Paul Sheridan

New Head-Fier
to give you a little background on the system i listen to on a daily basis:

musical fidelity V-DAC
Sugden Bijou Headmaster
ATH-W1000 Headphones

Source(s)
Lossless FLAC files on PC /Tidal hifi subscription

I am looking to get an upgrade on the Musical Fidelity v-dac which i currently use to connect to my PC (via USB). I listen to either ripped CD files (in FLAC) or via the tidal subscription. Is there anything out there within my budget (or close to) which will be a big difference to my system? (i have read up on the chord mojo, but assuming that this is only really for portable usage?).

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 14
Chord Mojo is the best I've used in that price range, even though it's a portable unit.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 14
The Mojo has 3 things to be aware. It runs on battery power. Some people have had good luck and others report battery death too soon. It has no analog in, cannot be used as a standalone amp. Since you mentioned Tidal, Chord does not support MQA.

I am running a Chord Mojo as my main DAC in a tertiary office setup. It sits on top of a yamaha mini stack and is really quite super if you can get past the bizarre UI. Mine has lived almost all its life (3 years so far) running off a USB phone charger full time or a USB computer port. Sound quality is great, output level quite good for driving intergrated amps, and plays almost any sample rate of anything.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sho...lation-quarantine-set-up.927934/post-15524848

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 14
I really enjoy the SMSL SU-8 which I've had as my desktop dac since December 2018. I use the fiio q5s and m11 for portable or at work. The SU-8 isn't that big and looks good(IMO). Great DAC if you ever decide to move to a balanced amp down the road. The new m200 is like the SU-8 but with added bluetooth options and using an akm chip as well.

Jun 2, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 14
Topping D50s is what I like in that price range. Lovely unit. Small, built well, and has the inputs your need. It is not balanced, but outputs plenty of signal so your amp will have no problems getting the volume you want.

It's been measured and proven to be an excellent DAC.

Jun 3, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 14
awesome, thanks for this info! both the Topping D50s and SMSL SU-8 are the same price - is there much difference in quality of feartures/performance? If you had to choose between the two which one would you go for??

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 14
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back