....I use all the iems below my comments and never heard a thing but music.

How about the bass response with IEMs? I've heard some say the bass was lacking however I suspect that was because they were using it with bigger cans that needed more power.

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #93 of 144
Using the Ziku HD-X9 and the sound is fine, interface easy to use and dap is well built. Reads my tags no problem. Running about 52 volume for 32 Ohm earphones

Ziku HD-X9.jpg

Apr 11, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #94 of 144
Nice, hope you will enjoy it.
PM me your first impressions with stock firmware and if the dac mode work normally....perhaps there other firmware out there, and once you install it its perhaps complicate to go back to stock.

mine just arrived today. loaded a 128gb sd card, took about 10 mins to be scanned. still on stock firmware, great sound for the price. my only gripe would be the accuracy & durability of the scroll wheel, and the 4k file limit. Volume steps is ok for me, listening between 60 to 80 out of 100. Still deciding to upgrade the firmware or not.

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #95 of 144
mine just arrived today. loaded a 128gb sd card, took about 10 mins to be scanned. still on stock firmware, great sound for the price. my only gripe would be the accuracy & durability of the scroll wheel, and the 4k file limit. Volume steps is ok for me, listening between 60 to 80 out of 100. Still deciding to upgrade the firmware or not.
Yep, volume wheel is the only thing that worry me too.
by there way, there a firmware update in my review as well as another headfier send me one that I have not tested yet...
all firmware update are quite blind move as its taken from russian forum and its in chinese so...but it solve the volume issue headfier have.
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/EUd5/vSDVp8dnE

its from there (if you wanna translate russian):http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=201620&p=2684325&viewfull=1#post2684325

But if your satisfy by how X9 work right now, i dont see the goal of updating firmware. Did the usb dac work perfectly??

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #96 of 144
Yep, volume wheel is the only thing that worry me too.
by there way, there a firmware update in my review as well as another headfier send me one that I have not tested yet...
all firmware update are quite blind move as its taken from russian forum and its in chinese so...but it solve the volume issue headfier have.
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/EUd5/vSDVp8dnE

its from there (if you wanna translate russian):http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=201620&p=2684325&viewfull=1#post2684325

But if your satisfy by how X9 work right now, i dont see the goal of updating firmware. Did the usb dac work perfectly??

I'd stick with stock firmware first. Still enjoying the sound, haven't tried usb dac yet. My main use for x9 is just a standalone dap atm.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #98 of 144
I have an acquaintance selling a FiiO X5 2nd gen for $100. Is it worth it?

I am still currently using a FiiO X3 1st gen, but almost exclusively as a transport to feed various other amps; I almost never use its headphone jack. But if I had a better DAP I might like taking it out alone sometimes and leaving the portable amp behind. So is this a good deal for me, or could something significantly better / more modern be had for similar money? I really don't place much value on BT or touchscreen or any of those more modern features. The only modern features that interest me are better sound & longer battery life.

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #99 of 144
I have an acquaintance selling a FiiO X5 2nd gen for $100. Is it worth it?

I am still currently using a FiiO X3 1st gen, but almost exclusively as a transport to feed various other amps; I almost never use its headphone jack. But if I had a better DAP I might like taking it out alone sometimes and leaving the portable amp behind. So is this a good deal for me, or could something significantly better / more modern be had for similar money? I really don't place much value on BT or touchscreen or any of those more modern features. The only modern features that interest me are better sound & longer battery life.
i'd say go for it. bought one for close to twice that asking price a few months back and i'm very happy with it. ^^
the x5ii has the interesting distinction of using a TOTL burr brown dac (pcm1792a), which makes it way more interesting than its successor imo (the x5iii uses the much more common ak4490).
i posted a bit about it earlier in this thread. can't comment on battery life relative to the x3i, but the sound is totally worth it.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #100 of 144
i'd say go for it. bought one for close to twice that asking price a few months back and i'm very happy with it. ^^
the x5ii has the interesting distinction of using a TOTL burr brown dac (pcm1792a), which makes it way more interesting than its successor imo (the x5iii uses the much more common ak4490).
i posted a bit about it earlier in this thread. can't comment on battery life relative to the x3i, but the sound is totally worth it.
Excellent. Thanks for the advice. :)

I have a couple questions about the SD cards:
1. What is the max size on these slots?
2. I use folder navigation -- will the two cards show up separately or does the UI merge them?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #101 of 144
How about fiio x5 first generation. Have you heard it?. I heard it was the best sounding from x5 series and x5ii close and x5iii worst. So no have possibility to buy it and even if i have m9 as a second option only for local music quality think it could be interesting option to get. Once it was like a flagship and costed really much.

Apr 16, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #102 of 144
As someone who has had an iBasso DX50 for years as my go-to travelling DAP, lost it for 6 months, found it (in a box of junk for some reason) and has now lost it again. Would this be a suitable replacement?
Nice to have something with bluetooth now (for music while jogging) and iBasso doesn't seem to have an inexpensive player out at the moment.

I see the Fiio M7 is only £25 more here in the UK (just quick price check on Amazon), is that enough of a better DAP?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #103 of 144
Excellent. Thanks for the advice. :)

I have a couple questions about the SD cards:
1. What is the max size on these slots?
2. I use folder navigation -- will the two cards show up separately or does the UI merge them?
hadn't noticed the edit, sorry.
1. not sure about the max card size but i can report that mine is working fine with a 128gb sandisk card and i see reports of 200gb cards working too.
2. cards show up separately in folder view (basically as top-level directories).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back